1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Razer Controller for Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by SickBoy254698, May 15, 2011.

1. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    When Razer first announced the controller I was interested but I really thought there was nothing that could be done to make the crappy 360 controller suitable for a PC gamer. There are only a handful of games I play on the 360 and it's mainly to play multiplayer games with my brother and a handful of other friends. When I play games on PC I almost never use anything except Sniper Rifles. In COD 4 I used the .50 Cal on every map and my all time k/d ratio is 3.89. A stark contrast to my performance when handed a 360 controller. I nicknamed myself Helen Keller in Halo 3 and Gears of War because I sucked so bad at sniping there was no other explanation except that I was blind, deaf and mute.

I bought the tournament edition controller about a month ago at Fry's Electronics so that I could return it if was just another POS controller. It's not. The controller is perfect in it's game performance. It is everything a PC gamer thinks the 360 controller should be but isn't. It's slightly smaller which is a huge plus. The XYAB buttons are mechanical the way the buttons on Razer's mice are so the pressure needed to push one of them is about 10x less than the normal controller and they can be pressed about 3 times as fast. The bumper buttons are the same and there are two bumper buttons one each side. The top bumper's are customizable to whatever you like which at first I thought was stupid but I have come to use them constantly.

The thumb sticks are non slip rubber and the tension adjuster is awesome. All you do is turn a small dial below the thumb pad of each stick either Lefty loosy righty tighty and you hear a small click for each level of sensitivity. The dial's control how much pressure is needed to move the thumb stick. The dial's have 22 levels of adjustment and I have found that with just 5 or 6 clicks the added pressure needed to move each stick has improved my sniping to the point that I'm no longer embarrassed to use one on the 360.

The downsides to the controller are that it doesn’t fit standard 360 headsets. Razer conveniently avoids addressing this matter in the FAQ's on there website. The reason why standard headsets don't work is the start and back buttons are right above the headset plug jack. The biggest problem for me is the cable. I prefer wired controllers but the cable is covered with braided cloth instead of standard rubber. It's very stiff (that's what she said) and the tangles in the cord on my controller have still not come out from when I took it out of the box. It's extremely difficult to put it away since any kind of bending or looping of the cord only makes matters worse.

I normally don't write crap like this since it makes me sound like a fan boy and look like a douche at the same time. I made an exception because I'm such a techno snob that nothing ever meets my expectations let alone exceeds them. Obviously Razer's Onza (such a gay name) is one device that did.

2. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Really eh? Personally I don't have any trouble with the standard XBOX 360 controller so it never justified the extra cost but that's good that it's not "just another XBOX 360 controller" and actually helps the gamer.

As for the buttons being mechanical do they have the clicking sound when you press the buttons like a mechanical keyboard?

deltatux

3. TheGuardian

TheGuardian New Member

GPU:
    GTX780
    I didn't even know Razer made Xbox controller till you mentioned it, and I hate replacing batteries in wireless controllers. I love razer products, and im currently in the market for a wired controller...

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Just get the standard XBOX 360 wired controller, it's only $35 on NewEgg. I have a wired XBOX 360 controller on my PC.

Also, looking at Razer's website, I think the Onza is indeed a wired controller so if you like this instead, then get this instead, it works with the official XBOX 360 PC drivers.

deltatux

5. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Get the Onza TE (Make sure its the TE) w/ The adjustable tension sticks and 6 triggers.
    The amount of control and responsivness is staggering, it feels like it was made for the PC platform.

The D-pad is just not so great for fighters but I have never used the d-pad for fighters anyway, the sticks are more than ample.

My two official wireless Xbox 360 controllers are now dust collectors.

BTW If you have Vista or Win7 you dont need to download any drivers.

6. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    WinXP SP3 has them too. The MS 360 controller for PC comes with a driver CD, but installing this leads to crashes in GTA4.

Don't install any 360 controller driver CDs!