Really odd Win7 x64 and IE8 crash

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by finster, Dec 31, 2009.

1. finster

finster Member

GPU:
    EVGA Gefore GTX 560 TI
    So, I finally my new rig back to together and now I'm having this crap bother me. On a certain site (Bioware forums to be exact) my whole machine will freeze and the reset button is the only fix. But, when I boot up again the date in the BIOS will be changed to something that seems random and the clock in Windows changes too. I've never seen anything like this in all my years of owning PCs.

Any ideas what can cause this? The MB is brand new so I don't think it could be the CMOS battery. I guess this is the price of owning windows before a service pack is released..

2. kylegoddard

kylegoddard Member

GPU:
    HIS IceQ4+ 4870 512mb
    Bios update? I just visited the site with Windows 7 x64 and IE8 with no issue. So I guess you can say the issue isn't OS wide.

Covering the basics: Update java and flash, which may be used in the forums.

3. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    try with Firefox Chrome or Opera and check if that happens, if it doesnt happen its bcoz of IE8

4. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    BioWare site shouldn't use any flash or java.... sounds more like corrupted IE cache or a bad hdd sector.

5. finster

finster Member

GPU:
    EVGA Gefore GTX 560 TI
    Well, it seems to be any site that crashes me but only if I use the scroll bar or scroll with mouse wheel.

It's some weird hardware problem as I formatted/reinstalled Windows and it still does it, not really anything on my machine yet so I figure why not. I thought it might h0ave been a program I installed but that idea is out now. I'm having so many problems with my new rig I'm so very close to tossing it out the window and buying a Dell.

I'll try out a different browser I guess, thanks for the suggestions. It's odd because it never did this until I got my MB back from RMA and got my rig back together.

Is it possible that ASUS could have screwed up the USB on my board? Both my keyboard and mouse are USB...maybe that's it.

6. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Actually..... I had issues with certain usb devices when i had a bad stick of ram, might try a few runs of mem test?

7. finster

finster Member

GPU:
    EVGA Gefore GTX 560 TI
    I'll give it a try, although the windows memory tester didn't find any errors.

Update to this annoying problem, it's not just in IE that it's freezing the system..I was just reinstalling one of my games and it froze on that too.

Another part of the fun I've been having is the MB wouldn't recognize the graphics card. It worked fine for 2 days, then today I turn the machine on a I get the beep followed by 3 shorter beeps. I tried 2 different cards that I know work fine but I couldn't get it to boot until I reset the CMOS and hit the MemOK button on my board to load failsafe settings. I don't even know if that helped or not because I reconnected all my drives and fans, etc AFTER I thought I fixed it and it started beeping again.

I'm going guess and say the freezing issue is related to the VGA not detected problem somehow.