RAM: 4 sticks v/s 2 sticks

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stromgold, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    I want to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram, and currently I have 2 sticks of 512. I know that 2 1gb sticks is better than 4 512 sticks. My question is how much difference would there be in the performance of 4 512 sticks v/s 2 1 gig sticks?

2. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    1T vs 2T, but I don't think that it's that bad... I was running (accidentally) 2T on my ram for a while.

-Satan

3. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    some site had an article about this a while back, comparing 2x1gb Vs 2x512 Vs 4x512 in modern games, i thought it was firingsquad, but i cant find it right now

there was a small impact, but not enough to seriously worry about it imho

once i scrape up enough cash from selling some old stuff ill plug in another 2x512 into my mobo

4. kenace0

kenace0 Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 9600 gt
    if you plan on OCing then go 2x1geg for higher OC's :) :)

5. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Excellent! I think I'll go with 2 more 512 sticks and save myself $100 or so. :)
    I suppose that I need to find 2 sticks with close to the same timing?

6. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    Go with two 1GB RAM sticks man!
    And make sure,you go for a good one,like OCZ or Corsair XMS!

7. Pupp3tmast3r

Pupp3tmast3r Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well, maybe you could look for the same sticks of ram? I've got Geil Value Ram, they're still selling so I could still buy 2 more if I wanted too. Maybe you can too.

8. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    ive considered that, but really, you are paying 50-80 bucks more (in my case) even if you can unload the current ram for a decent price, and 80 bucks just fo 1T timings is a bit overdone imho, those same 80 bucks can be stuck in some other part of the PC for a better purpose

9. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I've run into a number of problems running 4x512 sticks. Even though they are the same model they refuse to run at SPD timings. In pairs alone they do SPD fine, but quad them up and they have to be changed from 2 3 2 5 to 2.5 3 3 5, and obviously from 1T to 2T. This being at stock speeds of course, with 2 3 2 5 being SPD. I'm not sure how other RAM is like, but I know that having 4 sticks can cause problems like this. I also hit a rather low overclock as well, and with my old board the RAM would go unstable over 220MHz whereas now is stable up to 250.

I guess what I am saying is that, depending on your board and the RAM you could end up having negative performance in certain aspects. However, overall, having the 2GB is worth more than the 1GB at better timings and higher speeds. But, given the choice between 4x512 and 2x1GB it is a lot better to go with the single pair than dual pairs.

10. monkey_feces

monkey_feces Guest

I disagree. 4 RAM modules in striping mode would kill 2. The ram modules on each stick only need to make a half spin. You are technically doubling the speed of a ram module if you attribute a quarter spin to each ram module over just 1 ram module's full spin. I would say go for 4 ram modules in striping mode, but make sure they are in striping, not redundancy.

11. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080

Look your not funny, I have read enough of your stupid childish post in the last two weeks to last a lifetime. People come here for help, get it.
    The next time I see that from you I will email ADMIN. with all your stupid post.
    I think you would fit in at MYSPACE.COM check it out.:bolt:

12. ThugRen

ThugRen Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 BFG PCI-E
    I am have the same problem with mine..
    I have 4-512 Megs OZ. 2.5T.. and I can get 2 of them running at DDR400 or Higher but I add those 2 extra's and it drops the DDR333. I can manual clock them to 400. But I am Running some odd problems. My CPU has to be stocked at 200Mhz. With the 4 Ram. And Prior 2 ram I could get 225's..
    It comes down to CPU or RAM. But I am notice in My tested that I am missing the HyperTreading setting and CPU Cache is halfed and missing. I am up to reinstalling my system. Not to sure if it's a Software Issue or something else on my side. Anyone Post me a good tool to test or tweak this?

13. monkey_feces

monkey_feces Guest

Bigpipe, just ignore him. It's attention wh0res like that who feed off of the occasions in which they are acknowledged. Be it positive, or negative acknowledgement.

Back to the topic- I have a similar question to the OP's. I have 4 sticks of ram in my rig, 2x1gb and 2x512mb. Would I see any performance gain by removing the 2x512MBs? I know they aren't doing anything because nobody needs that much ram, but I don't want to remove them if it won't help.

14. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    pre E revision amds did that, so im guessing you have a winchester/newcastle/clawhammer?

any E revision (venice/san diego/manchester/toledo) should run 400 mhz 2T with 4 sticks

15. DeMarki

DeMarki Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SoC 1280
    I got 4x512MB DDR running on Dual Channel at 2-3-2-5. Can anyone tell me if those work on 1T or 2T? How can I tell the difference?

16. giorgos th.

giorgos th. Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800GX2
    the difference between 1T-2T in real life progs is not big at all.i`d say 2-3%.
    the only purpose i`d buy 2*1 gb is that i leave 2 slots open for future upgrade.
    @DeMarki use cpu-z 1.33 to see if you are 1-2T,eventhough i think they work with 2T by default.

17. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    well i just popped in the two dimms from my little brother for 4x512 and did some testing

superpi didnt really suffer, but im not entirely sure about that, since im still trying to figure out how the hell this dual core thing works, it seems like windows keeps balancing superpi between the two cores swapping back and forth or something

i also did some gaming, and BF2 was noticably better, even with my relatively low settings (it uses no more then 800 mb in game) it loaded huge amounts faster, the few servers i tried i always spawned at least 10-15 secs before anyone because of the increased loading performance

ill be picking up two extra sticks of 512 kingston tomorrow, that should improve performance a bit, since my borthers sticks are valueram, i had to run 3-3-3-8 instead of 2-3-2-5

18. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Ok. This goes for all here.

Stromgold

Actually 2X1GB is far better than 4X512 GB.

Why? you ask...

Then, at first, you have the option for a bigger upgrade later (lets say you want 3GB and you just need to buy another stick.

Second. I can see that you have a 3800 Venice, its memory controller is a good one but not even that strong to support 4GB running at high speeds and tight timings at 1T.

For all of you who asked about running 1T or 2T... it really depends a lot on the motherboard and the Processors MC. Going from 2T to 1T really doesnt depends on the memory modules, but actually from the motherboard in which this option is dependant on your MCs processor and the Drive Strenght and Data Drive level in your BIOS.

With a Lanparty Ultra or even Infinity you can change those options to a better setting so that you can get 1T with a good trfc and so that would boost your perfomance, if not, many motherboards doesnt bundle this options in the BIOS and so they have a poor option which you can set with "AMD64 Tweaker" from Weak level to Normal level.
    (If you want any personal help send me a PM)

Then, why are users having troubles with 4X512 mb?
    Well, first, sometimes they buy different moddels in which maybe the supossed timings and mhz should be the same but their SPDs from factory are different.

Secon, we have seen that AMD is very strong using 1 slot (principally the ones which are near the processor because of the time and hability they have in the MC to control that memory.
    But what happends when we have... lets say 2x512? then, overclocking results into a very different and more diffcitul project because when using 1 slot maybe we reached 620 mhz and when using dual channel we can get just 600mhz.

Every stick works different (even when they come un a dual channel kit) so, if 2 sticks which are different are difficult to set and overclock, 4 different sticks is even more difficult.
    Also, think that AMD didnt thought a lot about the strenght between memory and processor and so, having its all 4 slots working its more difficult (here is where we can play with Drive and Data Drive Strenghts and reductions).

So, my recommendation would be to sell the 2x512mb kit you have and get a 2x1GB kit.

@Demarki
    Try looking at the newest CPU-Z 1.4 you can download in the main page of www.guru3d.com Depends a lot on your motherboard if youre running at 1T or 2T

@monkey_feces

You have 3GB of RAM.
    The ideal configurations should be 4X1GB or 2x1gb OR 2x512 but here, it would work better having it as you have now.

Yes, you could gain more stability and overclocks when using 2x1GB but the difference is better when using 3GB.
    Also in games the difference would be very noticeable when ussing 3GB against 2GB and also in video and photo editing.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  19. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Wow, thanx for the info Kain. That is probably the most thought out, intelligent answer I've ever seen on these forums. :dave:
    2 x 1 gb it is then. :)

20. monkey_feces

monkey_feces Guest

Thanks Kain. I swore I could feel the difference between 3gb and 2gb on bf2. People just told me I was delusional and subconsciously didn't want to admit that I wasted money on an extra gig that I didn't need.