RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    There is a way.
    Make a close up photo of sticker, print it on high DPI printer and glue it gently on the screw. It's usually 6mm in size. Or sometimes you can buy a entire paper of warranty stickers on AliExpress.

2. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6750XT
    Doesnt work anymore after I played with a screwdriver in it :D

I also sanded the heatpipes they were poorly finished still have to take another go at them one day :)

Either way fixing a fan curve in MSI Afterburner help a lot temps are the same almost if fans works ar 2800-2900 rpm compared to 3500 rpm ... poor design if you ask me and noisy as hell ... coil whine from day 1

Ghetto mod with two Noctua fans and will be fine until I find a waterblock of aftermarket cooler !

3. PJVol

PJVol Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    One should always bear in mind, there's no direct way to control voltage with the rdna 2.
    Instead, it's actual value defined by a number of limits and other powerplay params. Of these, only three are available in wattman: SocketPowerLimit (PL), min/max Freq. and avfs voltage offset, which is Vmax - slider value in mv.
    For the Navi21-23 this slider is clearly misleading by its appearance.
    It seems CN developers were too lazy to properly label it, i.e. with relative negative offset, instead of absolute value.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  4. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6750XT
    Is there an aftermarket cooling solution for 6750xt ? Thanks

what if I solder the heatpipes and the gap between them and then sand it down ?

when you bend a round pipe it seems that the middle of it at some points doesnt make 100% contact… I could make a very even surface and sand it down so only the imperfections would be filled with lead

sound fun ?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022

5. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6750XT
    I tried the washer mod maybe 2-3 degrees better cant be sure ... I sanded the heatsink copper pipes to be more flat but still nothing. Will all this work I only managed to make the card self clock higher 20-30 MHz maybe. I also undervolted to 1.15 anything below 1.15 is not stable only in a few games maybe ... ASIC quality is 84% kinda low ... At least I could lock the fan max rpm at 2800-3000 rpm anything above that drives me crazy ... and 4500 max rpm the PC can take off and fly away

Really bad implementation from Gigabyte I believed they were better ... I should have gone for Sapphire (like my Vega64 Nitro+) or for MSI ... maybe Aorus from Gigabyte is a tad better but this implementations cooling is crap.

I'm really thinking about a 2x12cm fan mod on the radiator for a bit of silence since I couldnt find any custom cooling solution for 6750XT....

I need high static pressure and good airflow fans right ?

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a9x14-pwm

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a8-pwm

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.3Ghz
    Out of interest, what are your room ambient and case temps, and humidity levels for that matter, those will direct effect components temps.
    As the room ambient temps rise, so will your case temps and therefore your hardware temps, they are all linked and generally rise proportionately.
    If the warm out being exhausted from the case remains in the room, then that will cause case temps to rise and therefore the fans will be driving warmer and warmer air over the heatsink, its a vicious circle.
    This is true with both air and water cooled rigs.

7. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6750XT
    I know but the delta between gpu and hotspot is 35-40-45 degress C …

My room temps are 26-27 C and humidity is humidity 52%.

I’ve tested with no side panels on the case and temps for gpu core (not hotspot) are 2-3 degrees lower.

The limiting factor for this card in my case is the hotspot temp I mean if I set the update interval for metrics as low as it goes 0,25 seconds or I can go even lower with RivaTuner it shows that hotspot temp during very high load it goes from 108 to 112/113 ...

The clocks are normal like 2700-2750 mhz for gpu unde high load rarely drops below 2700mhz all these with 2800 max clock and +15 pwr and 1.15 undervolt fan locked to 65% rpm. (Even if I unlock the fan mostly nothing happens it shaves off 2-3 C from GPU but not from hotspot).

The hotspot temps are the same with factory settings and behaves the same ! Anything I do it goes eventually up to 110 where it staus mostly 108-109-110.

The card and games run perfectly and didnt have any issues with that :) but still something doesnt seem right to me. Either way warranty lost due to myself trying to fix it so what can do next ? Play some games and forget about it :D

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.3Ghz
    @bernek from what i have seen that would suggest poor contact between the HSF and the heat spreader. Ive WCed all my rigs for avbout the last 15 years so stock CPU and GPU cooling/ fan profiles isnt something im familiar with.
    One thing i do know is that every cooler ive removed from a GPU in the last decade has been pretty poorly attached as far as thermal pads and paste goes.
    On this laptop (ASUS ROG 2070gtx ) i dropped over 25C off the temps just by changing the thermal paste, same for my previous lappy (970gtx).

9. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6750XT
    I did remove the cooler and its direct heatpipe contact to the GPU ... I've sanded down the contact region with 120 240 400 and 800 and 1200 grit sand paper. Its not mirror finish but its better ! also applied MX4 (I didnt want to put LM on it) and the change was minor not that great. This was one of the things I've done... Yesterday I even made some 1mm washers to tighten it down better still no change. The heatsink is garbage for sure and those direct contact heat pipes arent perfectly flat ! but it is what it is ... I can only wait for an aftermaket cooling solution and until then play with settings and maybe remove those awfull fans and buy some Noctua's and stick them to the radiator. I'm not sure what will be a good fit but I'm sure I'll find some.

Is the 6950xt water plate/block compatible ? not sure ? I've found some alphacool blocks for 6700xt but not sure if they fit 6750xt and since my CPU is AIO water cooled I need to either upgrade both or just buy another AIO and stick it to the cooling plate for the GPU. A lot of things not sure what to do next.

10. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    MX4 is too thin it'll will pump out before long - you'll want to use a more viscous paste - I posted my own experiences with high hot spot temps in this thread (I've linked my actual post of using Syy-157 after using MX-4 before hand but the whole thread is worth a read)

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...-gpu-thermal-paste.437415/page-3#post-5985302

11. PJVol

PJVol Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    I can cleary see the signs of bad contact on that photo. Yes, MX4 is less viscous but others hardly give you more than 2-3 degrees at best.

I've did the same with Vega56, 5700XT and now with the 6800XT (all three reference cards), and i can say in the latter case the cooler itself and its mounting was surprisingly good.

12. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6750XT
    is it by design or intend to be like this from bios of the card ? to push until 110 hotspot ? mine follows that rule (if it exists) I will give a a read for sure ! (the thread)

13. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    I recently upgraded from GTX1070 to the RX6600XT. Of course the first games I tried was the ray tracers. RedDR, MetroEEE and Cpunk2077.
    @ 1080p the new card has done a stonking job of the raytracing.
    Having seen the light, I don't think it will be long before rasterization is phased out.

14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.3Ghz
    I found the latest drivers gave me the best Metro EE performance and stability with RT on and high clocks.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    You are left to try control and dying light 2 and thats about it. The light you see have very short list of games. :p

vestibule likes this.

16. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    You can use Reshade, but that just works on any card to add RT to any game.

Some it makes a diference, for example I tried in LOTRO, and it makes a small diference.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Its not the same. Games needs to be designed with rt in mind to actually make a big difference.

pegasus1 likes this.
  18. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Ah, thanks for the heads up. I have that. Not to sure about the goofy looking chick, but I think I would if she was to throw me one. :p

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Great game and its transformed by using rt but sadly no fsr2.0 support yet.

vestibule likes this.
  20. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6750XT
    Can someone with 6700XT or 6750XT chime in with their hotspot temps and clocks during heavy gameplay ? and undervolt / overclock settings ? I want to compare a bit the results to see how important is this junction temp for my particular case.

For example I get 110C junction with 65C GPU temp and 105-110C junction when I have 55-60C GPU temp. The clocks most of the time stay at above 2700-2750 MHz while using +15% power if I use default power I get around 2650-2680 MHz.

Since I lost warranty due to: lapping heatsink / dismantling card and breaking warranty seals I'm up for anything else to try to minimize junction temp. So far I've done these stepts with minor results that mostly translated in lower GPU temps and a bit higher clocks:

1. lapping the direct contact heatpipes with 200 500 1000 grit sandpaper - minor improvement
    2. changing thermal compound to MX4 - minor improvement (a tiny bit better that point 1.)
    3. adding plastic washers to increse heatsink pressure on GPU die - minor improvement if at all
    4. increase airflow in case tested with open system no case at all - minor improvement maybe 2-3 deg. C on GPU temp not on hotspot !
    5. you name it do it for science !

Thank you in advance !!!