RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    even if you flash you have to use CMD with commands its the only way to flash without geting that. Dont use any sapphire bios they wont work on other cards.

chispy likes this.
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hey guys do all 6800 non-xt cards max out around 2.5G ?
    is that chip limitation or board power ?

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    It seems they all do maxed out around 2400~2500Mhz yes , you can check on hwbot scores - https://hwbot.org/search/submissions
    I believe is due to the strict limitations imposed by amd on the power limit.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    1.025v maximum, higher might be possible via exploits but compared to the 6800XT or even the 6700 the 1.150 to 1.2v will be a bit of a factor for stable maximum clock speeds.
    SOC, Amperage and Wattage are also reduced but in testing I have had a difficult time hitting the default limit of 200W first before the GPU driver crashes from clocking the card too high.

Usually it's reporting values around 150 - 180 for the GPU core power draw/wattage consumption plus some occasional spikes so the 15% extra in Wattman for ~230W maximum is rarely ever required and higher via More Power Tool would do nothing at all.
    Taking the also limited 6800XT values should work maybe reducing them slightly, GPU looks like it'll crash as it pushes into 300 - 350W so around there's the maximum GPU core wattage target.
    (But if it's not even reached before the GPU core clocks become unstable it's not really going to do much of anything.)

EDIT: Let's see now how did that work again.
    Igors Lab had a article on overclocking and undervolting Navi20 in a few ways and I think the voltage was increased for the 6800 only by having a Wattman profile with a higher voltage number written to it and loaded as a profile.
    Then via GPU-Z or such you can see that the voltage number and if that still works then it would report the higher value like 1.050v perhaps or what to try with.

If it is fixed however in these newer drivers either the GPU won't exceed 1.025v or the card will throttle down to around 500Mhz GPU core clock speed.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turbogear and jimpsar like this.
  7. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Nvidia game vs amd game. Same story as ever, amd game runs on a potato , nvidia you need nvidia and runs like crap also.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Well I couldn't wait any longer (as things are I might have had to wait forever), just got an SMS that my MSI Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming X is ready for pickup.

Local retailer had a few in stock so pulled the trigger. Bit overkill atm for me but future proofing.
    Don't ask about the price... I don't want to remember it :)

Any good tweaks I should know, read about MorePowerTool, anything else? I'll skim the thread too.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Godhand007, chispy, jura11 and 2 others like this.
  9. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Congrats. MPT a little bit here and there plus the rest uV and stuff in Wattman and you are golden.

chispy and AsiJu like this.
  10. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    @AsiJu first try it without MPT how much you can overclock without altering registry values via MPT.
    And congratz on getting a new card.

Don't forget to update your sig :)

chispy and AsiJu like this.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    It's here and it's magical!

IMG_20210511_210107.jpg

Will update sig once installed and running :)
    (don't want to jinx it, lol)

PrEzi, kanenas, chispy and 5 others like this.
  12. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800 XT
    After playing around with my card a bit more, I can average around ~2730Mhz. May be one of the fastest 6800XT's on water.

[​IMG]

I am also second on 3DMark for 5950X+6800XT, but the guy in front of me runs LN2....his CPU score is pretty crazy.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/20241766

[​IMG]

SpajdrEX, chispy, OnnA and 4 others like this.
  13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
  14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Today arrived my new addition to the vga family , finally i was able to snag one Red Devil Ultimate xtx-h new gpu , arrived a minute ago :D

20210512_150726.jpg

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Probably not an issue since the voltage can't be adjusted but it's a bit odd to me how the Red Devil is 3x 8-pin and this is 2x 8-pin and 1x 6-pin but without being able to increase the voltage further I suppose the power draw isn't going to be a hindrance before the GPU core requires additional voltage to stabilize.

Pretty sure the Liquid Devil is the same design and I think Sapphire used the same and then there's Formula which is 3x 8 and now Asus is making one that is using XTXH as well.
    (Which I don't know much about other than that I saw that it was recently revealed as a XTXH variant.)

