RANT AND RAVE! Stop Production of the 9800GTX!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Surfy, Apr 28, 2008.

1. clintonius

clintonius Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512
    lol, awesome :cheers:

2. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    LOL, so am I. I finally decided to buy a 9800 GTX today, it's the Asus variety and of course it came in the usual jumbo Asus "briefcase" box. I haven't installed the card yet, gotta rearrange HD's first due to unexpectedly large size of the card. Nice to look at though. Will SLI my two GTS 640's in my backup machine , though I was less than impressed last time I tried that. SLI still has too many issues.

3. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    i think the point of this thread is missing a key elimant the 9800gtx is only a little more expensive than the 8800gts and clocks higher and also has a much better heatsink does anymore really need to be said if you dont know about components maybe you should stick with console gaming!

AND it can do 3 way sli can the 8800gts do 3 way sli ahem i think not so there is an answer good enough to buy it alone!

4. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Could be, it was a BFG and I had so-so experiences with that brand's QC in the last 3 years, used to be flawless before though.

On a different note, I wonder why the 9800 GTX and GX2 use different drivers than other G92's (which use the same as G80's)? Maybe that explains why the 9800 GTX seemingly does better than what its specs -which merely appear to be those of the 8800 GTS 512, albeit with faster clocks- could lead one to assume...

5. Subternal

Subternal Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT STOCK
    I was smart enough to buy an 88GT from XFX.

1280x1024 w/4xAA, V-Sync, and max settings in DX9 99% of the time.

can't really **ck with that....

6. FlinchingNinja

FlinchingNinja Member Guru

GPU:
    460 HAWK, 88GTS 4 Physics
    Meh, the 8800 gts 512 should of been a 9 series card, or the 9800gtx should of been an 8 series.

Who cares lets just hope the gt200 is worth it.

7. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    My XFX 9800GTX has done nothing, but put a smile on my face :)

8. StretchMaK

StretchMaK New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260/192 x 2
    I love my 9800GTX's, best cards I owned to date. Old 8800GTS 320mb cards were nice but these 9800's flat out rock.

9. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    That would be the case for almost all 9800 GTX owners, since we all upgraded from something slower. ;)

That said I agree with the statement and that comes from a former 8800 Ultra user. Don't get me wrong, in most games the 9800 GTX is not spectacularly faster but it is faster nonetheless, and so far it's the only card I have ever used that performs acceptably in FSX.

It's a bit puzzling. Considering the 9800's published specs one could assume that the boost is due to drivers. For those who don't know the 9800 GTX/GX2 don't use the same drivers as other nVidia cards, they have their own set. But then, if the drivers are different, then there has to be something different with the hardware? I guess so but so far nVidia hasn't been too talkative about it, and reviewers seemed to have avoided the issue. If it's the same as the 8800 GTS 512 then why won't it use the same drivers?

10. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Karl,

Good question. I guess you could technically ask the same question about Quadro drivers etc too. But in most cases, simply changing the ini file allows them to be used with other cards etc. So that begs the question, how "really different" are the drivers? Not being a smart-a**, just asking a valid question based on a different driver for each video card.

Last edited: May 3, 2008

11. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Your question is certainly valid but the fact that the 9800's -and, oddly enough, a few newly released bottom-end 8000 series cards- use drivers that are different from those used with all other nVidia GF cards is something that hasn't happened in a very long time. I suspect there has been a hardware change, perhaps to correct a minor issue, that nVidia hasn't mentioned in order to avoid having users of previous series wonder what the minor issue is, if such is the case.

The fact that the new low-end cards also use those same drivers makes me think it's not a marketing gimmick aimed at making 9800 series owners believe their card is so stratospherically fast it requires its own special "turbo" drivers lol.

12. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    because the future is in SLI. and i guarantee you that the 768MB and 384bit bus is gonna put the 88s ahead if you put 3 88s in SLI against 3 98's in SLI. Because you dont really gain any real signifigent memory benefit from SLI, that 512MB cap will hurt performance at high resolution (1920 and above), extreme postprocessing gaming.

13. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    lol...Future is SLI??

i dont think so..i dont think it ever will be.

14. SaGeUvAgOnY

SaGeUvAgOnY Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GeForce 9600GT 51
    Screw all of you! Voodoo 3,4,5 FTW! Aww I miss 3dfx :( My old Voodoo 3 3000 16MB was a SCREAMER!!!!! Damn you NVIDIA!!!

15. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    it's really sad what has happend to this forum, it looks like its plagued by 8 year old united states of america kids. Where Art Thou? voodoo guru? good times.

16. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Exactly, more isnt neccesarily better.

You cant just keep saying "Well if you want a performance increase just buy another card" - its almost like cpu/gpu design is now about core number rather than the performance of a single core then having that multiplied.

17. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    case and point, I got my new 8800gtx a lot cheaper than the cheapest available 9800gtx

18. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    hahaha, crysis at medium settings? with 2x aa? is that what I'm supposed to buy a 9800gtx for? medium settings?

and that's just for starters. what's the point in benchmarking 'high-end' gpu's at medium settings?

1:when you assume that if a card is faster at medium settings it's probably faster at high settings as well you don't know what you're talking about.

19. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    nice price:)

btw. I never was enthousiastic about SLI.... until I got my 2nd 8800GTX dirtcheap.

It works great

20. bozotheclown

bozotheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTS512@stock
    btw

let's end this pointless debate. I don't participate in discussions like these to show how big my dong is:) I participate in these discussions because it's interesting.

I'm very sure a 9800gtx is faster than an 8800gtx in a lot of situations but not like this:
    1: 17" tft @ 1280x1024!
    2: all settings at max
    3: lots of AA (I hate jagged edges)
    4: vsync: ON (I hate tearing)

all those together guarantee that a 9800GTX, most of the times, is not faster than an 8800GTX.

maybe a 9800gtx is faster at 1920xsomething but how many people use 1920xsomething?

maybe a 9800gtx is faster at medium settings but why get a high-end card to use low-end settings?

etc etc etc

if you have an older adapter and you want a new reasonably prices good performing card, look at what you need/want before you buy one:)

Last edited: May 5, 2008