1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rage

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by mcharj11, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    iirc Darren had posted a few fixes in this thread and they worked for me.

2. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    My 690 runs it ok with no stutters, but Nvidia do need to up there game. I've got so many games that are running like crap at the moment that my system should just chew through.
    I just goes to show that no matter how good your system is we are all still at the mercy of the people that make these drivers.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I finished the DLC.
    Starting a brand new game and playing through John Goodman's camp and into Wellspring.... counting the DLC it only took me five hours.
    So, when you cut out the existing missions you have to play through to even get to the DLC levels, it's really short. I'm glad it was only five bucks.

I love RAGE. Really love it. The player movement and feel, the combat, the visuals... I think it's a great game. And I love the DLC as it gives me more of that... but at the same time, I really didn't like the DLC.
    The majority of the levels have that "been there, done that" feel to them. As they are almost all that mix of sewer/industrial look. They look like mixtures of other camps, bases and locations from RAGE's campaign.
    The last level of the DLC has a completely new look, and it looks awesome. But, it's also sad because it makes you wish the rest of the DLC looked like it.

Also, you don't spend a lot of time fighting the Scortchers. You spend more time in the DLC fighting mutants, and while I had fun fighting them in the main game... here, the way it was done I got really tired of it really quick.
    Add in a really weak final boss... it's not a strong addition to the campaign.

On a positive not, it is more RAGE. And the final mission in the DLC looks amazing.
    Add in the new weapon, which in itself is three weapons. A railgun, nailgun and stakegun. I found myself using the stakegun the most, as it felt like the most effective.
    The nailgun is fun, but it chews through ammo like crazy, and it takes a lot of ammo to drop an enemy.
    And with how RAGE's enemies move around, it's way too easy to miss and waste a ton of ammo.
    The railgun isn't bad, but it feels way too overpowered and kind of meh at the same time. Being able to see and kill enemies through walls makes some areas really easy, but it just doesn't feel "fun" to use. At least to me.

I like how the DLC was woven into the main campaign, but I wish it lasted longer. Stretching farther into the first wasteland... with more varied locations. RAGE thrives in large outdoor areas, it's indoor areas tend to look way too similar, and the majority of this DLC is indoor areas.

So, not bad... but not great. A nice addition to RAGE, but nothing that's going to change anyone's mind on the game.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Tell me bout it, just loaded up DeusEX HR for the first time in ages and it's a stuttery mess, looking for fixes for so many of my games that use to run smooth.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    a very nice review.

Railgun is very balanced. takes too much time to load, and considering especially mutants r agile and making jumpy moves, it is hard to hit them with one shot and long time reload.

i was playing with the hardest difficulty which came with the new DLC but i kept die and switched back to normal.

i normally play with gamepad but enemies r hard to hit and there is simply no aim assist so im prisoned to mouse and keyboard :(

i dont understand VSYNC issue of the game. every time i start the game, it randomly disables VSYNC. sometimes turns it off. sometimes it is on as i left it. odd.

After enabling GPU TRANS. thing for nvidia gpus, my texture popup issues gone.

ANyway, this game is awesome. last year when i prepurchased and played the game i was bored but now i gave it more time and enjoying bigtime :)

6. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Hi guys...I bought Rage + the Scorchers DLC recently and I'm confused of some sort -
    So...I've manage to make some hi-end cfg through "rage-cfg-maker" site, I've manage to run the game fine and with working custom commands and such. But the game itself runs surprisingly fast on my pc with those cfg's + 2560x1440 resolution and 8xMSAA..on my rig??!! Is this ok for this game or something not working right or missing or something?..or on those start locations everyone have good ammount of FPS?..because I just started and reached only my first village aka gaz station...

So, with custom hi-end cfg, 2560x1440 + 8xMSAA, vsync on...I'm having constant 60 fps: after savegame is loaded i've got 35FPS for 1 second then, after loading 16K textures it reaches to 60FPS and stays there...

this is my cfg ---
    echo Do Not Argue - no arguments needed
    echo RAGE - cfg version: 1.3
    echo * TEST - Added forced option to try and fix the black squares/missing textures
    echo * added - Several Player Movement options (run / walk / crouch)
    echo * added - Option to turn off all AimAssist - "g_AimAssist_Disable_All"
    echo * added - Vsync Mode / wglSwapInterval - "r_swapInterval"
    echo * added - Option to turn off blood,splats,sprays and gibs effects - "g_bloodEffects"
    echo * added - Gibs option - "g_reactivateGibsForMover"
    echo * added - Field of View option - "g_fov"
    echo * deleted - Size (in kb) of the temporary streaming buffers - "s_streamBufferSizeK" - can only be set in the launch options
    echo * deleted - Use compressed sound files (mp3/xma) forced to 1 - "s_useCompression" - uncompressed sounds will not work

