REAL 480GTX Bench!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kohlendioxidus, Mar 4, 2010.

1. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    im sure it can, i mean considering physx would be using some of the rendering power of a 480/470, but yeah i definately doubt the rocket demo would work on an 8800GT as graphically its not doing so much so maybe using a lot of the gpu for the physx.

Of course you can.

I think its a con that theyre deliberatly using something that noone else has access to to compare cards, summit fishy about that tbh. if i was nvidia id have thrown a load of money at the unigine guys to optimise for my card for preview benchies.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    As per above, i really do think that Nvidia's marketing guys have no respect for some PC people.

Do they really think people wont notice the version number, or maybe its so little difference its not worth mentioning, maybe there is no advantage and we are just being tinfoil hat guys, guess we will find out ina few weeks.
    I'm sure if there was an unfair advantage, ATI would of spoke up ty now though, but we wont know till the end of the month.

Since i will be uber poor till about May, i would like that the 5850/70/90 guys with NV cards as PhysX cards to be as vocal as possible about Metro2033, though none of that its not necessary stuff lol.

3. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    There're no games-only Crysis- that U'd test these DX 11 Cards,they're too strong for all the games.To see the difference between these cards,we'll need a game like Crysis with DX11.I'm sure Fermi will be much faster then:banana:

4. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    They will look like idiots (Nvidia) if they have tried to pull the wool over everyones eyes with that Heaven benchmark. with my card when i get to the dragon its slows to 15fps, i really want to get heaven 1.1 and see if they have improved it here. the rest of the time its 35-55 fps with 2 other places slowing it slightly again.

5. Infiniti3D

Infiniti3D Master Guru

GPU:
    8800 Ultra H²0
    I payed 550 Euro's for my 8800 Ultra wich is still doing a great job, really i dont need something faster. But if i feel the need to upgrade i think a GTX480 is going last another 3.5 years. I need a card that's future proof.
    Only if Nvidia is charging a redicilous amont of money for GF100 i will consider a AMD GFX Card becouse ATI is doing a very good job
    So saving my money and waiting:)

6. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    I really hope the new cards -either Green or Red's answer- will give me the reason to upgrade my system. I'm not spending 3.5k on a system that can't run Crysis or STALKER: CS well. I need to upgrade EVERYTHING except my G5.

7. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Crysis is future proof.If you want to play Crysis with all mods + 8xFSAA 16xAF i think you should stay with your current system for another year,why the hell you should spend 3.5k for a system? :3eyes:

8. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    The only conclusion i got from this post is that you need to learn to read and understand a paragraph the way it's typed instead of making yourself look like an idiot.

9. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Well...a nice motherboard with a couple of WD 2TB RE4's in RAID will set you back ~850 euro, 250 for decent speakers, 400-1400 for a 24-30" screen, 400 for one videocard, 100-150 for Windows, 250-950 for an Intel CPU, 50-65 for a CPU cooler, 225 for a Corsair P800 case, 150-200 for a PSU, 150-250 for RAM. It'll be hard to stay under 3k with a complete system. It's not like I need a new system except to play the latest games...but even Crysis still runs on this thing. I'm not that much of a graphics whore, I just put decent titles on a list for later. And I have hundreds of games here.

10. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    This is the smartest thing that I have read in this whole thread...Thank You.

If there is one thing I have learned it is, don't buy the first generation of cards from a new series......that series of cards will only get better and cheaper.

11. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    watching this video, the 5870 is actually at a really close level and faster in some part when tesselation don't hit the card, can only speculate, but tesselation is not used at this level in game and if the 5870 is close like this of the 480 without tesselation, this not look good at all for the 480. how many games out use tesselation ? ( for recall, the ati only use some dedicated processor for the tesselation ( 16 or 20 i don't remember), when Nvidia can use all his 512 cuda for do it) Try imagine without tesselation what will be the result... We all know the 480 will surely be a beast in GPGU, afterall the card have been designed for this, but don't look impressive at all for 3D if we rely on this bench.

anyway, really strange settings, 1x aniso, no AA, and with the range to the monitor, can't say if mipmap is fully enabled or not...

12. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I read it exactly the way its typed. But you should use your advice on yourself.
    Since you are referring to
    As sugarcoating my post. While Its just a result of the bench. And nothing more.
    But hey lets not make this thread about our posts. :p

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The 3DMark06 Bench is a joke thou..
    I had higher scores with my old system and a single GTX260 with no OC'ing going on.
    So synthetic benchmarks are kinda useless.
    Will be much more interesting to see what Guru3D and all the other sites can push out of the card when it runs real games @1080p with some AA and AF candy turned on.

14. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    damn wright here :thumbup:

15. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    and also then we have to take it with a pinch of salt as the game will be optimized for nvidia. I'll wait for C&C 4 Tiberium Twilight to see where the thruth lies.
    Look for example @ Metro 2033 as it is optimized for GTX 480, as for recomended settings it stays only core i7 and nvidia, no word over ATI&AMD, but they say that it will run perfect on AMD/ATI systems, wi'll see.:3eyes:

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    As an Nvidia user also with 8800GTX my thinking is considering GTX285 performance; if GTX470-480 can offer near double-performance I'll be happy with it. Heck, right now, I'd probably be happy with any Sub-£200+ card.

For those already with GTX275, 280, 285 and especially 295; you'll obviously have less reason to upgrade. Right now, the amount of software available for dx11 doesn't make it essential to go to dx11 and we all know that's the reality.

I also doubt dx9 support will be dropped anytime soon especially when dev's have quoted very short periods of time to port to dx11 so there's no need to drop dx9 support. You must remember that dx11 doesn't really have much in the sense of "essential features". The difference isn't as big as between dx7 and dx9 for example. Once games catch-up, the performance advantage of dx11 will ofcourse make it worthwhile.

Even those looking to upgrade for games like Crysis 2 at the end of the year will find that their current hardware will run adequately. Prolonging the life of your gfx hardware is just a matter of less/no aa/af. I rarely use aa/af, usually none especially when playing online and rarely if ever playing single player so I always get high sustained fps game allowing.

Without even looking at GTX470-480 benchmarks I know it will give me more than enough performance for when I do eventually upgrade. It's a single-gpu card. I'm expecting single-gpu performance, not a miracle.

p.s. I bank on games being optimized for Nvidia. :nerd:

17. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The only conclusion i got from this post is that you need to learn to read and understand a paragraph the way it's typed instead of making yourself look like an idiot.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    My take on it:

It all comes down to price. It's pretty disheartening to see that it barely beats a six month old 5870 in a test that the GTX480 is supposed to be heavily favored in. Couple that with the fact that ATI seems to be on a roll with getting their product releases out, and apparently want to have a whole new architecture out by the end of this year, I find it hard to recommend anyone to buy a Fermi unless it offers that much better of a deal than current ATI offerings.

I originally wanted it because I do a lot of GPGPU work and that thing + Nexus (New NVIDIA dev env) would have been like awesome, but now I can't really justify spending the money for a card that's barely faster than what I have now. Guess I'll stick to my 260's for GPGPU work.

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Since switching from Nvidia to ATI, I've played a lot of "Nvidia optimizied" games, and have had a much better time on my ATI card. Go figure.

20. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz
    LOL. 3.5k? My system cost me no where near that amount and I can assure you that it runs Crysis and Stalker silky smooth on my settings with 8XAA 16XAF at 1920X1200. 50-60fps.