RBE and permanent voltage modding....

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by n0b0dy, Oct 2, 2011.

1. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    Ok long story short.

Im trying to set a final OC on my 6950.

Problem is these 3rd party oc proggys are giving me issues, ALL OF THEM, even Asuses own smart doctor. Afterburner wont remember clocks, smartdoctor lowers my clocks upon reboot despite me trying to reg hack the "auto lower clocks" value, so screw smart doctor. And finally I tried Sapphire Trixx, which beleive it or not, after a lot of hair pulling I found out was causing hard reboots on my system in BC2 for example.

So my only and last resort is going to be the cards itself bios hacking.

I used RBE to unlock shaders on this card, and then flash with winflash in the past.

Now here is what I want to do, with RBE you can also change stock voltages, thing is there are over 5 different clock speed and voltage settings boxes, and Im not sure which ones to modify. Jeez, I feel like a n00b again.

So can anyone point me in the right direction? I want my stock gpu voltge to be 1.3 or so not 1.1 like it currently is. Then I can do the clocks ocing through normal ccc. I just want the voltage done through bios.
    Thx ahead of time.

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  3. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    now im not 100% all 6950's are the same but for mine, i changed vid4 to 1300 which is 1.3 volt..i have a diamond card with sapphire 6970 bios..as far as the clocks using 1.28 rbe it wouldnt allow you to change them idk if thats changed since i stopped messing with it after i got my highest clocks ..

4. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    It all depends on what brand card you have, if its a reference design or not, etc....

If I open the bin file of my current bios with RBE I can see I can change anything I want. So I would like to know which boxes to adjust for the voltage to be 1.3, there are more then one box showing voltages and clocks, a few show the low power state clocks for 2D mode and then a few more show default clocks for 3d mode. I dont know if I s hould mod all the 3d clocks to 1.3v or only one. THats what im trying to figure out.

5. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    Argggh

UPDATE: Im tinkering around, thank god for this dual bios, so I can do what I want.

Anyways I tinkerd with the VIDs in "voltage registers" tab in RBE 1.28.
    On the 6950 it seems VID3 is the one to increase for 3D clocks, obviously since its default is 1100mv which equals 1.1v and thats the default 3d voltage for this card.

So I tryed changing it to 1300mv. Saved the bios file and flashed.
    Rebooted to a BSOD upon entering windows. Am I missing something? Ppl at techpowerup are complaining about RBE lately ONLY allowing voltage changing and so on. The voltage changing is not working for me. And judging from some of the posts they are saying AMD is doing this on purpose at driver level through signatures in the bios, u change anything and drivers see that boom it doesnt work.

So is it officially imposible to bios volt mod this card or am I doing something wrong? With the ****ty 3rd party oc software like afterburner,smartdoctor or trixx I can change voltage with those. They just suck in different reasons each of them to use them to set a final OC.
    But least they can change the voltage with the little use u get out of them.

Must get this thing near ghz speeds so I can raise quality settings in BF3!!!!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I use afterburner, always have and the only issues i had was through my own ignorance of not turning off ULPS

7. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    dont bother whacking 1.3v down without good cooling, its not a great idea. you wont get 1ghz without some substantial cooling belive me, I had 1047mhz out of mine AFTER I got a thermalright shaman, before it the very best I could get without heavily ramping the fans was 920mhz..the stock cooler is made out of butter and half beaten to death by chinese children with toffee hammers in order to 'lap' it, worst cooler Ive ever come accross.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  8. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    ugh..idk what you read or why you post if you know everything..im saying i have changed my voltage to 1.3..i have overclocked to 1000+ mhz on my 6950..what i was giving you is the info i found out..you obviously know how to open rbe..and you know theres more then one voltage you can input...so why u quote my post and say this i dont get..but i said was I changed vid4...vid4 is the one i changed..vid4 is ONE out of the 4 listed...by changing JUST vid4 i managed to get 1.3v to my card which took me to 1060mhz core.....then i listed what card i own and what bios i used to ensure that IF you take my advice and it doesnt work, it may be because its different..ie vid3 may work for you however IIIIII did vid4 which is also 1100(same as vid3)...

9. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    ULPS changing I see no difference in final results.

lol your suprised I was able to open up RBE?
    Wow this forum seems to amaze me more and more.

Why your arguing with me over my own post about my own card is beyond me.
    In any case do your homework the VID4 on YOUR 6970 doesnt is not what a 6950 uses. Do your homework, most reference 6950 cards are being reported on VID3, and even modding this is not succesful in last batches of reference 6950s. I happen to have one of the last batches.

GG mmkay thx.

10. n0b0dy

n0b0dy Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6950 2GB
    I think this 6950 is some of the best stock cooling I ever seen for a video card. Temps idle @49 degrees. Add the fact that these chips consume very little power as well at defaults.

And yes 1.3 gives me a substantially higher OC then with default 1.1.

No 1 ghz but enough.

11. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    GOD you are ****ing stupid..mmkay?..i wasnt surprised that you could open it..im surprised you responded the way you did knowing what you "know" ...i dont have a 6970..i have a 6950..that i flashed to a 6970 and volt modded..you want home work..get your card over 1000mhz core and over 1500mhz with 6970 shaders...then we'll compare... good luck

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    My temps are 30c idle and 58c loaded, not that idle temps even matter.

Oh that's with 6970 clock speeds btw.

13. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    That's because you don't have a crossfire setup. You need to disable ULPS in order for Afterburner to not freeze your system when changing options for the second card.

With single card setups, disabling ULPS will do nothing. Also in addition, i've used afterburner for years and never encountered an issue that wasn't something i did wrong.

My card idles at 37c, but that isn't an indication of how good the cooling is. Idle temps mean nothing in the world of overclocking or modding. Load temps are the be all and end all of the efficiency of a cooler.

Dave is right however, the AMD reference coolers are cheap and nasty. If you've ever taken yours apart, you'd notice straight away.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011