RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    upload_2021-1-27_13-30-52.png

Got somewhere. But alas my CPU goes fast 4200 :D welp at least graphics score is decent. GPU running around 2650

2. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    Dunno why, but it seems, for my xfx 6800xt raising Vram is no go, at least maxin it out. Discovered it while getting max performance for VR and using openVR benchmark, that default, or as little as 2050Mhz mem clock is better than 2150, which hampers VR performance.
    And somewhow, now, with previous and newest drivers quakeRTX does not crash anymore...Weird.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Maxed out at 19 878 points for 3dmark :D ah well. I am really happy.

upload_2021-1-28_13-20-35.png

Also having 47-48fps in port royal feels nice.

In the pure rt test I got 30fps. So that is something too.

Turbogear and chispy like this.
  4. Turbogear

Turbogear Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6800XT
    Nice results. :D
    What are the setting that you use to achieve this?

5. Turbogear

Turbogear Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6800XT
    I noticed on my reference 6800XT card also from XFX that if I overclock memory the performance is worst.
    I have SAM enabled. I did not try by disabling SAM until now.
    In anycase as far as I read by other users posts that memory overclock does not bring that much difference due to the Infinity Cache.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    A higher display resolution tends to push the available cache memory to it's limits where then RAM speed becomes very important though hindered by the 256-bit bus somewhat too, cache performs really well at 1920x1080 covers almost all of it without any misses due to running out then at 2560x1440 it starts missing more it's not quite enough for all the data and finally at 3840x2160 I think AMD's figure was a ~70% or so hit rate here.

I think it would drop pretty fast after that, haven't tested much above 5120x2880 via render resolution scaling in a few games though but for now at 1080 and 1440 it's really good and very fast with the cache memory.
    4k works too or 2160 but newer games might see it gradually fill more than the cache can handle so performance will either drop a bit more steeply or rely more on the memory speed somewhat hindered by the bus width.

Guessing benchmarks have standard presets too so those could do fairly well but any 4k testing could perhaps be a more limiting factor although it depends on how much has to be handled I suppose smaller scenes and sequences but very detailed or GPU intensive.

GPU manages pretty well though but the result is a higher than average performance dip once you hit 3840x2160 possibly 3440x1440 ultra wide too going from 2560x1440 or 2560x1080
    Newer games or benchmarks might also push more data that could see 2560 or even 1920 not fully covering with the infinity cache memory.

EDIT: Until then though memory speed probably mostly matters once it hits too high and error correction causes a performance decrease instead.

For the 6800XT and 6900XT I believe you have additional timing levels too and that could then be balanced with a small or no VRAM overclock but using the highest level timings instead.

6800 only has the Fast timings though these appear to be available up to 2150 although it likely hits the ECC before then if you try to push both.
    (Not the easiest to monitor unless the performance decrease is something more noticeable unless it actually shows artifacts or glitches or outright causes a software or driver crash.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Turbogear likes this.
  7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Running core at 2650 ish with stock voltages and memory at 2130. More memory oc and it will worsen the performance and make it poop. So basically on wattman my range of mhz is 2300-2700. It stays at 2650 pretty much all the time after some tweaking with MPT set 300w for power limit and TDC(iirc it was TDC) to 340 and the lower value to 60. This made my card stable af and could run some nice benchies.

I haven't tested undervolting. But I am actually happy how silent the machine actually is with reference design AMD did really good job. Max temps are 78 when stressed to the max and junction is somewhere around 88.

Turbogear and JonasBeckman like this.
  8. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Has anyone manage to surpass any of the limits of the driver? My card needs more voltage to go over 2600mhz. But my memory hold 2150 easy.

9. Turbogear

Turbogear Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6800XT
    Thanks for the info.
    Are you also increasing power limit in Wattman to 15%?
    If so then I think 300W in MPT could be too much and you ago above 375W available in total.
    I was looking at TPU VBIOS database and 290W is the max that different custom 6800XT use if they are supplied by 2x8pins connector.

