Rage - Part 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Feb 8, 2013.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ID are bastards.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Why?

Because ZeniMax are sticking their noses into id's development cycle? Or because ZeniMax are putting everything id does out on display for people to know about?

Doom 4 is taking a while to develop. But, it's id Software... it should've been expected. They've never been known for getting a game developed quickly, as as tech has changed and evolved their cycles have taken longer and longer.
    The big difference is that back when Activision was publishing, we didn't hear about internal development problems, or project restarts.

Where as ZeniMax seems to want to put all that stuff on display for everyone to see for some damn reason.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

Whats genius about hallways is that they connect rooms together. They've been doing this for quite some time now, i think i saw something bout it on Discovery channel's Mega Structures - Hallways.

It was quite an interesting doco, think about it, if it werent for the Hallway and only doors connected rooms, then the First Person Shooter would've be even more boring, just room after room... We'd probably be calling it 'Cubicle Shooter syndrome'. I think one of the reasons i hate leaving my room is because i cant stand the site of hallways... Hates probably to strong of a word.

Ha! The more you know.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  4. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Some of most talented guys for Id quit their jobs so now process is even more slowly developing. Not sure why they quit.

5. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Didn't know that. I always regarded hallways as a stage in graphic based game development that would eventually go obsolete. But it appears the format is still being leveraged quite a bit. I think it's at the point where it's becoming too obvious. Playing any game that depends on triggers by funneling the player in specific directions has become so common it is disappointing.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    @StrayKatt

I forgot to add in pm

yes 16384 is bigger then high, leave those two values at 16k if you get hitching then lower all to 8192 and dont use ingame detail textures because it makes some weird side effects with custom cfg., even more streaming then usual - also 1280mb vram is kinda low and causes memory bottlencks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Thank for your help and support TJ!

8. private_joker

private_joker Member

GPU:
    dunno
    Not advertising, but JFYI: $5 on GMG ($4 with voucher GMG20-8MUTY-M21VN), like many other Bethesda titles.

9. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    My game keeps crashing in wellsprings... It says "The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with display. Driver due to exceeding the windows time out limit and is unable to continue." Error code 7... Has anyone seen this before?

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Ok a little update from me, been testing so more yesterday and now I can use a little higher mipmaps and I also enabled Detailed textures and no hickups so far. This will use ~ 1500mb vram.

32bit only mode

Steam\steamapps\common\RAGE\base
    Rageconfig.cfg
    Code:
    //main settings
    seta com_videoRam "1536"
    seta jobs_numThreads "8"

//Virtual Textures
    vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "16384"
    vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "16384"
    vt_pageimagesizeunique "16384"
    vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"     <<<< use this @ 16384 only if you have 2gb or more
    vt_maxaniso "12"
    vt_maxlockedpages "2048"

//virtual textures format
    vt_qualityHDPLossless "1"
    vt_qualityHDPDiffuse "0"
    vt_qualityHDPNormal "0"
    vt_qualityHDPPower "0"
    vt_qualityHDPSpecular "0"
    vt_qualityDCTChroma "100"
    vt_qualityDCTLuma "100"
    vt_qualityDCTNormal "100"
    vt_qualityDCTPower "100"
    vt_qualityDCTSpecular "100"
    vt_uncompressedvmtr "1"
    seta vt_preload "1"
    vt_vmtrcompression "none" //HDP DXT DCT
    mt_genCompression "none"
    vt_minMipLevelInstalled "20"
    vt_nopreload "0"

//cuda settings
    vt_cudaRLE "1"
    vt_maxPPF "256"
    vt_cudaBudget "10"
    vt_usecudatranscode "2"

//Render
    r_gamma "0.90"
    g_fov 95
    //vt_minlod "-1"
    //vt_lodBias "-1"
    //image_lodbias "-1"
    r_sb_imageSize "2048"
    r_useNewPrivateLighting "1"
    r_useHardwareTextures "1"
    r_useSMP "1"
    r_dimShadowHeightTweak "0"
    r_dimShadowForceHighQuality "1"
    r_dimShadowResolution "2048"
    r_noBreakableShadows "0
    //g_reactivateGibsForMover "1"

