RAM for Vista...

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Keith Wing, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    I have 2 Gig. now but from what I am reading whe Vista comes out I will need around 4 Gig. to keep things running like they are. Would it be better to get 2x2GB chips since using 4 1xGB ones won't run at DDR 400 speeds?

Keith

2. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    I heard vista takes 800mb ram for general use. And 2 gb ram is recommended to play games on vista. So i think you should wait and see how it turns out. It's still beta things can change and your 2 gb will probably be enough.

3. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    4GB .... dude .. wait ... i think 2 GB will be more than enough ... and if microsoft sources are correct the Vista will unload lots of resources when the game is launched .....

*PS* ... i tried the beta 2 .. it leaves about 650 MB of 1 GB free

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 9800GTX
    I'm by no means an expert but by conjecture i doubt very much the requirements will end up being that huge. It would be just stupid marketing to have such huge requirements. You can't realistically expect everyone to completely overhaul computers just for the OS, yes there is that 64bit req but i'm talkin memory/vid card etc.
    The 800mb req stated I think just pertains to the lame aero whatever its called, that 3d window thing (which better be able to be turned off, i want vista for dx10 and instant searches, not so retarded ability to flip windows around, I want my OS to be the LOWEST req thing i'm running at all times..) and will likely be huge resource reduction when anything goes fullscreen, after all why dedicate resources to something not used/seen? Isnt that the whole thing about vista, like godly resource allocation? I forget i could be wrong, but whatever.

5. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    vista is almost a year away and if your smart longer than that:) service pak1:) Wait and see what you need then it will only be cheaper!
    2bg modules at this time are VERY expensive Very rare and probably won't even work on your MB anyway. 4 x 1gb should run at 400 mhz and 2t if your running and opty, venice, sandiago or newer core

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  6. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I mean the Linux doesnt use that much memory than Vista......and as far as i know they have pretty cool programs. Another fact is that if Microsoft does stay with the current requirements they are going to loose a lot of monet since most basic computers that a famil has are below the requirements. Maybe like 60 to 70 percent. My guess on what Microoft will do is that Vista will Need at least 512MB to run and anything above a 1GB will be with most of the features on

7. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    Yes 4gb is the likely amount of ram enthusiasts will need for future gaming on vista. 2gb will probably last you until mid-end 2008 though. 2gb is reported as the minimum any enthusiast gamer should consider on vista, in fact it is almost the minimum as of now on windows xp.

The time 4gb becomes the standard though you will most likely want a whole new system upgrade and you will be using DDR2 if not DDR3 and yes 2x2gb would be the best choice.

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that 800mb thing was foiled as a myth a while back. Vista should run fine with 1GB but 2GB is way better. I guess we'll find out.

9. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000

I presume that u havent tested the BETA version of the Windows?

Generaly the Windows itself takes only 800MB....What about other programs when u put......then how much will it go.......

for now untill i see the need to go to 2GB i will but since there are a few games that benefit from it i rather stay with my trusty 1GB

10. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    Well right now anything less than 1.5 Gig during gaming gives me HD thrashing so I am assuming I need about 3 Gig. when Vista comes out to keep things the same since 64-bit programs take more RAM.

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    @wraith: Right now in task manager Windows is only taking 256MB of physical RAM and 170MB of the virtual memory. This is with all my programs running like normal whenever I boot up. Hopefully Vista won't eat RAM to badly compared to XP.

@Keith: Wow. with my 1GB I barely get any HD access during gaming. Only a tinsy bit in NFSMW, BF2, and HL2 but not enough to ruin the game. It's only like a second or two. Now in oblivion it does access the hard drive quite a bit but that's because I enabled hard drive caching through the .ini so it's supposed to use it.

12. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    Everquest II is what I play quite a bit and it seems to really like 1.5 Gig or more. And with my 2 Gig. I am able to alt-tab out of it and have firefox running so I can look stuff up without any slowdowns.

Keith

13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Cool sounds great man. Wish I had 2GB DDR500 to alt tab and overclock with. :frown:

14. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Looking at windows releases history, 2GB will be enough to get by. No more. But within a year or so 4GB won't that big of a deal anymore.

15. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    For a short time I went from 1.5 Gig. down to 1 Gig. before going back up to 2 Gig. All I can say is that 1 Gig. really gets frustrating. If I had a RAID setup or a Raptor HD then maybe but otherwise 1.5 Gig. seems to be the minimum. Granted I don't do like some people and close out all my background processes before playing a game.

Keith

16. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I've run vista perfectly fine with 512 ram, and it can only improve from the beta.

17. Saiyanora

Saiyanora Active Member

GPU:
    x800np (r430) 460/585
    From some of the estimates on here I can't imagine the pains some people are going to have with budget PCs that have Vista already installed. 256mb on XP (and a Celeron/Sempron) is bad enough, I can still see some manufacturers trying the same thing on Vista with 256/384/512 configurations with that Aero thing running...

18. jasonsupreme

jasonsupreme Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX280 WC gpu750
    I bought a DFI Lanparty RDX200 and that board is design to run four sticks at 1T

19. jasonsupreme

jasonsupreme Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX280 WC gpu750
    i should have my new ram and new operating system in two days but i have a question how many games out today are optimised or made or written to run in 64 bit coding.

The game elder scrolls definatly looks like it requires 2gb of ram when running all specs on high, the scenary is so big with large landscapes and almost every tree in distance is running in memory so i guess 2gb on 64 must certainly be able to straighten out them little frame drops that frequently keeps on appearing during this game... if it's already compatible i mean.

if anyone has a list of 64 bit games can you drop me a link, i've had 64-bit for awile and surely they must have more than 3 games out, i just hope i'm not wasting my money on xp 64 and i really want to take advantage of my ram.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  20. dboniuk

dboniuk Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 3090 OC
    One thing to note, amongst those that are discussing the beta of Vista and ram requirements, is that the Vista beta is running very few processes. Some folks, like me, customize their enviroment and run various startup and background tasks. None of those are running in in my Vista test setup so it is really not an accurate reflection of how much RAM is going to be used once I get my system setup the way I wish to.

That being said, I still think that for the "average" user/gamer 2GB is going to get you by. If you run the latest games with everything turned on, or if you play something like EQ2 with settings slanted toward high quality, you will probably need 3GB where you have 2GB today. I don't see anything that will need 4GB to run in the near future, and like others have said, 4GB will cost a lost less in 2 years than it does now.

DJB