RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Also these cards need more the 750w to oc if you have a cpu like a 3900x or something similar in W department.

My 3900x is OC to 4550 this must eat around 200w or more and the card also spikes alot over the 350w as proved by igor.

Now if we include all of the HDDs SSDs fans waterpump rgb etc a 750w psu is really short and will triger and shut the computer off.

I will order a 1000w plat psu in a few days to take my termaltake 750w gold psu out.

2. Tempest1232

Tempest1232 Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6800 XT
    ive got an 850W superflower leadex titanium psu, it crashes either test 1 or 2 on timespy randomly with 2610mhz set as maximum gpu speed. my default powerlimit for the core was 289W for my nitro+ in morepowertool.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  3. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Iap. Thats the reason Im going to get a 1000w Plat psu.

4. Tempest1232

Tempest1232 Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6800 XT
    i dont get any full system crashes, and timespy extreme can go up to 367W used in the GPU PPT/asic power without any crashes. seems to just be a low clocking gpu and driver issues

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah I'm not sure how you would get the system to pull 600+ Wattage the GPU is going to be limited to a total of 375W roughly maybe you can get away with a bit more and then the CPU 105W but can scale around 150W power draw for the higher Zen2 or Zen3 processors PBO and what not allowing a bit more I'm kinda ending up at 500 - 550 total unless you have a lot of drives or something but these would also have to be active then pushing into the 600's maybe.

Older power supplies can also have issue with low power situations but that's pre-2013 so not something that's too common for newer systems.

Besides that there's how any MPT changes affect the GPU and together with how Wattman affects the GPU since it's basically modifying a curve and the card can scale a bit how it requires but if the bios defaults are modified the changes might not be 100% stable as it scales from the higher values defined here.
    (Coupled with various possible bugs, short burst spikes of higher power draw even if it's better than with Vega.)

Different software and workloads will affect the GPU differently though, benchmarks like OCCT or Furmark would be throttled or limited from scaling fully whereas a game might hit sporadic high boost clocks and increased power draw and a higher voltage usage than normal or some of the more general benchmarks like Time Spy or Port Royal.

GPU shutting down could trip the PSU too avoiding damage either to the hardware or the cabling connecting these but I'm seeing various values depending on what review or benchmark or user report I check out so it's hard to find anything definitive and testing with More Power Tool is also still ongoing hitting various limits to further bios editing it seems and what other AMD software or hardware limits are in there besides clocking to ~560 Mhz or so when trying to exceed these caps incorrectly.

EDIT: Think you also have to balance both the GPU total power draw if you use More Power Tool with very careful editing of the SOC, Ampere and Current settings and these can be problematic.

Not sure how the hardware scales with these if fed more power without adjusting the values and if you get too high on amps or current the GPU isn't merely going to shut down it can outright malfunction or fail without being able to recover.
    A bit extra might be safe for the GPU Total Power Draw or how it's called but fine tuning or finding a sort of sweet spot maximum might be tricky.
    (Keeping in mind it's the GPU core so there's the rest of the systems too and the total power draw might want to also leave that extra slider in Wattman alone if increasing this up more than just a little bit.)

EDIT: Sigh well trying to explain is going as well as usual but finding the values that work with your own particular hardware and where it's limits and gains are maybe where it stops scaling well and would need a bigger addition of power or even more voltage to stabilize or improve in terms of scaling and then all these restrictions AMD has and might add further now that some of these bugs for circumventing voltage and increasing power draw is discussed more and with guides and such making it easier to attempt.

The usual with overclocking I suppose but AMD left all the restraints on this time. :p

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  6. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    For anyone who has interest on the SAM/Resizable BAR support with a TRX40 platform --- there are beta BIOSes from MSI on the MSI website plus also some still inofficial BIOSes for the Gigabyte mainboards. For GB ask stasio in the TweakTown Forums. I have obtained one for my GB TRX40 Aorus Extreme which I will be testing on the weekend.

7. Tempest1232

Tempest1232 Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6800 XT
    im just waiting for sam on my asus x370 crosshair vi hero

8. Tempest1232

Tempest1232 Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6800 XT
    best timespy extreme was (https://www.3dmark.com/spy/17430498) or (https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/56781417) second one is with the hwinfo64 monitoring running for 50ms polling during the test (same settings for overclock)

Attached Files:

9. xcx xcxvgyt

xcx xcxvgyt Member

GPU:
    6800XT
    If you are getting crash i will suggest you to use gpu-z sensor log for troubleshoot.

If you see attached log file it start as expected than it boost to 2800mhz and get crash. You may also see with your system power spikes just before shutdown ect.

[​IMG]

JonasBeckman likes this.
  10. Tempest1232

Tempest1232 Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6800 XT
    so PrEzi and The_Amazing_X are attributing my crashes when overclocking the core to not enough vrm for the clock speed, when im saying its just the card cant do any more gpu clock speed at default voltages, and i know its not a psu problem because my entire system isnt taken down, i can also run higher power on a lower clock speed test, but when i up the clock speed it crashes with less power used (i just did a test where i upped the min clock speed from 2410mhz to 2440mhz and that crashed in test 2, but i can run at 2410mhz though the whole test two and get higher power usage)

11. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    No. What I am saying is that you have incorrectly set the Power limits in the MPT tool. You have exceeded by far the maximum sane specification any GPU with a 2x 8pin can handle.
    I hate to repeat myself over and over again. Set it to 280W max in MPT and retest for stability. From there on you can adjust with Wattman slider up to +15%.
    Setting it in MPT to 350W for the GPU chip alone (!!!) is insane and might be the culprit of the crashes.

12. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Keep the max clock at 2585mhz and the min clock at 2500mhz max power target and leave the voltage alone.

13. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    For people in the EU --- one of the biggest etailers in Germany (MindFactory) has received a very big batch of 6800/xt/6900 cards. Those cards are still available. Also now available in other smaller resellers like Alternate, Notebooks Billiger, Caseking etc.

Embra and ZXRaziel like this.
  14. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Thanx for the heads up , they do have stock but jeezas the prices 1379 Euro for 6900 xt that's mad 1049 euros for the 6800xt .
    I have seen few cards after midnight about a week ago 1170 for the 6900 xt but they sold out within one hour .

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Eh, Germany lucky for you guys. With a average 500euro salary in Serbia cant really afford the damn thing. Im still beating my head for not taking @PrEzi offer on the 6800xt but how could i even when deal was amazing....frack this life...

Come on 6700xt...

MaestroBayten and ZXRaziel like this.

16. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    JZelectronics also released TR4 SAM betas for Asrock mobos.

17. The_Amazing_X

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Guys check out the store PCDiga in Portugal thats were I got mine for 800€ AIB

ZXRaziel likes this.
  18. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC 6800XT 16G
    That's were i got my 6800xt too, it's one of my favourite stores :D I dont know how they have stock from time to time, but they do!

19. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Huh ??? 1379 ???? 1240 EUR for the 6900XT @ Mindfactory

e.g.:
    https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...00-XT-GDDR6-HDMI-DUAL-D--Retail-_1390316.html

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...-DDR6-Drei-Luefter-256bit--bulk-_1388380.html

ZXRaziel likes this.
  20. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Well.... or just wait a year and buy my used 6900xt for a good price ;):D

Turbogear and Undying like this.