1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raid reset error for years

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by tsunami231, Jan 5, 2018.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    not till that last 6 month did i notice the raid port reset issue is tied to my HDD and every time it happen it will stop all thing from loading from hdd for instance swtor and majority of my games is on the hdd and any time this happen game stops loading and crash, and ff profile is on it too so that wont load till it happens till reset i done. , Most the time i dont notice it cause it only notice able when i am actual loading something from the hdd some programs will just hang an crash other will just have abnormal load time till it is reset.

This HDD was doing the same thing with i7 920 system so i already change systems and change ports and cables and ever time it happen it point to port the hdd is connected too. it can go months and i talking 6 + months a single reset then it could do multiple times in day. i orginal thought is was RTS drivers causing it but its not cause i been threw multpile versions on 2 diffrent computers trying to fiqure this out

I am assuming the controler on my HDD might be flaky at this point? smart say nothing out the normal aida showing
    Code:
    ID   Attribute Description   Threshold   Value   Worst   Data   Status
    05   Reallocated Sector Count   36   100   100   28   OK: Value is normal

which it been show the same thing for 4+ years, what are your thoughts?? I been meaning to get Toshiba p300 2tb for while but ever time i seeing on sale for 39$ i windup taking to long to get one

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 Fury X
    Disk could be flaky ... however the controller, its driver, potentially bios, could also be to blame. (especially if you know for a fact this didn't happen in the past -- say on an older OS, bios, etc)

Drivers can make a big difference here, such as in Intel's case. One version might function with "LPM" (Link Power Management) enabled, and another doesn't work right for some specific disk (not just SSD's). If you have RST installed on those machines (I notice that at least one of them is Intel -- the i7 920), you might try installing the RST control panel [if it's not present] and using it to disable LPM (under the performance tab) per each of them. Even with two identical disks of the same brand and make (where one has a problem and the other does not), one might have an earlier firmware than the other.

-The stock Microsoft AHCI driver defaults this off. Windows Update on modern Windows will often auto install the Intel drivers (without the CP), and of course then the power management is defaulted ON.

NOTE: The SSD stutter that people describe is often tied to a "port reset" triggered by power-management misbehaving (where the OS recovers). I've personally had this happen on HDD's too where just shutting off LPM makes the problem go away.

Also with major Windows 10 updates, sometimes the LPM settings get lost and have to be re-set.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it has done on 2 diffrent builds using wide range of drivers and bios, like said it could months and never do other times days, too this day i convienced the drive is being flaky , and link power management isnt one either it never has been, it always been off, i disable power saving options on my pc always have

4. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 Fury X
    In that case, RMA the disk if you can (though I doubt you can). Otherwise I'd say it's time to pitch it being that LPM is off and you've tested multiple machines, cables, etc. It's not unheard of for a disk to have issues like this even if SMART reports no-problem.

-Drive is getting up there in age anyway, sooner or later it's going to fail. Not worth taking the risk especially since it's causing application crashes and hangs already.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the drive is like 7 years old at this point give or take it been doing for about 4, other then this is it runs about as good as it always did, which to say 120MB/S at it peak which is kinda rare. problem is not sure if i want try my luck with Toshiba p300 2 TB or stick with seagate cause i never had drive out right fail other then 1 laptop drive in 25 years i been using them. WD black look nice but pricey and i had multiple WD fail on me.

6. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 Fury X
    Sounds like your situation is the total reverse of mine with WD and Seagate.
    --I suppose it all boils down to luck despite overall statistics in the end (which say that WD is more reliable as a whole). Overall disks are just like lightbulbs in that you can't predict when they're going to fail, and the companies are just within a few percentage points of reliability from eachother. (on 2TB and lower capacity)