RAID0: 2x 2TB or 2x Raptor300GB?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Lutfi, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Lutfi

Lutfi Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870X2 Trifan
    which is better, two 2TB in RAID0 or two 300GB WD Raptor?

i search for the review on two Raptor 300GB setup but end up reading something on the tomshardware that said it is not really worth to go Raptor for RAID0.

Instead he stated that it is better to use higher capacity hard disk, like 1.5TB or 2TB..

is this true..

considering that the Raptor has 16mb cache and 2TB has 32cache (and some got 64mb?? )

tQ :D

2. thecake90

thecake90 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    If you want speed go for SDD! it is 100 times faster than the raptor.

If you want space then go for the 2x 2Tb :)

3. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    This week I put myself a similar question:bang:either 1Tb RAID0 or SSD and ended buying 2 HDD for RAID 0 (1 Tb) and let the SSD grow up a little:wanker:. If I were you I would consider 2TB in RAID0 and wait 1 year or so and buy a cheaper SSD for speed.

I know, u want to combine speed with storage and 2Tb RAID 0 with an SSD will gonna blow your b.a.l.l.s. :biggun: more than 2 Raptors can do.

4. Lutfi

Lutfi Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870X2 Trifan
    what if it is in term of speed itself.. does raptor better than 2tb in RAID0..

i also want to have two SSD but, here the price itself is way too high..

so, right now, i just considering between two of these; Raptor 300GB or 2TB.. :D

5. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    It really depends on your end goal.

Do you want ultimate speed?

Do you want the ultimate storage?

What is your budget?

In terms of pure speed, a ssd is the only way to go.
    My corsair has read/writes of 220mbps.

That blows away raptors and if you raided two of the ssd's, well....damn!

The best choice would probably be a ssd for the boot drive and a few programs.

Install a 1-2 TB drive for all the rest of the programs,music,video's,documents..

PLEASE NOTE: There is a WIDE variety of speeds with different brand/model ssd's.
    Compare both the sequential reads and writes.

6. itsb1again

itsb1again Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 285 @ 702
    If it was me i'd go 2x 2TB in Raid0 - I just purchased the Hitachi 2TB 32 MB cache for 179.99.. Gonna get another one and go raid0

7. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    My normally matra...

You would need to mad to run RAID 0 without a good reason.

The real world benifits an tiny unless you are running a very heavy I/O based process, Encode/Render/SQL Queries on a large scale.

Yes you will get slightly (very) quicker load speeds in some situtations and a nicer looking graph in the benches

However 2x1TB = you loose one of the 2, you loose 2TB of data.

RAID0 = not worth the risk.

SSDs may be different as the would be less prone to failure, but even they are not immune.

8. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    I would go a small SSD for OS/Games/App, and a 1TB for storage. I had raid in the past with raptors to fail me mulitple times (i had 32g and 74g in raid0).

Two 300gb raptors will cost around $440 or more, while a intel X25m g2 160gb is around $475, but will be even faster, for me here the choice is easy, just a matter if 160gb would be enough, and even if you are into raid0, then just go 2x80gb for around $500 will obliterate raptors, pushing the limits of the sata2 specs.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  9. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    Personally my setup is like this.. HDD wise..

Right now i own:

a random (cant remember) 160gb Sata2 disk.. using this for my windows partion and a few programs.

a 1.5TB seagate 7200.11.. used for storing music/movies.. and also my harddisk for Games (dont wanna reinstall my games if reinstall windows :p)

then i used to have 2 36gb raptors.. 1 old 1 new model.. 60mb/s read.. and 90mb/s read..

Used to be raided together till i found out 1 of them held the other back readspeed wise.. today ive taken the old raptor out of the system and is using the 2nd one for experiments .. linux installs etc..

Now.. i bought the 1.5TB disk for storage.. and while 1.5TB may be over the top.. these disk have great read/write speeds.. compared to a 500gb or 1000gb disk.. and a better gb/$ ratio..

Also i started out buying the 1.5TB first.. instead of an SSD .. because an SSD would leave me poor and at the time wasnt big enough for what i wanted to do with an ssd.

Recently with Intel X25-M G2 postville 80gb.. at a quite adforable price.. was only 1.5x the price of my 1.5TB disk.. (i know its a lot pr gb :p but still) .. i decided to switch..

80GB will be enough for my programs, games and windows install.. may not be enough for everyone.. but for me it is..

Basically.. im happy i waited with the SSD decision a bit.. and im happy i decided to go with a 1.5TB (the biggest at the time) for storage.. today.. 4-5 month after its already over half full.. 800gb on it..

And the disk itself has gone down in price :) .. in my upcoming setup ill be striping 3 or 4 1.5TB 7200.11's in a raid 0 .. for storage.. and my 80gb intel x25-m g2 for win7, games and apps.

I use the storage drive alot when i unrar files, and generally handle a lot of files there. So what is gonna be a massive 4TB+ drive .. with raw power.. massive read/write.. and decent seek/IOPS.. is gonna be very nice for the sequential reads/writes ops ill be doing on movies etc.

And my windows and programs.. will still get decent speed.. maybe not 400-500mb/s .. as the raid setup.. but it will have faster access times, trough the roof iops. perfect for lots of random apps loading and reading simultaneous :)

My advice.. get a single 2TB disk now.. buy more 2TB disk in the future or a 80-160GB Intel X25-M G2

Cant go wrong with that... but too many 500gb disk. you'll get less value pr $.. and eventuall you'll run out of sata connectors etc.

10. Lutfi

Lutfi Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870X2 Trifan
    tQ.. but here, in Malaysia, the price for 80GB SSD is still high.. :(

11. chickenRUN

chickenRUN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 7950
    One 300gb raptor for system. One 2TB for storage.

Do not raid 0 on volumes bigger than 1TB or you will have -way- too much data on the thin ice.