1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAID is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ST19AG_WGreymon, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    I'm considering making my single hard drive RAID 0, will it be worth it?

If I can get two drives and put the in RAID 0+1, then will it be worth it?

2. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    im going raid tomorrow with 2x30gb ssd drives i will post the benchies for you to help you decide

3. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    I miss my RAID0 =[
    I did notice alot of programs/games loading faster and windows booting alot faster when I had 2x 74GB Raptors in a RAID0. But my older Raptor failed about 2 weeks ago, so I'm back with just one for my OS. And I really see the difference.

And I cant buy another one because my new years resolution to my girlfriend was not to buy any hardware for my rig that isn't "needed". =\\\

I would go for it if I were you. You need at least 2 disk for a RAID0.

4. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    You need at least four HDDs to do RAID 0+1.

5. ST19AG_WGreymon

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Ouch.

Damn.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Just for the love of God do NOT put anything other than the OS on the main hard drives.

Everything else should be saved to another hard drive that you find important.
    Just don't forget Bookmarks and emails and other things too.

Remember if RAID0 fails, it all go's.

That being said, it is nice and fast, and it's good to run, you definitely notice the difference.

7. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    [​IMG]

RAID 0 - 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 7200RPM
    1x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 750GB SATA2 7200RPM

This isnt a completely fair comparison as im sure a single ES.2 750GB drive is quicker than a single 7200.10 320GB drive, but i do notice my system is more responsive than mates' systems with similar specs and individual hard drives.

8. ST19AG_WGreymon

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Would RAID 0+1 be as fast as RAID 0?

9. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    No raid 0 is fastest... raid 0+1 requires more overhead from your cpu if your using onboard raid that is.

10. Anderson_S

Anderson_S New Member

GPU:
    Integrated
    I would say no to raid, just for the fact it increases the chance of fail. But i suppose if you have the resources and time to make good backups then it is an advantage.

11. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    What could be the problems?, I get a lot of powercuts.....how (in a scale of 1 to 10) a raid configuration is suceptible to 1 disk!?......

12. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    no its not worth it imo.

13. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    If your using an Intel RAID controller (and maybe other brands), they are quite robust in that you can take one (or more, i think) of the drives in the array out of your system and attempt to boot, then the RAID BIOS will report a failed RAID 0 array. When the drives are replaced, the RAID BIOS asks if the newly found drives are part of the array, and then repairs the array. I know this works with my 2 disk array, not sure about bigger arrays.

So a similar method could be used if the array was corrupted in the event of a power cut, as long as the corruption was only due to the power being lost, not damage to one or more disks. If one or more disks were to fail, then that would be goodbye to your RAID 0 array

A RAID 0+1 would be your best bet to provide good performance for important data.

14. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    NO RAID 1 is fastest... RAID 1 + 0 is potentially faster still, but at that stage you're better off with RAID 3 or 5.

My advice is always that if you don't know why you want RAID, then you don't need it. If you needed it you wouldn't have to ask.

Still, here is my advice:
    The issue is probably gaming performance, you are wondering how to improve it, and whether putting your hard drives in RAID will affect your gaming.
    In game, it won't. There is the slight chance that in poorly coded games you'll lessen the effect of pop-in by having a faster hard drive, but its unlikely since RAM is usually the limiting factor in that situation.
    The only guaranteed benefit from a RAID array designed for performance will be decreased load times. RAID 0 is not really a good option for this, since it only gives significant performance increases in the best case scenario, where the information being requested is evenly distributed across the drives in the array. It is almost never evenly distributed in real life. RAID 1 is the easiest way to get better load times, since you are always guaranteed to be able to draw from all the drives in the array simultaneously.

Given the speed and size of hard drives thesedays, the only solution I would recommend to a gamer would be 2 x 1TB hard drives in RAID 1. But even that would only make a small difference, because again, RAM tends to have a much greater effect on load times.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  15. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    How exactly is RAID 1 the fastest!? RAID 1 is mirroring, whatever is written on one drive is identically written on the others.

16. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    No..

RAID 0 is the fastest in overall performance because it splits the data up across as many drives as you have in it. So more drives the faster it gets. But if one if the drives fail, the whole array is trashed, and you lose all data on the array.

RAID 1 just mirrors data and if one drive fails, it can keep going as long as there is another drive(s) in the array because the data is mirrored on each drive. So it has data protection, but is in no way as fast as a RAID 0. Which is why most enthusiast and benchers use a RAID 0.

17. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Dude there's no way RAID1 is faster.

Think about it.
    RAID1 is just mirroring, so loading of a single disk, but has the overhead of mirroring to the other disk.

A single drive would be a faster.

RAID5 is great for redundancy, but RAID 10 is faster. (RAID 1 + 0)

RAID0 is good for improving read/write times, you'll notice it more with larger files though. Still a good increase.

It's just too risky because if you loose a hard drive for whatever reason, you loose your data too. So always make sure you have backups, and keep your important stuff on another hard drive with preferably RAID1.

18. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I never planned on Raid 0 when I bought my first Velocirator, but managed to buy a second from a fellow Guru member. Its potentially risky, and expensive too, but if you back up important data then it can be minimised as mentioned by others.

Personally I think raid 1 is of less worth than 0 if you are an ordinary pc user, I think it may border on paranoia. Its of great value however, if you have alot of important data, and you cannot easily replace it.

19. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    To all the whiners above saying that Raid 1 cant be faster than Raid 0 .. needs to learn a few facts about raids..

theres 2 aspects to hdd performance reading and writing. and those change as you go into raid 0,1 etc. lets take a test scenario 2x500gb disks.

Raid 0:
    Double write speed over 1 drive.
    Double read speed over 1 drive.
    Full use of the 1000gb storage.
    Effectively halves the MBF, higher risk of loosing data.

Raid 1:
    Same writespeed as with 1 disk as you will be writing duplicate Data.
    Double read speed over 1 drive, as you can still read different parts from different disks.
    Would only get half the storage capacity.
    Gains some data protection.

To sum it up, the thing most people worries about they get a Raid for performance is for boot times and load times in games etc. and general snappiness of the OS. This relies heavily on reading data from the harddisk.. general OS boot is 90-95% read and 5-10% write. and the average pc hdd usage is 65% read 35% write. and when it comes to gaming unless you're installing games you'd mostly be reading textures/models etc.

The reason people choose raid 0 over raid 1 shouldnt be because of performance (although there is some improvement), it should be because the data is not critical, you can reinstall your games etc if needed. and you dont wanna sacrifice half your capacity for data protection.

20. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Yep, RAID1 will write slower due to overhead, but it will read a little bit faster.