Random restarts with abrupt black screen

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by flexinho, May 30, 2020.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It should be ok.... although don't quote me on that.

One would hope when purchasing a quality power supply it would come with quality cables as well.

I don't have any experience with Be Quiet power supplies, from what I understand it is a budget brand so I just haven't considered one, I would have suggested a EVGA G2 or G3 power supply, although not G5, because they are not built by Superflower.

flexinho likes this.
  2. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @KissSh0t
    Thanks mate!

Why does the sticker on the PSU say for both 12V rails 48A but 32A + 28A equal 60A?

BeQuiet is a brand from germany and it isn't budget at all. Look at their Dark Rock Pro PSU's for instance. they are very high quality but also expensive. The System Power PSU that i currently have is the lowest tier of PSU's they have and that was my big mistake. The Pure Power should be much better for gaming PC's...hopefully.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    EDIT: wrong info

screenshots I put together from manual:
    [​IMG]
    source: https://www.bequiet.com/en/download/products

It seems there are 4 rails. 2 rails are for the video card(s) ( 12V3 (20A) / 12V4 (20A) ).

I still don't understand how 5v and 3.3v is related...
    -> aren't those in 24pin rail?
    -> or the 24pin cable has 3.3V, 5V and 12V1 rails in it(3 rails in single 24pin cable)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    flexinho likes this.
  4. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @sverek
    You looked up the wrong PSU. The BeQuiet Straight Power 11 has 4 rails. I bought the Pure Power 11 with 2 rails. There are screenshots one thread page 4.

3.3V and 5V are independent of the 12V rails. I am just focusing on the 12V rails because those will power my CPU and GPU.

I think i will use 2 daisy chained cables for my GPU. I don't care about the looks even if my PC has tempered glass and some RGB. I will do my best to cover the redundant cables.

I watched this video and it helped a lot understanding how GPU's und PSU's interact with each other. Everyone who understands german should watch this. The guy worked in GPU and PSU developement and seems to know a lot:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Ah, now I understand where you got 32A from :) (Yeah I looked at "CM" model.)

Rail1 (12V1) : 24pin, drives, PCIe 1+2 -- max current 32A
    Rail2 (12V2) : P4+4, PCIe 3+4 -- max current 28A

Considering PCIe sharing rail with 24pin or P4+4, that would make more sense to use both lanes for the video card.
    And thanks for the video! Finally I get to test my German language skills :D Danke!

flexinho likes this.
  6. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Never had an isse with BeQuiet PSUs tbh, i think this is my 3rd PC with those. I usually choose way more watts than i need though just to be on the safe side.

flexinho likes this.
  7. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @sverek
    Yes, that is what i will do. I think that my PSU wasn't able to handle those small spikes from my GPU and in the long run it damages some parts so my PSU started reacting more sensible and chooses to shut down. My current PSU has only one PCIe cables with two daisy-chained 6+2-pin-connectors so the GPU can only run on one 12V rail and I can't change this. Now I will be able to choose if I want all on one rail or on two. Having the option is always great.
    But nevertheless...wish me luck that a new PSU will fix the problem. I never had such a strange problem with any of my PC's and the restarts are so random. I already had two random restarts today...

The videos from this guy are deep. He really knows what he is talking about and helped me a lot with my really strange problem. All what he says in his videos is always on his website in english and russian if anybody here is interested in what could cause random restarts.

Others always say just change the whole PC and it will work again but I always want to know why the hell it stopped working in the first place and then start replacing stuff.

@DocStr4ngelove
    My first BeQuiet PSU is my current System Power B9 and it didn't hold a full year. But it was my fault to choose the lowest low end even if it has 600 watts what should be more than enough for my rig. In the future i wouldn't go under 80+ Gold PSU's. Not because of the efficiency but because they usually are higher quality in general.

Every PSU calculator tells my that 500 or 550 watts should be enough for my rig but i want to be safe so i choosed 600 watts.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Another thing you could think about is protecting the power supply with a surge protected power board, if you haven't already that is.

flexinho likes this.
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The problem with "quality" power supplies.....is people equate quality to brand.

PSU ODMs build units based on what the customer asks for. If the customer (eVGA, Corsair, BeQuiet, Thermaltake, etc) asks for a cheap PSU, they'll get a cheap PSU..... ODMs build to spec.

flexinho and sverek like this.
  10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This. The difference between brands is logo, customer support and pride of owning the product.
    Corsair doesn't build its own factory to make PSU, they just pay to stamp Corsair logo on it.

