Ray tracing. Whats the trick?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by vestibule, Aug 14, 2022.

1. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Hey lads, super newbie here to the ray tracing phenomena? :confused:
    So, ray tracing is supposed to synthesise light from the real world into the cyber world.
    But in my set up menu. In addition to ray tracing we have. HDR, shadows, god rays and the likes of HBIO++++++2.
    Do I disable all out side of ray tracing?
    Is HDR, shadows, god rays and the likes of HBIO++++++2. sucking up resources un·neces·sar·ily
    AND is HDR, shadows, god rays and the likes of HBIO++++++2 complimentary to the current raytracing prowess.
    U know, like a vacuum pump to a penis, kind of thing, :confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:D.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  2. ulyxon

ulyxon Member

GPU:
    1030 2GB
    Ray tracing API needs huge rewrites and optimization. The best one is in Cryengine Neon tech demo. It doesn't have all of features but is more optimized and with balanced quality.

vestibule likes this.
  3. Trunks0

Trunks0 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6600XT
    Usually when you an turn on RT if there is another setting in the game that interferes, does the same thing or doesn't work with it, it will disable that feature. So no worries there.

Not all games implement RT the same way. Some times it's just a hand full of effects. RT is often used to do shadows, reflections, Global Illumination etc etc. Very few games use only RT for everything. Examples of things that do, would be Quake 2 RTX.

Best to google or look for optimized setting on per game bases as there is allot of variation.

vestibule likes this.
  4. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    I forgot about this.
    Installing now. :)

5. ulyxon

ulyxon Member

GPU:
    1030 2GB
    I meant the best since it's balanced between performance and quality. No other game engine provides such ray tracing performance on my GT1030. And yes it's possible only newer games simply don't support it anymore.

6. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    @ulyxon
    Yes, just ran the demo and very good indeed. Amongst other things. One thing I noticed was that the demo does not run in full frame. This stops my monitor from applying HDR and so yes this is a raytracing Demo.
    This helps me answer the questions I raised in my first post. :)
    EDIT: Ha, just found the full frame button. Hmmm I see that my monitor does not do HDR very well.
    It was only cheap anyway. :D

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you have never set up HDR to function at its best, it wont.

8. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    HDR only works on my monitor if I leave all monitor settings on Automatic. I guess this allows the application to take full control it, But as for the results, its all a bit hit and miss. But then my monitor cost 250 and not 4000
    So maybe for 250 the performance is considered ok? :(
    Its actually just an 8 bit jobie, 256 squared. I would not recognise it as a HDR monitor but windows hooks into its HDR capabilities ok. So I wont argue with that.
    But definitely when we get the OLED's at OK prices? I will be after one. I have been looking at 2nd hand OLED tv's on E-bay but they are way to big.

9. Lloyd_Braun

Lloyd_Braun Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus rog strix 3080
    Well, your card only supports software RT, vs hardware RT.. So your mileage may vary, and might not be worth the added eye candy to fps ratio.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Another episode of "people talking about things they have no idea about"

sykozis likes this.

11. Trunks0

Trunks0 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 6600XT
    If you looking for stuff to try with RT that's playable on your 6600XT... You have to use up-scaling, but that's become allot more viable than back when the card released.

GhostWire: Tokyo - Use the Temporal Super Resolution option for upscaling.
    Marvels Spider-Man - Completely playable with the RT Reflection on High, 1440p and FSR 2.0 set to quality. Suggest looking at Digital Foundries video on Youtube to use their Optimized settings. I'd back Object distance down to 6 given your CPU.
    Quake 2 RTX - This runs terribly lol, but playable with either FSR or the built in temporal upscaler.

DLSS to FSR 2 modded games, below link lists a bunch. Not all have RayTracing of course and I wouldn't buy these games just to use the mods... but if you already own them it's kinda fun to play with.
    https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-fsr...ding-guardians-of-the-galaxy-and-metro-exodus

Cyberpunk 2077 was kinda fun to check out as a demo, but it ghosts allot. DyingLight 2 has issues as well, but I've found is very playable, so I am using it to play through that game.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  12. vestibule

vestibule Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Strange but true, my RX6600XT runs CP very well at raytracing. But then I only have a 32" 1080p monitor with limited HDR 8bit.
    I checked out NFS heat the other day and on this game the HDR effects look Damn. I didn't expect that good. I hate that game, I should move it to an SSD its stuttertactic.

I am playing Metro E,E,E at the mo and its really very good indeed with the HDR and ray trace.
    I am about to move on to a new game Marvels gradians of the galaxy. I benched it last night and I think it looks better than Cyberpunk?

pegasus1 and Trunks0 like this.
  13. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG 6900XT@2.3Ghz
    I agree, i run it at 4K on a 6900xt with i spose medium levels of RT plus HDR and my FR is always around 80 - 100fps, the game looks great for the most part and amazing in some areas.

Maddness likes this.
  14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Another episode of Astyanax butting in and not contributing anything substantial to a conversation

Let the enthusiasts just chat.

15. BlindBison

BlindBison Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Could you elaborate on what they said that was incorrect? Maybe I misunderstood but I figured they were referring to games like Crysis Remastered which supports software RT on anything (albeit at a laughable cost without hardware RT). I expect I missed something(s). Thanks,

Lloyd_Braun likes this.

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Both RDNA2, Turing and Ampere support hardware ray-tracing. But at different levels.

RDNA2's Ray-Accelerators can do ray-box and ray-triangle intersections. These are the most intensive task in RT.
    But Turing and Ampere go one step further, as they also do BVH tree traversal.

user1 and BlindBison like this.
  17. BlindBison

BlindBison Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    That's good to know thanks -- I expect then that would take some load off of the CPU, right?

18. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    On most games, it runs on shaders. As far as I know, only Spider-man runs the BVH in the CPU.

cucaulay malkin and BlindBison like this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    BVH just accelerates the bounding bog hiearchy, the effect is always done on shaders.

The quoted user stated "your card only supports", no mention of the game itself.

BlindBison likes this.
  20. BlindBison

BlindBison Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Ah, thanks