Razer brings THX Spatial Audio to PC gamers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Razer today announced the release of the Razer THX® Spatial Audio App for Windows 10. Featuring advanced 7.1 surround sound with adjustable virtual speakers for superior positional accuracy, the Raze...

Razer brings THX Spatial Audio to PC gamers

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    They are very late to the game. I have Dolby Atmos for Headphones.
    It works well. Only issue I ever had was when Windows update broke MS Store and it could not verify license.
    Still better to have license bound to MS account than to wait for Razer to erase their lic-server.

3. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!

I have thoroughly tested all fake surround apps and features, from dolby atmos, dts surround, creative surround features (including "scout" for clearer footsteps) and found out that not only audio quality diminishes, but audio cues are also fainter and less detailed.
    Stereo is the way to go when playing and is specially better for music.

4. elaganza

elaganza Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    can we try it trial?

5. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti AMP! OC
    No thanks, I prefer native 5.1 from my receiver for games and movies, oh and stereo for music.

ST19AG_WGreymon and alanm like this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Depends on headphones and HW audio processing. Dolby Atmos separates things in way that one can hear hidden things better. At least on good headhones. Potting making details more pronounced will only result in muffled sound on weaker headphones.

Not saying that Razer's software does worse job, just that they are quite late to the game.
    And you are right, stereo is way to go for headphones. 5.1/7.1/... provides good experience for movies in rooms even on cheaper setups.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Agreed. Though for music, prefer stereo upmixed to 4 speakers (front and rear). Vaster more enveloping soundstage while retaining the L&R stereo separation, imaging.

lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  8. RaynerJa

RaynerJa Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I suppose there is no point if i have the creative stuff from x-fi titanium fat. pro?

9. Morax

Morax Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX Vega 64
    Personally I think the so-called "SBX Pro Studio" Surround does a better job (and doesn't limit sound quality to 48KHz and stuff) then Dolby Atmos For Headphones when it comes to positional audio, so it might do the same with this THX-stuff. At least in games and movies, because when just listening to music, "stereo" gives the best experience...

The question is though: is Razer's THX-spatial audio going to be supported in any game, or just the same dozen like Dolby Atmos and DTS Sound Unbound?

10. Zunaro

Zunaro Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    *looks at Xonar Essence STX through case glass* ... Nah Razer, I'll pass. A good pair of headphones and a quality audio source can really give you an excellent soundstage. I've discovered over the years that the best audio experience really will depend on your environment, and choosing the right equipment for it. And even with headphones making sure you choose the appropriate style for your environment will net big quality results.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    The Atmos upscaler in a lot of soundbars and AVRs is actually quite good. So are Atmos Heaphones in Windows. I don't see the meaning to any of this type of software anyore.

lukas_1987_dion likes this.