By end of the day, users just buy whatever looks better and promoted with ads or hype. Corsair gets a lot of hype going for its brand and users basically just want to have everything Corsair in their PC case (cause it looks slick or something else).

flexinho and Caesar like this.

11. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    The BeQuiet PSU's are put together by FSP Technology Inc. in Taiwan. I think many others are too. Even all those praised quality japanese capacitors are from Taiwan or China.

At the end of the day when it comes to PSU's i will always look for enough wattage, all protections, 80+ Gold, DC to DC and at least 5 years warranty.

PS: My new PSU will be delivered today. I will test it immediately and hopefully this fixes my random restarts. I can just say for sure that it fixes the problem if my PC doesn't randomly restarts for around 2 weeks. Wish me luck guys...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    sverek likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    not a fan of bequiet, the active pfc in those have issues on 120v circuits contributing to system stuttering.

flexinho likes this.
  13. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    I have the new PSU and installed it. I use two PCIe cables for the GPU in 2 lanes instead of just one daisy-chained.

Until now there are no crashes but i need to test it over a longer period.

One change that i measured is the voltage on the 12V rail in games. My old PSU had exactly 12V in games (when outside of games it was nearly always 12.09V - the new one now has 12.38V inside and outside of games. All the rails are now much more stable and doesn't fluctuate like on my old PSU. I use HWMonitor to check the voltages.

I know that PSU'S have +/- 5% tolerance but it is strange that my old PSU fluctuated much more than the new one.

-Tj- likes this.
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Most power supplies are manufactured by ChannelWell, Great Wall, SuperFlower, FSP, Seasonic, Flextronics and a couple other companies. None of them are necessarily better or worse than the others. They all build based on specs provided by the customer. As long as they're used in the appropriate system, they'll all do just fine.

The longest running ATX PSU I've had, was actually manufactured by Great Wall.... Lasted 10 years. My shortest running PSU was produced by ChannelWell. Lasted only a few days.... I've actually got a 6 year old 300watt SFX unit manufactured by Great Wall that has done just fine.....

Japanese Capacitors, are designed and manufactured in Japan.....

flexinho likes this.
  15. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @sykozis
    I never had any PSU die on me, because i often buy a whole new PC before the time of the PSU would end.

This is the first time it happens and it was my dumb fault because i bought the cheapest one and thought enough wattage would do the job.

I never experienced random restarts where i really couldn't finde the root of the problem. Hopefully it is fixed now. Since I installed the new PSU i had no restarts but as i said before: I am just sure that it is fixed, when i tested it for around 1-2 weeks.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've seen a lot of power supplies fail over the years but I've also been doing this for roughly 25 years now.....

Hopefully your problem is resolved.

flexinho likes this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    never quite seen one behave like this when warm though.

flexinho likes this.
  18. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @sykozis
    I really hope so too! :oops:

No crash since i installed the new PSU.

upload_2020-6-11_11-7-40.png

The critical ones were the random restarts. In the last 7 days i had 30 of them. Really high number and really annoying. But I am waiting for the 0 on the last 7 days statistic. Sometimes there was a 0 but then after 10 days or more it started happening again. So I am still not happy but I hope that it is fixed. When it happens again I will cry... :(

19. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    First of all most PSU makers recommend to use 2 cables.
    Second is common sense:
    You have a fixed maximum power draw of 8+6 which is 150+75=225 watts.
    Every cable will heat up when current flows through it, depending on diameter and amount of current.
    If you split that up into 2 separate "circuits" by using 2 cables, each one is colder than using only one.
    The thinner the cables, the more heat will build up. This could result in cables smoldering and burning at worst.
    Also depending on the PSU 2 cables won't stress each component in the PSU as much as when connecting only one. It benefits the life span of your PSU.

So there is no bad side except the need to route the additional cable through the rig. But hey, if this results in your PSU lasting one more year ... why not? ;)

"Wenn Sie zu mir Du sagen dürfen, dürfen Sie mich duzen."

"Eine Frau sieht eine andere Frau mit ihrem Kind. Das Kind schreit und tobt.
    Da fragt die eine Frau: "Darf das das?"
    Da antwortet die Andere: "Das darf das."
    Da sagt die eine Frau: "Also, dass das das darf kann ich nicht verstehen.""

Good luck. ;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    flexinho likes this.
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've seen a lot of power supplies have issues once heated up..... What I haven't seen is a case where the issue presents itself so randomly. I've seen a lot of crazy things over the years so nothing really surprises me any more.

flexinho likes this.