Random black screen (or other color) when playing games Gigabyte RX 480

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Abax Iman, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Abax Iman

Abax Iman New Member

GPU:
    RX480 8GB
    Hello,

When I play games as Need for Speed Payback, Ruiner, Mirror Edge 2.... my computer freeze and I have to hard reset. Lately I can reset pc with reset button, but some time before that I had to turn it off with power button because even reset button was not responding. I tried to think out of the box and I borrowed UPS, because I have some electricity surges in area where I live so I figured power surges could influence GPU; I even have protection for surges.
    I read numerous topics with similar issue, but I just can figure out what is wrong with my system. I'm really desperate and pissed about this issue. If GPUs wouldn't be so expensive atm I would just bought new Nvidia GPU. I had never issues with those. It looks that undervolting GPU helps just a bit so I'm pretty sure It's power consumption issue. Sometimes I can play for hours, but then again sometimes freeze happen just after few minutes gameplay.

I used HW Monitor and HWiNFO64 to log info, but I can't really see anything wrong with temperatures of CPU or GPU. Voltage on GPU looks stable too, but I'm not expert so I could be wrong. All drivers are updated to latest, have latest bios on GPU and mobo, just clean installed win10. Everting runs on stock settings. I did tinker a bit, mostly to try to figure out I changing any OC or UC setting would help.

My specs:
    ASUS MB STRIX Z370-H GAMING, LGA 1151, DDR4, ATX
    CPU Intel 1151 Core i7 8700K 4.2GHz Box 95W - Coffe Lake
    Cooler Intel/AMD SCYTHE Mugen 5 Rev.B SCMG-5100
    GPU GIGABYTE RX480 (GV-RX480WF2-8GD)
    DDR4-16GB 3000MHz CL16 KIT (2x 8GB) G.Skill 16GB Aegis (F4-3000C16D-16GISB)
    PSU Gigabyte B700H 700W
    Monitor AOC Q3279VWF connected via DP
    WIN 10 EDU

Before that RX480 was used with overclocked Intel Quad Q9650 with DDR2 8GB and I could run almost anything on high setting on 22" 1080 monitor.

I made assumption about issues. It's proly driver or bios issue or maybe some compatibility issue, but so far I found bo useful info on this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    I would do all the standard trouble shooting first. I e. reseating power to motherboard, pulling one memory stick at a time to see if one is going bad,. Reseat the cooler on the cpu and make sure it isn't overtightened, I had that problem. Then I would look at the oldest part of my pc which looks like your gpu. If it is possible to use an older gpu/ or a friends newer gpu and see if you have same problem. Then try power settings in windows, i.e. high power vs normal power setting. You could also try and go back to a driver you were stable at before the system crash. And of course do a full virus/malware scan of system. Or do a restore at an earlier date when pc was running well.

3. Abax Iman

Abax Iman New Member

GPU:
    RX480 8GB
    Tnx for response. I did most of those things, but it won't hurt if I do one or two more things. I'm already arrange to swap my gpu for another rx480 and test my system and also my gpu on other system. But something tells me that core of the problem must be in GPU. I just remembered that I had few minor issues on old system also. First thing was that old monitor (DVI) couldn't reconnect after sleep mode and I had to turn it off and on to get rid of white noise, so I just disable it and set sleep mode just for pc. Also I remember that GPU setting were resetting a lot. Sometimes threshold was just to right click on some desktop icon.