echo RAGE - cfg version: 1.2
    echo * added - Forced VMTR reload as standart/non changeable value
    echo * added - Sound Settings options
    echo * fixed - Virtual Texture No Preload default to 0 instead of 1 "vt_nopreload"

echo Do Not Argue - no arguments needed
    echo RAGE - cfg version: 1.1
    echo * added - descriptions to the options hover over them to get some info on the settings
    echo * added - several default added cvars to ensure the engine uses all its functions
    echo * added - number of anti-aliasing samples (0= no multi-sampled FBO) r_multiSamples
    echo * added - compression method for generated pages "mt_genCompression"
    echo * fixed - force everything to high quality setting "image_useCompression"

echo RAGE - cfg version: 1.0
    echo initial release

echo console and intro skip active
    com_skipIntroVideo "1"
    echo Render Settings active
    r_sb_imageSize "2048"
    r_useNewPrivateLighting "1"
    r_useHardwareTextures "1"
    r_useSMP "1"
    r_dimShadowHeightTweak "0"
    r_dimShadowForceHighQuality "1"
    r_dimShadowResolution "2048"
    r_noBreakableShadows "0"

echo Game Settings active
    g_showPlayerShadow "1"
    g_fov "90"
    g_reactivateGibsForMover "1"
    g_bloodEffects "1"
    g_AimAssist_Disable_All "1"

echo Virtual Texture Settings active
    vt_nopreload "0"
    vt_minMipLevelInstalled "2"
    vt_uncompressedVmtr "1"
    image_useCompression "0"
    vt_maxPPF "16"
    vt_maxaniso "2"
    image_anisotropy "2"
    vt_minlod "-2"
    vt_lodBias "-1"
    image_lodbias "0"
    vt_vmtrcompression "none"
    mt_genCompression "none"
    vt_qualityDCTChroma "100"
    vt_qualityDCTLuma "100"
    vt_qualityDCTNormal "100"
    vt_qualityDCTPower "100"
    vt_qualityDCTSpecular "100"
    vt_qualityHDPLossless "1"
    vt_qualityHDPDiffuse "0"
    vt_qualityHDPNormal "0"
    vt_qualityHDPPower "0"
    vt_qualityHDPSpecular "0"
    vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "16384"
    vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "16384"
    vt_pageimagesizeunique "16384"
    vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"
    vt_feedbackLodBias "-1"
    r_sb_frustomFOV "92"
    r_swapInterval "1"

echo make sure the engine does not skip any settings
    af_skipAirFriction "0"
    af_skipFriction "0"
    af_skipLimits "0"
    af_skipSelfCollision "0"
    echo Sound Settings active
    s_reverb "1"
    s_occlusionDistance "2048"
    s_maxSamples "8"
    s_maxEmitterChannels "64"
    pm_togglesprint "1"
    pm_sprintspeed "450"
    pm_runspeed "140"
    pm_walkspeed "80"
    pm_crouchspeed "80"
    com_skipDiscSwapStateManager "0"
    com_skipGameRenderView "0"
    com_skipInputRouting "0"
    com_skipIntroVideo "0"
    com_skipSignInManager "0"
    face_skipBlink "0"
    face_skipGestures "0"
    face_skipHead "0"
    face_skipLidDeform "0"
    face_skipLipsync "0"
    face_skipMood "0"
    face_skipProcedural "0"
    g_skipBombTimerFailTarget "0"
    g_skipBreakableParticles "0"
    g_skipCloth "0"
    g_skipFXManager "0"
    g_skipViewEffects "0"
    g_skipWaterSim "0"
    g_weaponSkipSound "0"
    gc_skipFiction "0"
    pm_skipAnimation "0"
    r_skipAugment "0"
    r_skipAutosprites "0"
    r_skipBaseSurfaces "0"
    r_skipBeams "0"
    r_skipBlendedSurfaces "0"
    r_skipBlendLights "0"
    r_skipCloth "0"
    r_skipCommits "0"
    r_skipDecals "0"
    r_skipDetailModels "0"
    r_skipDetailTris "0"
    r_skipDimShadows "0"
    r_skipDistortionSurfaces "0"
    r_skipDynamic "0"
    r_skipDynamicLighting "0"
    r_skipEffects "0"
    r_skipEmissiveGlare "0"
    r_skipFeedback "0"
    r_skipFlares "0"
    r_skipFoliage "0"
    r_skipGeneratedFileCheck "0"
    r_skipGlare "0"
    r_skipGuis "0"
    r_skipLightCPUCulling "0"
    r_skipLightGPUCulling "0"
    r_skipLights "0"
    r_skipMergeMeshes "0"
    r_skipModelCPUCulling "0"
    r_skipModelGPUCulling "0"
    r_skipModelRangeCulling "0"
    r_skipModels "0"
    r_skipNodeCPUCulling "0"
    r_skipNodeGPUCulling "0"
    r_skipOcclusionBaseModel "0"
    r_skipParticles "0"
    r_skipSlowLights "0"
    r_skipStripDeadCode "0"
    r_skipSuppress "0"
    r_skipSurfaceCPUCulling "0"
    r_skipTransparencySort "0"
    r_skipUpdateInView "0"
    r_skipViewParms "0"
    r_skipVmtrs "0"
    r_skipWaterSurfaces "0"
    r_skipWorld "0"
    r_skipZCullReconstruct "0"
    r_multiSamples "8"
    r_shadows "1"
    s_useCompression "1"
    md6_generateDamageTextures "1"
    r_lazyBindParms "0"
    r_lazyBindPrograms "0"
    r_lazyBindTextures "0"

