RDNA3 RX7000 Seriess! Owners Thread, Tests, Benchmarks, Screenshots, Overclocks, & Tweaks!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CPC_RedDawn, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Are you sure its not something else? Black screens can occurs also if system ram is unstable.

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    When I replaced that first 7800XT, I used GTX1660Ti for a few weeks, no problems (even played games with it). Got this new 7800XT, no problems for almost a month. That first 7800XT was not able to be stable for a day at the end (even without gaming, gaming was not possible at all). It started with a black screen like every second week and got worse.

I have tested my RAM with memtest, booted from USB drive and it passed. Will have to keep using this and wait for problems to get worse. If it indeed is this GPU which I suspect, I'll ask the shop if it's ok to replace it with RTX 4070 something and I'll pay for the price difference.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    That is so weird tbh. Which 7800XT is it?

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    His sig sais its Nitro+ which is strange to me it is one of the best and second faulty card in a row. Idk how stable is his system but maybe he should go with 4070 if thinks its an AMD issue.

Rubalvar likes this.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i replaced an EVGA rtx 2080s with a Sapphire Pulse rx7900xt in same system, ran DDU have had zero issues

Rubalvar likes this.
  6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    The card is Sapphire RX7800XT Nitro+ like Undying said.

Yesterday after a day of remote work + 1-2h gaming all was fine. Then left PC running while it was doing nothing, came back a bit later and system had crashed with black screens. After that 30min Furmark and no problems.

What drivers, doesn't seem to matter. Memtest booted from USB drive passed. No problems with CPU (prime95). No problems with GTX1660Ti. If it's PSU, then why is it slowly killing these cards? I did install that GPU support bracket, card is not bent.

Perhaps these both cards are from same bad batch or something... Same problems with both cards.

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It is really really weird how it's working. Now it could be a faulty PSU these cards are more power hungry then 1660. But it's still really weird symptom you are having.

Rubalvar and tunejunky like this.
  8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    I was thinking about faulty PSU, but mine is a Seasonic PX-1300. An why this second card lasted for about a month without problems at start? This is the strange part, if it did not I would have started replacing other parts. Also if it was a PSU, this should happen under load, but sometimes all is good under load and then it crashes without load on Windows.

Windows really doesnt like these black screens. I hear a sound of device disconnecting, picture disappears and sounds are back on. Just no picture. This also has a habbit of sometimes corrupting some usb drivers (from "sfc /scannow" log files) and sometimes need to restore Windows before I can get back to Windows. Will do a new Win11 install.

Software says SSD's are fine and why did I not have problems for a month which now seem to happen daily. I was also thinking about mobo, but meh, not sure. Quite annoying problem to solve wihtout having a spare PC to test all the hardware.

9. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    Ages ago I had a faulty RAM stick that did something similar (black screen for a moment before restarting). While the screen was black I could hear my game or music still playing in the background.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    Two more black screen crashes yesterday and then power off, power back on, not getting any picture. Tried multiple times, got Aorus logo few times, but mostly not. No picture today, tried few times, then replaced the RX7800 with my old GTX. So far so good.

11. reslore

reslore Member Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 7800 XT
    Here's my settings I use for my 7800XT these days. If I raise the powerlimit it becomes unstable, especially the memory. It maxes out at 275W and runs cool enough for 0 thermal throttling. I've used these same settings in Arch Linux too, 100% stable.

7800XT.jpg

12. paco2013

paco2013 New Member

GPU:
    xfx 7800xt black
    When will msi afterburner bring a new update so you can unlock the voltage with msi afterburner, i dont like the whole amd software and i want to undervolt to

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Unwinder has stated in the past that he does not have plans to do extensive support for AMD cards. If you do not like using Radeon Settings / Wattman, then you really should avoid using AMD solutions.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    you can undervolt in the amd software.

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I guess you missed the part where OP says he doesn't like using the AMD software to undervolt.

16. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Use latest version 4.6.6

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    i misread i thought he didn't like it because he thought he couldn't undervolt using it. my bad.

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Had to be something with the power delivery and the AMD cards tbh.

19. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    Unlikely. Sent it back and installed GTX again. After that I also ran memtest86 again, still no problems. Also ran prime95 again and... Crashed. Twice. CPU is not overclocked, all BIOS settings at auto. I increased CPU voltage by 0.05v and seems stable now. I did two 30min+ runs in prime95 and one 2h run (max temp/core was 74c after that 2h @ 100% load). Seems good now. I did do BIOS update and stuff so not sure if that had anything to do with CPU voltage problem. Strange that I also got black screen crashes with RX7800 with about zero cpu load in windows.

So atm I'm not sure if that second card is faulty or not, I did ran prime95 before sending that first card back and all was fine then, so I'm fairly sure that the first card was faulty (and everything worked fine with the second card for a month). This second one then, will be interesting to hear what the shop has to say.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    7900GRE coming at 549$

Rubalvar likes this.