Interesting to see 3.2 - 3.3 Ghz results being achieved with these though, was expecting 2.9 to 3.0 to be something like a wall but I guess not. :)

EDIT: As usual I'm not too great at explaining but yeah seeing 3.0 Ghz reached for the GPU clock speed and even going above that is really impressive.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    AsiJu, chispy and Undying like this.

16. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Gaming OC
    So I switched to RTX 3090, but due to instability I'm coming back to RX 6900XT Asus TUF, performance is similar or better at times, and I don't really care about RT and especially DLSS (without DLSS hack even RTX 3090 is crying especially in 4K).

Oh the irony having more problems with NVidia drivers and GPU than with AMD's..

AsiJu, jimpsar, chispy and 1 other person like this.
  17. jimpsar

jimpsar Active Member

GPU:
    6900xt MERC 319 XFX
    Did the very same thing !

lukas_1987_dion, chispy and AsiJu like this.
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Okay, have managed to try some games like Metro EEE, Control, Doom Eternal and Quake 2 RTX (lol).

Took a while to learn where everything is in Radeon Software.
    I do like the modern UI compared to Nvidia's.

To start with pure raster performance and Vulkan, I ran a bit of Eternal without Vsync or cap. 1080p144Hz max settings.

To give an idea there is one very specific spot in Super Gore Nest that would drop to around 90 fps with RTX 2070 (GPU limited).
    Now that same spot is 200+ fps :)

Metro EEE with High preset, RT Normal, VRS 2x ran well north of 100 fps in opening "sewer", think 120 ... 140.
    Those were the settings I last used so tried them.
    2070 ran notably slower but can't recall exact numbers (DLSS off).

Then Control:
    RT off, everything else maxed except MSAA and quick test was 130 ... 160 so blisteringly quick!

But here's the kicker, I ended up enabling RT reflections, transp. reflections, contact shadows and upscaling from 768p.
    The resulting image was extremely good actually. You can tell the difference to native but I wonder if Radeon driver helps with the upscaling or smth because upscaling with 2070 looked pretty bad.

Meaning actual upscaling, not DLSS.

Framerate well north of 100 fps mostly.
    With native 1080p and RT as above varies around 50...70, solid but my aim is 100+ whenever possible.

Quake 2 RTX, GI Low, other RT features on and depending on TOD 90 ... 100+ fps.
    GI Medium about 70...80 and GI High about 60...70.

I started with RT games mainly on purpose and actually am glad I now have the XT version which should match 2080 Ti in RT performance.

Hopefully AMD releases the Super Resolution feature in June as suggested.

Pure raster performance well, Eternal told it all really :)
    Still gonna try Cyberpunk and whatnot.

Also ran some 3DMark tests, including regular FireStrike (1080p) as I somewhat recall how it used to run and I can say the demo part is finally completely super smooth!

Combined test was still pretty harsh but metrics indicate it's CPU limited big time.
    GPU downclocked to around 1 GHz and still usage was between 70 ... 80 % only.

As for clocks seem to run around 2.3 GHz steady and temps are usually 60 ... 66 core and 70 ... 80 junction, roughly, in demanding gaming load.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    lukas_1987_dion, jimpsar and chispy like this.
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    To show how good Control looks (can you tell which is upscaled and which is native?):

Control_2021.05.14-09.38.jpg

Control_2021.05.14-09.38_1.jpg

Ofc .jpg erases a tiny bit of detail but converted from .png screenshots. Original .pngs are too large to upload.

Also tried undervolting quickly and managed to drop from 1150 to 1075 mV with clocks as are, it seems. Must verify this still by gaming more.
    1050 mV crashed Time Spy pretty quickly.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    lukas_1987_dion and chispy like this.
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Oh yeah one more pleasant surprise:

I went to reconfigure OBS after switching GPU and found that now I have access to hardware accelerated H265 encoding (HEVC).

(And gladly YouTube should support H265 uploads these days).

lukas_1987_dion and chispy like this.