Interesting is that you get that performance at stock voltage.
    For me if I leave stock voltage and set 2650MHz in Wattman then the card is unstable. I use 2650MHz@980mV.

I have max junction temperature below 65°C under stress as my card is watercooled. :p

10. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    Maybe with this Infinity cache, if speed differs, cache is hampered somehow...Best results for me is just stock, or 2050Mhz.

Turbogear likes this.

11. mais4u

mais4u Member

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT
    Hello, i just got my card today. Installed it on my old system.
    Running it at stock fans
    2500 core
    1140 Vcore
    12% power limit
    2100 mem with fast timing

I see the overlay only show the card not drawing more than 280w. So i guess my old motherboard with gen 3 pci-e could hold it back a little ? as well as my skylake ?

Im happy to test something and compare results and see if i need to upgrade now or wait a little ?

Still this thing is a beast!!

12. ogiebogie

ogiebogie Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6900XT
    I wish my junctions temps were like that. On my reference 6900xt they are 30+ over
    (70 temp, 100 at junction). Is anyone else having huge gaps like this or do I need to reseat my reference cooler already.

This is undervolted to 1100mv also. All using just Wattman so far.

13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    1100mV is not really an undervolt :) try 2100-2200 and 0.950mV, what are temps then?

14. ogiebogie

ogiebogie Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6900XT
    Software crashes as soon as I set below 1100mv. Strange thing is after Wattman and GPUz was showing it at ~956 on my next time spy runs. Temps were 68-70 and 80-90 on junction

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    The voltage if you go via Wattman mostly just affects how the GPU is boosting 6900XT might need a bit extra too though it should scale although this is also based on the power draw slider so if you max that out the GPU can try boosting more before hitting limits even though the 6800XT and 6900XT have the same power limit. :)

I'm on a regular 6800 but using Wattman I was lowering the clock speed first finding it allows the voltage to be dynamic rather than capped and once that started fluctuating that's what I set the undervolt against allowing the GPU to scale around this new value instead.

More Power Tools and bios editing lets you set a new baseline instead of using this offset mode though you still need to find what's stable for your card and what you expect to use for clock speeds for it. :)

EDIT:
    Would also be easier I suppose if the naming and description was a bit clearer that you're not setting a definitive voltage here so by moving from 1150 to 1100 you have a -50 offset in voltage.
    (Which also affects scaling and such but can still be unstable if the GPU actually needs more to manage the clock speeds you are trying to target.)

It's a 6900XT so it should be fairly power limited too but the slider for that might also work to let the card operate within the minimum and maximum set speeds and if it needs more power it'll throttle instead of hitting a GPU crash.

Though in turn that means that more demanding games will have the GPU operating a bit slower and less demanding ones will be where it can boost up.

EDIT:
    And there's that post about testing and bios editing and how some of this works together with the article from Igor's Lab about Navi20 and Wattman plus More Power Tool.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/l1jju8/rx_6800_xt_undervolting_with_mhz_1090mv_cap/

So yeah not the best at explaining but my process for it was fairly simple just find where the GPU can relax voltage first then set a offset where it doesn't immediately lock to peak (1025 for the 6800) you can fine tune it a bit I managed up to 2450 Mhz but I relaxed it down to 2400 for now and might have to reduce it a little bit in the most demanding titles if there's any instability.

GPU scales around 0.800 to 1.000 for voltage depending on demand with a lowly but still something -25 voltage offset. :D

Which caps the voltage from 1.025 to 1.000 but since it's not locked it can also go lower depending on demand.

Don't want to drop too low either though or that could be unstable as well. :)
    Maintaining the full 15% power limit the GPU can't really scale very well at all without it above 2150 otherwise ha ha.

Differences with the 6800XT and 6900XT sure but I would think that also remains true for these you kinda need the 5, 10 or even full 15 if you want to clock closer to the cap.
    (Err that's 2600, 2800 and 3000 respectively I think 6800 to the 6900)

And whatever AMD's using their little not-quite cap of minus 25 - 50 for so even if you could reach the peak slider limits it'll stop just a little bit lower.

