Realms Deep 2020

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, Aug 12, 2020.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    so dark messiah but worse gfx?

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Thought I posted that 30 minute gameplay clip, sorry. :)

And the game is meant as a spiritual successor to the Hexen series.
    It takes small inspirations from other titles, including Dark Messiah... but, is not a fully blown RPG or immersive sim.

And, graphics, visual fidelity and it's appeal... is up to the individual.
    Graven looks gorgeous.

serbicu likes this.
  3. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Gorgeous... you mean, let's disable bilinear filtering and call it a "stylized visuals". After all, kids love Minecraft, don't they?

4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The art in Graven is designed with "Nearest Neighbor" in mind.
    You do realize, software rendering existed long before that abomination called Minecraft ever existed, right?

And, technically, any art "style" for any game is by definition, stylized.
    Just because some dislike Graven's style doesn't mean it's bad. The art being put into the game is fantastic, lots of very talented guys... and I wish I could show some of the stuff being worked on right now.
    The texture art, combined with the level designers... it's really amazing looking.

5. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    Graven looks iike WoW in 1st person and i hate that look. Was cool in 2004 though.

6. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    The absence of bilinear filtering was a necessity for performance reasons. You couldn't do SW linear filtering with playable framerates even with highly optimized asm code. This whole era of "pixel art" and let's make it look "old school" is plain stupid. It's an idiotic camouflage for games without budget/tools or skill and Graven is very good example.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Wanna play GRAVEN early?!!
    Here’s your chance! The game is still far away, however we’d love to get some early feedback on the game!
    Want to know more? Sign up here!

[​IMG] upload_2020-11-8_12-32-17.gif

We are looking for around 20 to 30 people to participate in this.
    Those chosen will gain access to a confidential Alpha demo build, and a chance to offer feedback. This is under an NDA, so you will have to sign a legal document and you won't be able to discuss it anywhere or show anything.

AsiJu and Horus-Anhur like this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Signed up only to find out last that contact via Discord... so that rules me out then.

(I saw it was a required field but assumed "none" is a valid answer).

@Damien_Azreal
    perhaps forward feedback to 3DR that the sign up form should clearly state that Discord account is mandatory

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Is there a reason why having a Discord account rules it out?

I can mention it, but most likely because it's stated that it's a required field that will count as stating it's mandatory.
    A lot of developers/publishers are moving to private Discord servers for testing purposes. It gives much more direct interaction with the testers.

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Reason is don't have one and don't intend to create one at the time :)
    Besides even if I did I doubt I can re-enter with the same Steam account and email.

Makes sense though for a small group of testers to use Discord for communicating with the devs.

Someone more deserving will surely get to parttake in my stead.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Sorry to hear that.

But, yeah, using Discord has made testing much easier. It's really simplified being able to get direct feedback, let people know about updates.
    And, given how you can setup servers to have public channels for testers, and private channels for devs/staff...

Much better then the old "fill out this form, submit it when you run into an issue" days.

12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Duke Nil likes this.
  13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, couldn't post anything here because I was at work when the demo went live.
    Been excited about this for the past month or so. :D

Really hope everyone likes it.

14. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    OOH, I'll have a look once I get back from work!

15. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I played just a bit of the demo, but then had to stop to do other stuff. It doesn't have a save feature, so I didn't pick it up again.
    It also has the problem of having a very long, unskipable start, where a character tells a story.

In technical terms is on the level of the first Unreal, but the art desing is more refined. This game is gorgeous in it's retro style.
    But gameplay was the biggest problem. At the start, we have just a staff that does melee damage. After a while we get a spell book that allows the player to shoot fire. But it's damage is low and mana is scarce.
    So is the first mission, the game devolved into a guacamole of hitting zombies with a staff.....
    I don't know if the game improves after entering the city, but I wasn't having much fun with it.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    You can skip the introduction cutscene by holding E.
    And the boat ride is only about 5 minutes. We decided to take a "Half-Life" approach to the opening, and make the boat ride not skipable.

There is no save system in place yet, the checkpoint system while playing respawns you to certain "points", but doesn't save your progress.
    We originally had no plans to do a demo this early. But, Geoff approached us about featuring GRAVEN, so we did it.

Spells... are not weapons. They are tools.
    When you pick up the first spell, there's a note next to the dead body that tells the player that it is not effective against enemies. And is better used to puzzles, other such actions.
    Lighting explosive "peat" barrels and throwing them at enemies.
    GRAVEN is very lore driven, and it's encouraged that players read the notes around the world.

17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I was talking about the boat ride, which takes too long to finish. I understand it's just a demo, but not having a checkpoint after the boat ride is a big problem.

I was expecting that Graven would be in the same line as Amid Evil, in terms of combat.
    That melee was just the base weapon. But the bulk of combat would be spells and magic orbs and lighting.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    GRAVEN is not going to be like Amid Evil.
    Was never the intention. Amid Evil is more Heretic, while GRAVEN is more Hexen, with other immersive-sim influences. A slower paced game about exploration, puzzle solving and combat.

And, sorry you feel that way about the boat ride. But, it's an intentional decision to now allow it to be skipable.
    As I said, it's only about 5 minutes. In the full release, we may make it so people can skip it after they've done it once. Maybe.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  19. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Cool, I also love immersive sims :D
    Having one in medieval times, with magic and puzzles seems pretty good to me.

20. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    So I tried the Graven demo and finished at the lighthouse. I'm interested so far - the visuals and sound are more than fine by me (I love the retro aesthetic - it fits the atmosphere well). I found the spells a bit weak, though. It seemed that they aren't meant to kill, but instead to apply debuffs (fire, paralysis). Is that correct? The weapons felt good, although the "shotgun" crossbow could feel a bit punchier (also the secondary attack lagged the game when the pellets exploded, but that will no doubt be fixed in the final release). A map is sort of necessary here - I too felt like I had no direction (I don't want a minimap, but the default map is necessary to orient oneself).

Performance was okay for me on 1080p and 1440p - 4k dropped to 45fps, but you did mention that the Unreal engine build the demo ran on is buggy. Overall, I fell that the game has a lot of potential, and I'm definitely interested in playing the final product. Also, the intro boat-ride didn't bother me. It's about a minute long, and is way shorter than Half-Life's tramride.