vt_restart
    r_forceVmtrReload "1"

PS. I've never played this game before. Never saw it in action. Heard and watch Carmack's interviews about mega-textures, future of gaming and such while this game was in development years ago...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    @fr33jack
    Honestly man, if your happy with the way it looks and runs then i wouldnt worry about it. Take what you can get when it comes to surprise performance on this platform i say.

Forget about it and just enjoy your new game.

Merry Xmas.:)

8. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    thanks. Merry Xmas 2u2 :)

don't get me wrong, I like the game - it's beautiful and with some kick-ass sweet animation and design. But I'm just thinking...maybe something wrong with config or I did something wrong?..don't want to screw up my impressions from that game while I'm in playthrough - I want to get it right from the start ;)

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Fair enough mate.

Edit: Just remembered that i uninstalled RAGE a couple of days a go, so cant test your config, sorry man.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  10. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @(.)(.)
    no need to sorry about, dude :)

...it just strange - FPS stuck on 60. I was trying to get some activity on screen: running, shooting, 180 degree turns, etc. But it stuck there - 60FPS. Other games have those surges...like 45-55, 55-60, etc. But in this game it stuck on 60 no matter what, kinda...I even reloaded FRAPS several times, because I'm thinking it doesn't work or something... Never happened with me before...60FPS no matter what - wtf?? First thought - something not right, something is broken or I forgot something XD

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Carmack has said the final obstacle holding back RAGE's SDK release has been addressed, and will be handled over the holiday break.

Should be able to expect the SDK some time in January.

12. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    This means modding? i hope so.

im at the Capital Prime or what ever the name of that place. suddenly game crashed last night and stopped there. i think iam close to END.

13. bdub5886

bdub5886 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    If your in Capital Prime then you are at the end. Rather short level. Kinda of a blah ending.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
  15. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I was going to play the dlc but then i found out last time I backup the system up and reinstalled, I didnt backup rage saves..

I have to start all over :bawl::bawl::zap:

16. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I played Rage once and tried playing it a second time but sort of lost interest. I found it to be pretty much a "corridor" game similar to Doom 3 which should be no surprise. I was surprised by this...I thought it would have been more of an open world game given that many games have now been released with that infrastructure. The side missions (racing and the TV show building to get money) were somewhat entertaining but on the whole the game was too scripted for how big it is.

Now that id Software has been sold to Bethesda Softworks, I'm not sure what the future holds. I do hope they don't take the same path that so many other publishers have taken and make everything dumbed-down console ports. These days you have to do research and find the good games to buy if you want anything with an intellectual challenge behind it.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    id wasn't "sold" to Bethesda.
    They allowed themselves to be bought by ZeniMax. Nobody owned id before, they were privately owned.

They chose to allow ZeniMax to purchase them as they were tired of dealing with publishers like Activision and EA. They wanted something with more stability, and a company that wouldn't try to micromanage them.
    ZeniMax allows id to develop at their pace, and how they wish.

I think that was a problem. People went into RAGE expecting an open world game since it was being published by ZeniMax and it featured a couple large areas connecting the various levels.
    And id have said several times RAGE was, in a lot of ways, a test. It was their first time developing a title internally for multiple platforms. And, Carmack stated they learned a lot from it.
    Mostly that the PC will be the lead platform in all future id releases. With the PC build being "worked" over to the consoles.

18. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Thank you for clarifying. I based what I said about ownership on the splash screens that appear when the game launches. I must have ignored the Zenimax reference as that name does not ring a bell. Always good to get the facts straight.

And what you state regarding future development sounds encouraging.

19. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    Game "trailers" visuals V/S real gameplay visuals = Strategic Marketing Plan's'

20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    man I gota cut back on the drugs..................:infinity:

[​IMG]

bclk was set too high and corrupted game files

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.