EDIT:
    Oh and fine tuning it further kinda needs More Power Tool so you can set a actual voltage and have the GPU scale around that instead as a new baseline value.

Just have to ensure it's a stable one, going from 1150 to 1100 could be a start and then using the voltage slider in Wattman to try a negative offset from this value.

And as usual be careful if you add extra power for it to draw from as if you keep the 15% in Wattman it might be pushing above what the GPU can handle.
    GPU core power draw I believe so you have to think an extra 50 - 75 perhaps could be good for the rest of the card too from what this value shows if you are editing that.

Higher boost clock but at that point it might not be possible to reduce voltage at all going past 2400 and up to 2600 or where it might cap out from lack of even more power or additional GPU core voltage.

The Reddit article goes through much of this and there's the other articles via Igor's Lab website for Navi20 GPU results including Wattman, More Power tool and under volting results as well. :)
    It's fairly similar just that the way Wattman applies some of this and how it applies it differs somewhat with Navi20 and that's a little bit of a learning curve and had to be figured out by reviewers and the community.
    (Boost clock curve with offsets or how to sum it up limited by power availability.)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Hola everyone , i got a question. How do i lock P-states or how do i lock the clocks on this new 6900xt ? for the love of god it is downclocking to 50mhz running a benchmark PCMar10 and i need it to boost and stay at high clocks for a better score :( , it seems impossible ! I have tried everything and nothing works , ( mpt , clockblocker , clocktuner , etc ... ) , it stays at very low clocks no matter what i do or i what i set and want my card to do. it seems amd drivers are waaayyy to aggressive with the downclocking :( and won't let us control our own graphics card. Help and guidance will be appretiate it.

Kind regards: Angelo

17. SmokusPokus

SmokusPokus New Member

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800 XT
    Hello guys, new user here, but I really hope I'll be able to get an answer from more experienced users :)
    I got my XFX Speedster MERC319 RX 6800 XT few days ago.

I wanted to overclock it via AMD Software, but issues occured. Everything would run flawlessly and stable (stress tests, 3d Mark as well), but out of nowhere while watching movies or gaming, my PC would restart without any warning or something. It would just restart, and when it boots back again, I would get a notification in AMD Software that the settngs were reset to default due to unexpected system failure.

Here are the overclock settings I had when the restart happened:
    upload_2021-1-30_19-31-5.png

upload_2021-1-30_19-31-30.png

upload_2021-1-30_19-31-38.png

Does that kind of behavior point to an unstable overclock?

I have tested my RAM for errors, and it has none. On HWINFO I have 0 WHEA errors as well.
    I am running latest BIOS version with SAM enabled.
    Also latest GPU drivers 21.1.1 (restarts happened with the previous ones as well)
    Windows 10 Pro with latest updates

I also used DDU to uninstall my GPU drivers completely and installed them again, but it hasn't helped.

My specs:
    • XFX Speedster MERC319 RX 6800 XT
    • Ryzen 9 5900x
    • Enermax Revolution DF 850W 80+ Gold PSU
    • 32GB Ripjaw CL16 3600Mhz RAM
    • MSI B550 Tomahawk Motherboard
    The temps for both GPU and CPU are great, so that isn't the cause of reboot for sure.

I am currently using the Rage preset, and the PC hasn't rebooted since. I hope that it was just an unstable overclock, but if that's the case, I'd really like to know what setting has had the impact on the reboot.

I hope that everything I wrote makes somewhat sense, and is understandable.

18. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
  19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    @SmokusPokus for a start, don't push your VRAM to 2150Mhz, above 2100Mhz it can get unstable/decreasing performance.
    Voltage set to 1150mV, don't try to set it to 1050Mhz with that (2400+) frequency, that could make it crashing/hang even at low load.

SmokusPokus likes this.
  20. SmokusPokus

SmokusPokus New Member

GPU:
    XFX RX 6800 XT
    @SpajdrEX thanks for the answer.
    Will try to change those settings then, and see how it goes.
    How about VRAM timing?
    Should I leave it on Default or can I set it to Fast?