Raid question.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Reddoguk, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    Say i have a 2tb HDD WD Black and Windows 10 is installed on that drive.

If i bought an identical 2tb WB Black could i put them in raid without losing the OS and games data?

Or does it have to be formatted first?

2. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    It will have to be formatted, but it can be done. (Its not that bad with windows 10, since it should have raid drivers for your setup already.....if it doesn't then this becomes much trickier) First, clone your existing configuration so you can go back to square 1. Next, open msconfig and check safe boot under boot settings. Reboot, go in to bios and set to raid mode (but DO NOT create an array). Then, reboot to windows. It should load up and see your drives. Next, go back to msconfig and disable safe boot. Reboot again to normal mode, and install intel RST. Reboot once more, then clone your drive again now that we have made all the changes. Then reboot and create your array (either in uefi, or in raid controller....which is usually done by pressing ctrl-I during preboot on intel systems)......this is the part that will wipe your drives and why you need the clone image. Once you have created your array, load the 2nd clone image (the one with the changes) on to your array, and reboot. It should boot. If it doesn't work, then this is going to get a lot more involved, and it might be better just to start fresh from a clean OS install onto the raid array. Remember, if all else fails, you always have first clone image to fall back on.

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I would think it would be a lot easier to buy a SSD and clone to that.

4. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    No doubt

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    I would buy an SSD but i need a lot more space and a 2tb SSD is too expensive for me right now.

So i thought buying a second WD Black and making it a 4tb drive with raid is fast enough for me @ over 100mb/s writes.

Not SSD speeds but adding a second drive in raid would speed it up even more right?

I will eventually get an SSD so i have maybe a 1tb ssd and 4tb of HDD and then i'll probably just wipe it and put the OS and most used games on the SSD.

Thanks for the replies guys anyway. I think for now i'll just use them in normal mode C: D: drives and do a reformat some time soon.

I used to do reformatting every 6 months before on Win 7 but since Win 10 came out i haven't bothered to reformat at all.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    SSD prices are dropping. I just got the Intel 660p NVME 2TB for $179. Even when bottlenecked it does 100MB/s. Plus, with RAID0, if it ever loses sync, goodbye partition.

SATA3 SSD's 2.5" are about $95 for 1TB. I really don't see the argument about the cost of SSD vs HDD.

7. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    95$ i wish, cheapest 1tb ssd is an older type Teamgroup one which is £110 which equals $134.68.

I could buy 2x 2tb HDDs for that money since they are £55 each. Speeds not really an issue for me. 1tb of ssd or 4tb of HDD i'd take the 4tb anyday.

8. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    You may convert your first HDD to "dynamic", install the second and change it to dynamic, too, then create a RAID1 set, if it's about data security. This works on-the-fly without loss of data within Windows.

A Raid0 set is strongly NOT recommended, because if one drive fails, ALL data is lost and cannot be recovered.

I haven't setup a JBOD set yet, but I think (or tend to believe) this should work without reformat, too.

If you have to touch the HW controller / BIOS, then a reinstall is needed.