Rampage 5 Extreme not even posting?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by fantaskarsef, Oct 15, 2019.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Hey fellow gurus, here's my issue:

Board runs fine, does the OC well (4.5 on my 5930K, running 2x8GB RAM at XMP 3200MHz). System is stable (as in, I did not see any major issues or crashes at all) during use, and doesn't behave differently once it's running. But...

Last Friday I started the PC for a short time, shut it down normally. Came back home later in the evening and started up the rig, and the PC only went until it showed error code "B7" on the Qled. So...
    In the manual it's not listed (reserved for future AMI codes...), a bit of light research points to things like instability with the RAM / OC.

But here's the thing: I press the safe boot button which loads default BIOS, and the rig still doesn't get past error code A2 (IDE detect), no post.
    When I press safe boot a second time right after, the PC boots into post and enters BIOS without issues, reads all the values and has the saved settings applied (just booted with defaults, but runs like set). When I exit the BIOS without saving the PC boots perfectly normal, starts windows, and lets me use the rig (play) without the least issues.

So what do you say gurus, what's the culprit here?
    I could imagine that the mainboard's degrading.
    I could imagine that the BIOS might be corrupted.
    Is the BIOS battery getting weak so it isn't able to load the settings 100% afterwards?
    Is there an issue with power delivery via the PSU?
    Would it be smart to put in a little more voltage to the RAM and CPU (system agent) because the instability prevents a clean boot?

Thanks for any comments, I'm not sure what to do. Since using the PC after it's booted via the before mentioned procedure does work 100% like I'd expect it, I don't think I need to tackle any major issues here, e.g. no new build necessary. I just want to avoid having to use safe boot button twice etc., and not risk any real issues down the road.

edit:
    Here's what exactly happened right now before starting:

Pressed safe boot, came into post, but NOT BIOS since it was stuck at A2 while doing so.
    Another safe boot, posted, went into BIOS, quit it right away (no changes), rig starts and runs fine.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

This error B7 or 67 is usually or often related to DIM/RAM on X99/X299 and I would try reflash BIOS to newest or earlier BIOS which you are used previously

I assume you are using XMP profiles for RAM, if yes can you try use manual settings

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Hey @jura11

Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured as well. Thought about running memtest a bit too just to be sure, will do a flash to the latest BIOS (if it's not already on my board).

Yes I'm currently using XMP, but setting the things manually isn't an issue.

4. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    Always a good idea to re-seat memory , cards, etc when you have stuff like that.

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Rats - I was hoping yours was dual BIOS it's not but it does support the following: USB UEFI BIOS Flashback® Refresh your BIOS in a flash, even when the system is off give this a try

see if you have any toggle switches like besides the one in this photo and revert them all to the default state
    [​IMG]

last resort another psu perhaps

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yeah could give this a try as well, although the GPU is a little bothersome, custom loop and all :D

That switch is for slow mode, e.g. LN2 booting. Not sure if it would help, but one can always try. I still believe it's just a "software" issue since gaming works like it does all the time, no different behavior at all from the moment the system boots into BIOS on second "safe boot".

And I probably am a sucker, trying what I can do besides buying new hardware, more like saving it up for the next build right away, which probably will happen next year... maybe I can hold out until AMD's next offering, bring the 2080TI and 4x8GB 3200MHz CL14 along :cool:

7. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Safe Boot eh... Maybe BIOS having trouble loading a component in your system - have you tried component isolation? One by one remove makeup of your hardware config to see if affects BIOS booting smoothly? (I'd start with RAM modules / slots)

EDIT: We are referring to SAFE BOOT as in the BIOS's SAFE BOOT or the Operating Systems's Safe Mode?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yes, it's BIOS safe boot, not OS safeboot. The second I start from BIOS everything runs and boots normal, including windows itself.
    And no I haven't really had much time to invest into that this weekend. Lacking behind on "maintenance" there :(

9. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    kk :) (well - best of luck)