Raptors worth the extra £

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kila Skila, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Kila Skila

Kila Skila Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 680GTX 4GB
    Looking to buy a new HD, gotta say i no nothing really about them.

Overclockers.co.uk currently have a slight discount on them was tempted to pick up a 150GB model.

So as the title suggested are they worth it say over two 7,200RPM running RAID 0.

Cheers

2. DeatHRattlE

DeatHRattlE Maha Guru

GPU:
    E-VGA 7800GT CO
    Raptors are expensive but you get what you pay for in higher speeds which end up being lower loading times. Maybe some day the price per gig will come down on raptors.

3. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    Look at these benchmarks. The Raptor drive is faster but for gaming the actual performance gain you'll see is a few seconds decrease in loading times on some games.

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 featuring perpendicular recording technology is only £62.95 (£73.97 Including VAT) and will give you 320GB and loading times a few seconds behind a 150GB raptor. Two of these in RAID 0 would make the performance gap even smaller.

4. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti

5. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    You do get something for the money, but the question is really is it worth paying double for, and I think the answer has to be no, and this is more or less your typical high-end pricing where price and gain are totally out of proportion. That said, the raptor is an enterprise-class product and certaily superior so if paying for the best is acceptable then I'd say do it.

Edit: Yeah, I agree that raided 7k drives don't add up to one 10k drive. Funny, but RAID just doesn't seem to help much (or for the desktop anyway), a bit like dual-channel RAM I suppose...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  6. k4t4n4

k4t4n4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    B
    I agree with G L, its more an enthusiast thing.

7. Kila Skila

Kila Skila Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 680GTX 4GB
    Thanks for the feedback guys. So most you believe the Raptor isnt worth the extra £. And to pick up 2 of the seagate perpendicular drives instead.

8. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    I have the raptor and I love it :D Fast game install times and faster boots. It's great for all of it.
    -Satan

9. Price/Performance ratio not good. Also if your a person that happens to do P2P alot (like me) I just dont fancy the idea of a 10,000 rpm drive running 24/7 as I dont think it would live nearly as long.

those SATAII WD Caviliers with the 16mb cache are great drives very low on price now and have tons of space and stil run fast.

I got the 250gb model long time ago and it has done really great for me, silent running and high performance.

the 500gb model was on sale for 200$ at the egg last week, cant beat that.

10. Snooper

Snooper Master Guru

GPU:
    2xASUS EN7800GTX
    I have 2 74gb rapters in a raid 0 and 1 500gb wd for all the other crap and it's fast the 74's arn't to bad in price i think they where like 160 a piece on newegg a few months ago when i was building a new system and decided to just drop the money in my current rig instead...

11. rpg711

rpg711 Guest

raptors are now really not worth it with perpendicular recording now
    perpendicular recording has amazing burst and seek speeds... faster than the raptors... the raptors still win in read and write, but perpendicular is faster in burst and seek... and that equalizes against read and write
    u should just get two 250 gb seagate perpendicular recording drives...
    it will own two raptors in seek and burst... and come very close in read and write... for cheaper... 2 of those will cost around 100-150 us dollars... cheap

12. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    the burst speeds of any sata300 drive are faster than a raptor, because the raptor is sata150. and burst speeds arent that important, they are read out of the cache, and maybe 1% of the time you are doing only that in use.
    and a 7k2 drive cant have faster seek times that a 10k drive, thats mechanically impossible.

13. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    10k and 15k drives have been around for a very long time just in SCSI instead of ATA, and I'm sure they tend to last longer than desktop drives as they are all warrantied for 5 years of constant use. It may well be that some of this extra cost we see with these raptors just is in making them being able to take the extra strain, which might also explain why nobody seems very interested in mainstreaming 10k drives.