Realtek HDMI Audio driver for ATI/AMD

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by thatguy91, Dec 16, 2011.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Realtek has just released R2.67 of the ATI HDMI audio driver.

This is the driver for audio over HDMI on ATI/AMD cards, including the HD6900 series etc. This driver should be used over the 'generic' driver which comes with catalyst. Remember when you install a newer version of Catalyst in the future, to do a custom install and make sure the HDMI driver that comes with catalyst is not selected to install, as its comparable to the Microsoft UAA driver for onboard sound (in other words, inferior and may not represent the best performance/sound quality).

Also released at the same time is the normal Realtek R2.67 for motherboard onboard sound as well.

If you have Realtek onboard audio as well, install both, otherwise just install the HDMI audio driver. The HDMI audio driver ties in with the Realtek motherboard onboard sound control panel (as a tab at the top).

Previous version of the HDMI audio driver was from September, and was version R2.64.

Both can be downloaded now from the Realtek site:
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Have fun :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Funny how they now have a uniform version number.
    It used to be 2.66 for onboard, 2.64 for ATI HDMI.

Btw, is that SoundBack thing kinda like Creative's ALchemy?
    Just noticed it now.

3. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    Anyone else having a dl speed of light (less than 8kb/s, regardless of server)?

Thank you thatguy91

4. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    YES! Its always like that there :mad4:

5. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Not to mention it's a new version release.
    Most likely it's been swamped by download requests.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Yeah, most likely lots of requests, plus the Realtek servers aren't the fastest around at the best of times!

Its good to see people actually use it. Its one of those unfortunate things that unless you actually know, you probably just rely on the generic one that comes with Catalyst. Also, if the Catalyst one is updated, it will install and 'replace' this driver, even if it is a 'lesser' driver.

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'd never touch AMD's HD Audio driver with a ten-foot barge pole because it might accidentally enhance image quality in games.

:p

8. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    yes, its been like that for years, and I hate Realtek for that reason

9. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

It depends on the download server I believe along with what your downloading. I always got crap speeds when downloading anything audio-related from Realtek, yet Network drivers download just fine...

10. DannyG

DannyG Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD6970

11. sprower

sprower Master Guru

GPU:
    TriFire5770 9800GT Physx
  12. DannyG

DannyG Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD6970
    Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64bits) Driver only (Executable file) R2.67 2011/12/16 99093k

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    This is compression done properly :)

Realtek R2.67 onboard + AMD HDMI R2.67 driver:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?piyjspnabelv7a9

Windows 7 x86 + x64 only. 38MB total, self extracting archive

Extract, and run the setups from the respective folders. Alternatively, you can go to task manager, end process on ravcpl, disable the onboard sound device/HDMI audio device in device manager, install manually for each of them, then reload ravcpl (when onboard R2.67 is installed) from the program files\Realtek folder.

The alternative method is much quicker because the stupid Realtek method means you have to uninstall, restart, install, restart for both of them. Its completely and entirely unnecessary, its just an ancient installer that can install them 'dynamically'.

On a new install, that is the only time where the installer I think is necessary.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  14. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I'd like to update my sound drivers but as using anything but the generic versions always installs the absolutely horrible RealTek control panel application I've resigned to use the Microsoft/AMD-shipped versions.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    You don't even have to have the ravcpl.exe loaded. Its not loaded directly by the driver, its loaded through the registry start 'run' command. I won't specify where it is, because its much easier to use msconfig :)

Click start, and in the start search area, type:
    msconfig

- click on 'Startup' tab
    - uncheck the tickbox for 'Realtek HD Audio Manager' (this is ravcpl/ravcpl64, the Realtek control panel)
    - uncheck any other thing you don't want. Don't go too heavy handed, but guaranteed there is probably crap there loading that you don't need.
    - restart to show it works ;)

You can still change the audio settings through the 'sound' control panel, including audio bit depth/frequency output, loudness equalisation, environment settings (living room is good), virtual surround encoding for decoding by external receivers etc.

16. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
  17. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Yeah, I know that.

I've disabled it through Spybot S&D, it has tools for startup management.

Problem is that I really dislike the application and I have to manually kill it through the task manager each time I've used it.

Since I can tell absolutely no difference between the Realtek and AMD/Microsoft drivers it's just not worth the effort.

With Catalyst or Intel's LAN drivers I can neatly circumvent the bloatware and just install the drivers, not so with Realtek however.

18. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    thanks.really helped.

19. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Tried to install these in Windows 8 and I get access to 2-channel audio from my 7970.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB