Realtek® ALC892 vs Asus Xonar DX.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by anticupidon, Jan 26, 2020.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    My MSI B450 board features this sound chip.
    Although it is presented as best in its class and whatever, I am curious what kind of improvement I'll get with a dedicated sound card, the old Asus Xonar DX.
    Found it for 20€ in its original case and manuals , used but in good condition.
    Another reason is that this particular sound card is fully Linux supported and there aren't many 100% supported.
    So guys, will my Edifier speakers will make that Xonar justice, or it will be more a placebo effect and waste of money?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    tbh, my experience with oxygen chips is poor, from channel swapping and drop out issues to bsods just opening an eax2 game.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    BSODs are Windows issues, which I've distanced myself from.
    Thanks for your time and input, but a dedicated sound card should offer better SNR and offloads cycling from the CPU and also better shielding, as in no hissing or humming sound, right?

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, bsods are not simply windows issues.

Theres a lot more to it then that, op amps, dac, capacitor grade, filtering, shielding, etc.

http://maxedtech.com/xonar-sound-cards-issues/

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    1) There shouldn't be any impact on performance by using dedicated soundcard or mobo soundcard. Back in Pentium days, it was a possibility, not anymore with modern CPUs.

2) Soundcard still can hiss and hum depending on how you set it. Place it close to video card and it might cause hissing, due to electronic interference. If there ground issues, you also will get humming/hissing. So pay attention.

Modern motherboards has somewhat decent sound in them. Whether you will be able to tell the difference, it depends on the quality of speakers or headphones you having and your ears.

EDIT: buying soundcard as used, means there chance of degraded components. If you feel like messing with it, yeah, it might be worth. For clean stereo output, I'd get external dac and amp if you need to power headphones.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Not much of headphones guru myself, just some Edifier speakers.
    I reckon the electronic degradation, but for 20€ couldn't hurt.
    Never owned a dedicated sound card and this part of PC building was left grey, on default.
    Maybe I am missing out and could spurr my deflated interest in PC hardware.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i just wouldn't recommend jumping into audiophilia with an end of life sound card is all.

GSDragoon likes this.
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Also a valid point. @Astyanax you have a blunt to the point matter of discussion, but I can see the logic and reason. Thanks for your input.
    Better than long phrases without any meaning.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Using Xonar D2X here pcie works fine with the 5.1 system and have headphone amp. For 40$ its worth it. Drivers works with windows 10 1909.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yeah, my main goal is just getting my feet wet and under Linux. And experience myself the difference between onboard and dedicated sound card.
    Sorry to be so driven about it, but I couldn't care less about Win10 in my personal computer.
    Work related, Terminal server and AD whatever. But at home, in my own computer. I choose to do whatever.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Unless your pc fits the criteria here
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...hanges-in-windows-10-version-1607/ba-p/364894

if its purely Linux, them go ahead, the open source drivers for these boards is pretty good.