1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaction time/input lag CSGO vs in System

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by dervu, Feb 7, 2018.

1. dervu

dervu New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000/GF610M
    I was suspecting this is a problem for very long time and recently tested it to have some proof.
    In any test like humanbenchmark at webbrowser I get like 150-200ms reaction time, even at win32 application based tests.
    In CSGO I get 200-300 ms. There is a chance that I get 150ms but it is like 1 in 100 tries while at system I can repeat under 200ms. If I try to react to sound I can get like 100ms.

I am using laptop with I5 3210m and Intel HD4000, Windows 7 64bit, no vsync, everything on lowest settings 800x600, 75hz external screen, 75fps or 300fps no difference, if using discrete 610M card there is no difference, raw input on off no difference, monitor scaling, GPU scaling no difference, everything set to max performance in graphics, even disabled manufacturer software for power management and it made difference and everything works faster... only not that poor CSGO reaction time.
    I used any possible thing to get more performance, disabling every neccesary program, service, unlocking cores, setting hardware to MSI mode, disabling HPET, updating drivers, switching usb ports, my DPC latency is now between 50-300us at idle (ethernet card makes biggest spikes to 300us, without it it doesn't exceed 100us).
    I changed thermal paste a couple of months ago, cleaned laptop inside, so there is no temperature throttling.

It is visible too in online game. I know how CSGO works and it sometimes seems ridiculous, but it is not about that since I tested it offline. I have been playing FPS games for at least 15 years and it is recently getting worse. Is this hardware not able to keep up while getting 300fps on stupid reaction time map to get accurate results?

It should not be my monitor because I would get worse reaction at browser tests too. Would ingame reaction time suffer because hardware isn't able to keep up while doing 300fps?

Any ideas?

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    It's an ancient engine, what are you expecting?
    Old engine isn't really comparable to a browser test anyways.

3. dervu

dervu New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000/GF610M
    Maybe it is the way it is meant to be, but I just want to be sure. Maybe someone with better hardware could tell me if there is any difference on his side or I'll ask on reddit maybe.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Too many variables to to get a get representation anyways.

What If you have the reaction time of a grandma or the other person does; or they get 2000 fps with their system(you get the idea lol).

5. dervu

dervu New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000/GF610M
    So, one person made that comparison for me and his reaction at web test and csgo is pretty close to each other. Something must be wrong at my system or it is too bad.

6. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 Fury X
    My guess is that the culprit has to be newer drivers, an OS update, or recent patches to the game itself (worst case since you can't undo those). That is, per it getting worse over time, and given that presumably it worked fine before / you didn't change anything over-time yourself. That limits you to something "auto-update" in style.

--If it was Windows 10 it'd be believable that WUA was changing drivers on you ... yet you've mentioned "7" and so I doubt that. It's always possible that a Windows Update caused the issue, yet I'd also really doubt it. Pending what you have installed that has the ability to update, that's probably where you'd have to start looking. Sadly I've never heard of anything such as an "AntiVirus" causing input-lag.

If you think it's the game sucking up processing power enough-so that Windows is starved and lagging behind on input, try elevating the "Explorer" and "DWM" processes to high-priority (just for the sake of testing). You might also try taking the human-benchmark reaction test while the game is running in the background churning out 300fps and see what your browser-results are. If you score significantly worse, it may very well be the machine not keeping up. [Though this still sounds doubtful]

Anything that installs a low level mouse-hook could cause input-lag under load, though you've mentioned closing everything unnecessary already. To rule out software 100%, you might have to consider formatting the laptop and wiping it to a clean slate without Windows Updates installed, running the game, testing latency in CS:GO, and then slowly updating piece by piece (or in small chunks). (assuming your machine is responsive fresh, in which it's then just a long and painful trial and error to find what hurts it)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  7. dervu

dervu New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000/GF610M
    I think it is rather display kind of lag. If I react to sound and I click reaction is ok, it is only the case to visual reaction that suffers. So input lag should be ok, but something is wrong with display time. Maybe I will try older drivers or something, or just reinstall system if nothing helps. Didn't reinstall for long time, but I done many clean up things to get rid of any thing, including antiviruses. Only thing that stays is TrueCrypt that should not give any performance issues, as processor is supporting AES or whatever I chose to code files.

8. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    What monitor do you have? That alone could account for 50ms.

9. dervu

dervu New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000/GF610M
    LG Flatron W2242T, set to 75hz. That would not explain difference in web browser/game reaction time. This is the case only in game.
    I tested it on varying resolutions and refresh rates.

10. dervu

dervu New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000/GF610M
    I uninstalled Intel graphic driver with DDU uninstaller, installed driver from 2 years back and nothing changed.
    Same thing with DWM and explorer priority, testing on webbrowser while game is running at map, still same times at webbrowser. So it is not like there is not enough power.

11. dervu

dervu New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000/GF610M
    One thing I noticed is that after windows reinstall it felt better, then again after installing drivers it felt weird. I reverted all chipset drivers to microsoft ones and it again feels like I have more time to react. I don't know if it is something wrong with Lenovo drivers or hardware is somehow bad, but it works, and I get more fps.