Razer starts selling striking Raptor 27" monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 22, 2019.

1. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    It's very close to the price of when the first mainstream 1440p 27" 144Hz IPS panels came onto the market in 2015. Those had Gsync modules in them too that raised the price. They were around 800 bucks. So this is 100 less, 4 years later, and with freesync. You can get the same type of panel now for much cheaper than this. I would find one that you like and buy a cheap stand for it to pivot if it doesn't have that feature out of the box.

2. mrvco

mrvco Member

GPU:
    5700 XT
    I use my monitors for more than gaming, so the specs on this monitor check a lot of boxes for me. I'm in no rush and will wait for the reviews, but I assume that the street price will be less than $700 once it is widely available.

3. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    If you're playing fast paced shooters; I don't see why your primary choice would be a VA. I think most people would consider TN first, IPS second and likely not consider VA considering the high response time. TN IMO is strictly competitive games. IPS gives a good balance between TN and VA, especially the low response time of the latest reiteration. The difference is substantial, I've tried comp. shooters on all three..

If competitive shooters weren't my primary focus however, I'd probably go VA as well.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There is a decent response time 144hz VA panels. I love the high brightness and sound silly but its easier to find curved VA panel which i did. :)

5. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I had the best visual experience with my old 27" 1080p curved VA panel. I'm now on a 27" 1440p IPS - that says a lot!

6. ther' takin the facking piss I tell ya..

EDIT: but apparently it's quality piss..just expensive'

Razer Raptor 27 Review & Rating - PC Mag

• Fully flat, perpendicular to surface allows for all ports to face directly outward. It's easier than ever to plug in DisplayPort 1.4b, HDMI 2.0, x1 USB Type-C (supports DisplayPort 1.4 & USB upstream capabilities) + two USB 3.0 ports. No headphone-jack.
    • Using a 5-way joystick you can navigate OSD.
    • sRGB results are 100%
    • Adobe RGB Measurement 89.2 %
    • 94% DCI-P3 Coverage.
    • Rated for HDR400 with a peak of 420 nits the display reviewed at 453 nits in HDR mode, while SDR came in at 358 nits.
    • With a black level of 0.27, the Raptor's contrast-ratio rating (1,000:1) is of note considering it reviewed at "1,678:1"
    • Tested using HDFury 4K Diva - an input lag time of 1.7ms was recorded.
    • No observable tearing or lag was noticed in CounterStrike Global Offensive. Gaming was conducted using a 2080 TI and an RX
    • AMD Freesync is "Officially Supported"
    • The Raptor is G-sync "Compatible"
    credit: article by Chris Stobing

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2019
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Anecdotal Testing

As I do for every gaming monitor, I put the Razer Raptor 27 through its paces in a few rounds of Counter Strike: Global Offensive to test how well the overdrive features, adaptive sync, and motion-blur reduction features add to my multiplayer experience. Here, I found no issues with screen tearing or lag, and the monitor is well-equipped to do exactly what it says it will: help you game at 144Hz as fast as your fingers and twitch response will let you.

We tested both AMD's FreeSync and Nvidia's FreeSync compatibile* adaptive-sync technologies on the Razer Raptor 27, using both an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT and an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti card, and in each instance, the display showed no signs of tearing or slowing down the action. According to Razer, this panel supports AMD's FreeSync, but Nvidia has also designated the Raptor 27 as G-Sync Compatible.
    (It doesn't have Nvidia's dedicated G-Sync circuitry inside, but it works in a functionally identical fashion to monitors that get the full "G-Sync Certified" badge.)

HDR video testing was also great, and although 27 inches is a little on the small side for a monitor that I'd recommend you do the majority of your movie watching on, it could still sub in temporarily for a larger HDR TV in between gaming matches, if it really needs to.

Razer? Really, Razer!
    Razer has a bit of a reputation in the gaming community—"polarizing," would be the word. Depending on which side of the Razer fence you land on, the company's products tend to be all hits, or mostly misses.

Though I'm an avid PC gamer, I haven't personally purchased a Razer product in well over a decade. (Not for special reasons, mind you.) But if the Raptor 27 is the kind of kit I've been missing out on, then it's a big regret on my part. Given that this is the first gaming monitor Razer has produced, I wasn't expecting the world out of this display, which is why I'm that much more blown away to see a first-timer perform so far above the grade. Razer has burst out of the gate with a spectacular gaming monitor here, showing that the company listens to gamers. On most accounts, it delivers on what that segment of the market looks for in its next big purchase.

At $699, the monitor is right around the top end of what you should spend on a display with similar specs at its 27-inch screen size. But for me, it's worth it. With a gorgeously functional design, eye-wateringly good color results, and smooth gaming performance, the Raptor 27 goes above and beyond to earn our Editors' Choice badge. It may be Razer's first (and only) gaming monitor to date, but if the company keeps up this level of quality and innovation with future panels, this will be just the first in a series of award wins.

* The truth ;)

8. ? I'm confused - I agree

EDIT: It's in what you posted?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2019
    OnnA likes this.
  9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    27in, how quaint. lol

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  10. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Lul $700 for an age old 1440p 144hz monitor.

I paid 670 bucks back in 2014 for an ASU’s 1440p 144hz monitor with g-sync.

Razer been smoking the crack pipe.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Cost almost as much as 49 inch super wide these days. What a joke.

12. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    >Ultra thin bezels at 2.3mm

That bottom bezel is NOT 2.3 mm. LIARS!!!! :)

13. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    LOL I just got an MSI MAG27CXQR 165Hz 27" for $385

14. pastor_marco

pastor_marco Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    crap company with crap products. What they fail to tell you is that your monitor won't work unless you have an internet connection. I wouldn't be surprised if it woke up an hour after you turned it off and started mining crypto.

15. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I don't get Razer any more. Years ago they used to make quality products, then the quality hit absolute rock bottom, and now they oscillate between really good products (Mamba, their recent mechanical keyboards) and bewildering gimmicks and cash grabs like RGB headphone stands and whatever this monitor is. Make up your minds, Razer.