Readeon Pro Software forces old driver download from Windows Upate...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Sentenced, May 13, 2020.

1. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
    ....when used with a no-Pro Radeon card, that is. I have an R9 360 that used to crash (black screen) when idle, for over a year now so I thought that I should try the Radeon Pro Drivers since AMD offered support for consumer cards as well...

Even though it would work fine, problem was that every time I went to Windows Update for normal Windows 10 update stuff, it would always download a 2018 AMD video driver. Then whenever I installed normal Radeon drivers this wouldn't happen. "Let's try the new Radeon Pro drivers again", oh another version forced this time, 25.something......

Question is, why is the Windows Update tricked into thinking that there is no video driver installed, and should AMD actually tweak something on their Pro drivers to make this stop? Yes, I tried DDU, stopping driver installations etc but the question has to do about AMD's awareness mostly...

2. ApexiTT

ApexiTT Active Member

GPU:
    780ti Sli
    Not sure if you mean Stopping the driver installations as in you manually doing it?
    When I make custom drivers I disable Windows from installing drivers to the specific Hardware ID in Group policy editor so this wouldnt even be an issue and I agree there should be communication with Microsoft from Amd to prevent this on YOUR driver issue.

3. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
    Thank you for your answer! By "stopping" I think I just used the device installation setting @ the control panel but as far as I remember it would still try to download these damned old drivers anyway. I could try the group policy editor but for now I prefer to use the standand AMD drivers because a) they seem to have fixed black the issue (not 100% sure though) and b) All these things are such a PITA for me.

BTW, The equivalent NVidia "Studio" drivers that I use for a 1650 on another system don't have this problem... Just these Pro AMD drivers, that I woudn't call anything near custom or strange or DIY drivers of course. They're just a couple of clicks away on the official AMD site...