Rayzen 3800x+x570 pci lanes help

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by superzeus, Oct 25, 2020.

1. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GAMING X
    Hello i have some questions about pci lanes in my setup i really dont know how many lanes i have left cause i want to buy an ASUS M2 CARD EXPANSION but so far i know its only for threadripper cpus?

i have ryzen 3800x and asus strix x570 e gaming
    so i have 40 lanes in total
    i have in my pc
    2 512gb m2 ssd in raid 0 using both m2 slots
    one video card msi 1070
    2 ssd sata express
    2 hard drives sata express

and i want to buy a 3rd m2 ssd and putting with the asus m2 expansion in pci express slot so it would be 3 m2 ssd in one card and maybe a 4th one in a future,its possible to use it in my setup or i run out of pci lanes ??

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    Hi, your manual should explain how your lanes are divided between cpu and chipset so you can manage your pci-e slots, m.2 and sata ports.

3. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    2080S
    My advice...unless u have 1TB main m2ssd and eventually another 1-2Tb for gaming/work, it is more wise just use standard SSD on SATA port, as one m2 usually disables 2 SATA. Just difference in real world work/game scenarios m2/SATA are negligible. Unless u do very heavy video editing, files copying...
    And yes, read manual.
    And math. GFX take 16 lanes, Interconnect 4(guessing), so u will have like 20 left, unless there is something.

4. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GAMING X
    Thanks: well my manual its not very explicit the only ting they said is how pci are divided, but i dont know how many pci lanes iam using, and how many are left to use it.

if i use an m2 expansion with 4 slots its 4 lanes each? meaning 16 lanes and the very question is can i have enough pci lanes for that or not.

5. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GAMING X

thanks: nop i have 2 m2 ssd of 512gb in raid 0, so far i know cpu have 20 lanes and i am using 16 for a video card and 4 for an m2 ssd and chipset 16 and there is another 4 for the another m2 ssd and i sitll have 12 pci lanes but i dont know how many lanes are taken from 2 hard drives and 2 ssd sata so there is the question how many are left an if i a have enough room for the m2 expanssion.

6. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    It should be that 1st m.2 slot and 1st pcie x16 slot have 4 and 16 lanes directly from the CPU - then there is a x4 link to the chipset (CPU has 24 lanes in total).

On X570 this is the general configuration https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/tech-preview-amd-ryzen-with-ryzen-3950x,5.html

Unlike B450/X470, usually all ports are available for use, as far as I know, the MSI X570 Creation is the only X570 board where certain ports get disabled (I believe that board has 3 m.2 slots and if using both of the chipset m.2 slots, one of the chipset pcie slots get disabled).

Nevertheless, you have to remember, when using multiple devices on the chipset, it will be limited to a max of x4 in terms of throughput as that's the link speed to the CPU from the chipset.

A google search has also revealed that someone else is doing a similar thing and is making use of all available storage expansions https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/edif5d/x570_ryzen_3xxx_pcie_lanes/

7. GarrettL

GarrettL Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    Raid with NVME? What’s the benefit?

8. suty455

suty455 Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    If working on massive files, like video editing, the RAID is a benefit. For gaming and other things, it's utterly pointless.

10. 386SX

386SX Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    You need to sacrifice graphics to get 8 lanes.
    You have 16 (gpu) + 4 (nvme) + 4 (chipset/ board) lanes in total.
    GPU may split to 8+8.
    The card will connect 2x nvme drives (4+4) I guess and the others wont connect.
    I have an old Intel 750 SSD with 400GB and PCIe 3.0 x4 mounted in the first slot and my GPU in the second slot, otherwise the SSD blocks air for the gpu.

Good luck. ;)