RAID 0 Recovery

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by dk_lightning, Mar 16, 2020.

1. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    So, My RAID 0 Decided to "break" on me.

The drives are fine.

All started after i removed my GPU and sound card to clean up some dust in my case.

PC would not boot after with a VGA error. I checked the GPU was in and same issue.

Reseated the GPU and PC booted.... BUT the bios reset to default due to the failed boots.

Set up all my settings again and booted into windows

RAID gone. Drive shows as 1.8TB still (2x 1tb in raid 0) but as a raw file format.

I have managed to recover the metadata for the raid

Every raid/file recovery tool i can find will let me view the files but wont let me recover anything unless i fork out £100+ and thats not going to happen in my current situation.

I only need to recover just shy of 300GB of data the rest is just games or downloads so do not matter.

Is there any tools out there that can help me?

Can I recover the RAID 0 with the metadata I have?

Cheers

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Check your PM

3. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    Well, crap me.

After a day of trying to recover my data or at least some, I did. But 90% of it was corrupted so I gave up and just opened raidxpert2 and deleted the array and made a new one.......

It was here I saw the fabled option "Keep existing data on drives". I thought.. Nah, cant be.. can it?? *Click*

Windows exporer pops up, New drive D:... 938gb used of 1.81TB.. No??!! WHAT!?!

All my data, games, pics, movies, files ALL there and ALL intatct!

Ok.. pissed at wasting a day on this only find it was that EASY but so bloody happy as well!

Keitosha, AsiJu, chinobino and 3 others like this.
  4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Life lesson learned. :) Now you know for next time.

5. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    Great news but where and how did you get to that ?
    Curious to know never know when I might need it too

Henrik

6. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti

Just install the RAIDXpert2 software (Download from your motherboard website) This is an AMD thing so wont work on intel systems

AsiJu and 386SX like this.
  7. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I never thought this would happen, but you just recovered a Raid0, not recoverable by definition. :D
    *thumbs up* Well done! ;)

8. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    Lesson that should be learned is don't use RAID0 for anything other than data you can afford to lose if it goes sideways.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Back-ups. Make them. Is it too hard to pick up a 8TB on sale and back up one's system?

10. dk_lightning

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    Im not running raid anymore.

I got an external 4tb drive that i store and run all my games from and have used google drive to back up everything I need/want to keep

11. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    My laptop has RAID 0 SSD by default. First thing I did I created an alternative boot partition into the HDD - and checked that it really boots from there!

12. OliverYY

OliverYY Member

GPU:
    Memory size
  13. jarablue

jarablue Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4080 Black
    I have two WD Blue ssds in raid 0. 2 TB worth. I only put games on it. Nothing at all important. So if the raid goes no biggie. I have yet to see a ssd die. But never say never right?

14. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    I had on my SR-2 rig, 12 intel and 8 Samsung 120 and 128 go SSD on my raid controller and I did have a couple of disks that wouldn’t play nice over a six year period but I was overall very happy

15. Hunhow

Hunhow Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1060 6gb
    Of course, there are such instruments. We live in 2022, so everything you wish and dream about can be found or recovered. I had a pretty similar situation, and I can get how frustrating can it be.

16. Hunhow

Hunhow Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1060 6gb
    Of course, there are such instruments. We live in 2022, so everything you wish and dream about can be found or recovered. I had a pretty similar situation, and I can get how frustrating can it be. There are tons of platforms of this kind. However, the best one I found was RAID DATA RECOVERY. They worked pretty fast, even online, and you can also find a lot of useful information online that might be helpful. I'm sure if you try this platform, you won't regret it.

17. Calenhad

Calenhad Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 3080ti Suprim X
    Always nice when all it takes is to refresh the raid boot sector / partition table.

For reference it is possible to recover both Intel and AMD motherboard raid using different platform motherboards and Linux, since they are software based raid setups. You mount the raid disks in Linux using the software raid support to recover the data. I have recovered data from an Intel raid 0 array using an AMD motherboard for example. Of course, this is meaningless if a drive fails. But it can save your bacon (data) if a cpu or motherboard dies.