READ: World Of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Random2005, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Random2005

Random2005 Guest

Before you think this should be in the Games Section, it shouldn't because this is about Graphics in particular. ;)

Ok. I have a GeForce FX 5200 and am "thinking" about getting a GeForce 6800 Ultra. BUT, I want to know if WoW is playable with GeForce FX 5200? Because what's the point of buying a new card if I can play WoW anyway?

What is so good about 6800 Ultra?

Thanks ;)

2. yes, WoW is playable on graphics accellerators from the past few years. it's not a graphically demanding game.

what's so good about a 6800ultra is that it renders graphics faster. you can game modern games like farcry with all settings high, apply anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering and at high resolutions with good frames per second.

3. Random2005

Random2005 Guest

hmmm i mean is it playable "performance" wise on a GeForce FX 5200?

4. yes, it is. WoW isn't a graphically demanding game.

5. Random2005

Random2005 Guest

so it wont be choppy much? :O

also, where can i get good deals for geforce 6800 ultra?

6. newegg.com

i would get a 6800gt and oc it to 6800ultra speeds.

7. Random2005

Random2005 Guest

hmm ok :/

might sound stupid but ... can u overclock any card? what can i use?

8. yes, you can oc any card. use rivatuner to do so.

9. Random2005

Random2005 Guest

what does overclocking improve on? i got rivatuner but dont know how to overclock it like where the setting is? and how much to oc it? :p

10. Rurouni Kenshin

Rurouni Kenshin Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800GT AGP 256MB @416/1179
    Do some reading dude. Search the interent, google is your friend.

11. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    an ultra is a waste of money. save ur 100 bucks and get a GT. even if u don't OC, its still a great card.

BUT - big waste if u only play WoW. 6600GT comes to mind...

12. Random2005

Random2005 Guest

honest truth, i dont have any programs running at startup or background ... i have NO GAMES except WoW installed ... nothin is eating away at my memory everything is fine ... i do regular defrags cleanups e.t.c plus if i lower settings like turn off AA AF and put High Performance on my Settings plus in WoW put all settings to low and play in windowed mode ( which uses 30% less resources, trust me it does ) what do u think the game "performance" wise would be? becoz of course u have to sacrifice somethings for other things? :p

13. BrianWasHere

BrianWasHere Member

GPU:
    MSI R6850
    Well, I remember a while ago when I was overclocking a geforce2 you were supposed to move it up in increments of 5MHz.

14. Random2005

Random2005 Guest

also would help if i told u my specs

windows xp sp2 2.8ghz pentium 4 1gb ram

15. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    You might be able to play WoW with that FX5200 but I don't think your going to have the settings set very high in there.

16. Ultrax75

Ultrax75 Guest

With my 6800 ultra running at 430/1200 I run WoW with 1280x1024, High Quality, everything on max. However my FPS can do down to 27 in rare occasions and is usually around 40 to 60. The point is that a FX5200 is much weaker than a 6800 Ultra. WoW IS a demanding game if you really want all the eye candy the game can give you. However, if you turn down the settings you should be fine. At lower settings my FPS is much much higher...

Another point however is that fact that your experience will get better with a new graphics card. You will se further, have clearer textures and more effects (due to settings... but still...) and it will run smoother...

17. Sobe

Sobe Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    WoW has eye-candY??

:confused:

18. Ultrax75

Ultrax75 Guest

Put the drivers at HQ. Put the res to 1280x1024 then everything at max (including all shaders)... It actually do look great then. If you STILL dont think so... enable 4x AA and 16xAF... If you don't think the game looks good now... hm what on earth do look good then... (Do not say Doom 3 and HL2... sure they look good but actually not THAT much better).

19. wow is not a graphically demanding game. it was made to run on old cards. look through the WoW forums and see what some people are running the game on. reason some people get poor performance is through software problems with WoW. WoW has many technical issues. i myself with an oc'ed 9600xt was getting 20fps regardless of resolution and with a patch it dropped to 10fps in some areas. it's part of the reason i stopped playing WoW. i'm going to start playing again and see if the newer patch and my new card will handle the game well this time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2005
  20. oc'ing makes everything faster. but if your just a casual gamer i wouldn't bother with a high end card. get a 6600gt or a regular 6800 card.