Razer SoftMiner uses your GPU to mine cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    This is Disgusting on so many levels.

3. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    I got nothing nice to say, so I better just ZIP IT!!!

sammarbella and Silva like this.
  4. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    I hope all the Anti-Virus companies flag this as Malware and delete it as and when appear.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    500 a day to reach 51K would be 102 days of abusing your GPU and a paying for all that electricity... for a Deathadder which costs them about 15 cents to make. I see Razer are staying classy as always.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So using a program to allow you to get points(money) to purchase razer products, is disgusting?

I'll admit, when i saw the title, i thought razer was pulling a fast one and using other peoples hardware to mine for them unknowingly, but that's not the case.

This is a completely optional program that you'd only want running if you wanted to try and get some razer products for "free" ("free" since it costs the power you used to get the point)

trolling much?

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You have no clue how much labour and parts cost in China. The cost of keeping their workers in their facilities (yes they live in the factories/factory campuses), including feeding them, is less than you could possibly guess.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Lots of parents probably going to wonder why their electricity bills are now being delivered in platinum envelopes, personally delivered to their houses in a limo.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Yes, yes it is.

First of all, you cannot redeem the amount in a form of cash, secondly, most certainly all of the "reward" products are severely overpriced.

If on an example of Death Adder Essential (50$), which costs 51000 points, where per day on gtx 1050 you generate ~+/- 500 points per day (and that I bet is with your PC running 24/7). With that GPU you will need ~102 Days to generate this point amount. If we do a simple math, that will equal to roughly 0.49$ per day that you generate in their platform with that GPU. Slap on top of it the electricity bill, strain on your hardware, and you can clearly see that you shoot yourself in the leg by significantly overpaying for an already r@z3R trash product.

This is Disgusting on so many levels.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  10. Super lame.....sad part is I have never come across a piece of razer gear I liked, much less one that I would whore out one of my computers for.

11. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    It is a bit funny you'd have to run the Softminer app for 560 days to obtain the Huntsman Elite keyboard, but just to really show you the middle finger, the Razer swagbucks expire after 1 year.

[​IMG]

And it really irks me, that their statements around it are just so ... smug:
    https://venturebeat.com/2018/12/12/...-will-use-pc-idle-time-for-blockchain-mining/

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yes, its optional, but its not targeting people with any sense. Its targeting gullible fools who may not realize they are getting the short end of the stick.

Keitosha likes this.
  13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Not disgusting - it's a free country, ain't it :D
    But completely out of touch with their customer base. Which are gamers! Who can't stand the mention of the word crypto w/o going berserk.

Any profit that Razer might acquire from this program will be thoroughly thoroughly offset by the negative reaction from their target audience. I mean where are they finding these business geniuses :rolleyes:

14. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    Cryptocurrency mining damages your GPU LESS than gaming! So that is a myth. Ex mining cards should be more reliable then second hand gaming cards.

15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Wrong.

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Do you really think the target audience of this scam is going to undervolt and underclock their GPUs?

cryohellinc likes this.
  17. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    Why don't they release .apk for their phones to meltdown!? :mad:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    sykozis and reix2x like this.
  18. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Glad I haven't ever purchased anything from them. Corporations and ethics seldom mix.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    #WARNING (OFF-TOPIC) :eek:
    I watched PBS docu about supplements the other day, which pretty much confirmed what I've known all along: Vitamins and minerals are (mostly) scam.
    (Which is not to say that your body doesn't need them - don't be stewpid, or that documentaries, even as good as PBS, should be your guiding star.)

But eating crap 365/year and then supplementing your diet with synthetics(!) of godknows what origin and content over the counter - NOW THAT'S A SCAM, A $150B SCAM
    Meanwhile we've been ridiculing the Wild West with its snake oil and magic elixirs. HAHA the joke is on us.

This... scam? No.
    This is just creative stupidity that's about to backfire.

20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On other hand Razer want to keep independant... All of that have a cost.

My tall boy have a total set from Razer keyboard, mouse and headset...
    He was very disapointed by Razer when he try my 80 Euro mecanical keyboard and my 30 Euro mouse with omron switch and 16k dpi (i don't talk about headset as mine is way more expensive and so way better too).

Razer doesn't last in time and use no more quality material... only the price is Premium now.