ram issues with P5E3 - causing pc to freeze, help plz!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by matty_111, Nov 24, 2008.

1. matty_111

matty_111 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 275
    hello everyone, so i bought my pc about 11 months ago now, the specs are as follows:
    asus P5E3 m/b
    2gb DDR3 (1x1) OCZ 1333 7-7-6 plat.
    intel e8400
    asus 8800gts 512

ive had no problems with the pc up until now when i recently purchased another 2gb of the same ram above, all it does it keep freezing when loading vista, the bar just freezes.

usually ive had the fsb set to 400 thus making cpu 3600mhz.
    the ram timing was set to 7-7-6 and freq was @ 1333.
    all other settings were set to auto.

after i installed the ram it wouldnt even boot up into windows so i set the ram freq to 1002 and it worked for a while however after a while it just kept freezing whilst in windows so i reverted the fsb back to 333..
    now its okay but i just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing or knows what is going on because i would really like to fix it!
    cheers

2. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    I experienced the exact same thing with my P5E3 though my memory was Kingston HyperX 1375MHz at 1333MHz and if you look on the Asus forums there are plenty of others experiencing the same thing.

I never did resolve the issue and Asus Tech Support wanted me to send my memory modules to them in Taiwan (at my expense) so they could test their board with them. (see the twilight Zone post on the Asus forum)

I changed my motherboard to the Foxconn Black Ops after that.

All I can suggest you try is to raise the NB voltage a little at a time and test, also relax the memory timings (try 8-8-8-24-2N), you'll find that it will probably run 7-7-7-20 at 1066MHz.

Set your Ai Clock Twister to light and use Boost Level 1 (maybe 2) or maybe even try Relax Level 1, see Johns posts on the Asus forum for relax though he was using 2*2GB modules iirc, he went Relax I went boost.

You may also wish to try setting your DRAM Clock Skew on Channel B to advance 100ps.

I have an overclock record in Excel format which I'll post up when i get home after work, it may be of some use to you. (see below)

Good Luck

:)

EDIT:

This is with my E8600, Kingston memory and Bios 1201 so you'll have to adjust it to suit your hardware but it was stable, another suggestion is to set all your memory settings to auto, boot into Windows, run Memset 3.5 and tweak from there, that way you'll see what your tREF (Ref Cycle Time) etc are set to by default.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  3. matty_111

matty_111 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 275
    hey man i havnt had enough time to look @ the asus forums yet, got exams this week:(
    haha i know i wouldnt send my ram off to some dogey joint in taiwan.
    ill try relaxing the ram timings and inc dram voltage, see if that changes anything.
    i havnt looked for ai clock twister whats that do?
    thanks for those settings ill try make mine similar to that, hopefully it works!
    if not ill just have to invest in another m/b!
    dunno why asus dont get off their lazy asses and fix it by releasing another bios, this mb was fair expensive when i got it and its hell bad!
    hows your new m/b?
    ps - thx for the help buddy:)

4. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    New board is a ripper, 4*1GB modules at 1333MHz 7-7-7-20-1N-PL9 no worries.

Clock twister tightens up the memory sub timings, so the more you tighten your main timings this is theoretically a fine tune for your sub timings, as with all things different brands and even modules deliver varying results so it is trial and error until you find what works for you.

The one I found to be of more use was clock skew, by advancing Channel B the data it sends gets to the cpu the same time as Channel A thus reducing any "waiting" time before the cpu can process it, we're only talking pico seconds here but it can contribute to stability I found.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008

5. matty_111

matty_111 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 275
    thx man, so i tried similar settings with ai twister and skew but its just not working with memory freq @ anything over 1066:(
    what a piece of **** motherboard lol.
    im thinking of saving up and just going for those new core i7's but they are expensive.
    i dont even know if the ddr3 mem we have runs with the i7's havnt done any research on em, just had a look @ the benchmarks on the review site and they looked decent..
    the mb u got is x48 chipset yeah? heard its pretty good:)
    cant believe asus resolve this problem, ive always had g'byte and msi m/b first time went with asus and got dogged.

6. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
    Black Ops is X48, yes.

TBH with you, I got the sh1ts with that board too, it's sitting in its box under my desk, didn't even bother to try selling it.

X58/i7 use triple channel memory kits with low VDIMM, Intel recommends staying below 1.65V, there are people running at higher by adjusting unclock and QPI voltages but as it is early days yet no one has any idea of the long term effects of this.

If I were to upgrade I would stick with the new low voltage triple channel kits I think, with the sort of money involved I would err on the side of caution for now.

I've always had Asus boards (6 in total) and this is the first one I've had probs with, I still believe it is a power problem, the 12V just isn't up to the job and they have stopped developing bios' for it now anyway so time to move on I guess.

iirc there was an issue about compatibility with OCZ memory too, have a read on the Asus forum, I believe "John" had a lot of trouble with OCZ memory modules

7. matty_111

matty_111 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 275
    yeah i know then ill have to get new ram and i dont know whether i can be stuffed forking out like 400 for a new mb, 400 for another cpu and another 500 for some ram lol.
    is there even much performance difference with having the ram set at 1066?
    i dont really care much as the games i play run fine atm, and it runs oorite in windows:)
    yeah your mb looks good as, i looked at a review, how mch was it? u live in aus?