//Image
    image_anisotropy "12"
    seta image_preload "1"
    image_blend "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
    image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
    image_useCompression "0"
    In driver
    [​IMG]
    [Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/Eslq7nG.png)

In game (small cache is because I used most @16k and it doesnt show correctly)
    [​IMG]
    [Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/qs6CrKj.jpg)

Quick screen

[​IMG]
    [Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/urVbdxQ.jpg)

[​IMG]
    [Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/Za5pBUv.jpg)

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Nice job there -Tj-:thumbup:

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Is there any way to increase the FPS or is it locked? When I originally played this, I was on a 60Hz monitor. Now that I'm on a 144Hz monitor, the screen tearing annoying as fu*k.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Hm i think its capped to 60fps. There should be one value called Tick Rate, but idk does it work or not..

You can try to add this line in Rageconfig.cfg,

seta com_fixedTic "-1"

btw if it works it will only by 32bit mode.

Taken from Doom3

com_fixedTic [-1,0,1] - If set to 0 (the default) Doom 3's ticrate is capped at 60FPS, meaning the game framerate cannot exceed this, except when running a timedemo. If you want to remove this cap, set com_fixedTic to -1. Setting it to 1 removes the cap, but causes the game physics to go out of sync. Removing the FPS cap doesn't necessarily improve performance, and can lead to more variable framerates. Note that com_fixedTic -1 doesn't work as of the latest patch.

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    nvm, looks the same once ye get into it. oh well.

Edit: and if you right click on the game in steam games list, it says "play Rage 64bit with mods (unsupported)".:3eyes:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  15. ALPINEST4RS

ALPINEST4RS Member Guru

GPU:
    Gbyte 7970 GHZ 3GB
    Is this even worth trying with a AMD card?

16. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Super thread bump...

Just finished this game after finishing Wolf New Order and Far Cry 3 and I can honestly say I enjoyed it more than both of those games. Ending was a bit underwhelming but the game mechanics and shooting felt very satisfying and it was just long enough. I'd actually like to see a remaster of this with the original uncompressed megatextures. The game world itself is beautiful.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    The uncompressed texture data is sized at around 1 TB if I remember that right, one of the reasons they opted for sharpening via patch instead of adding in more detailed textures as the file size increase wouldn't have been worth the small quality improvement.
    (Say if you double texture quality then the bigger objects become a bit more detailed but clutter and such would still be pretty low-res for a 4x or so increase in file size since those objects are a barely recognizable blurry mess by default.)

DOOM(4) with newer console systems (Blu-ray for storage for one thing.) and other improvements did allow for improving texture detail although as a result the game is some 12 GB and then an additional 30-some GB of just texture data.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah. Carmack said at one point that the uncompressed texture data was over 1TB in size.
    And the way idTech5 was designed, and how it uses MegaTextures, it wasn't possible to add in higher resolution textures.

Though, the sharpening/detail option they added in did help improve the look of the textures a lot.

But, yes millibyte, I love RAGE.
    The game world is beautiful and fun to explore. The driving is solid and car combat... while not amazing is pretty solid.
    But, the player movement, that sense of weight... and then the heft and force of the combat. It's awesome.
    And then the gorgeous animations. I'm glad that id tweaks animations by hand. They may use motion capture, but they always go back over to to manipulate the movements and make them a bit "more" dramatic.

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I don't believe the textures were done as well as they could have been in RAGE. If what they claim is fact, then basically all current and future games would have to be much larger than what they actually are. It's not as if they had a huge amount of audio data to store either, like is required with games like GTA V and Mafia III.

The game graphics wise wasn't overly complex, the 64-bit version did appear and play much better, although that could simply be because the graphics settings were higher. It's almost as if they had a separate texture (even if it was nearly identical) for each surface, rather than cleverly reusing a texture or combination of textures where fewer textures are required thus they can be of higher quality. Don't forget the same texture can look very different on different surfaces due to meshes and lighting etc.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    They did.

That's what MegaTexture is. Instead of having a single texture, reused over and over to cover larger areas. The engine uses single, massively sized textures to cover larger areas.
    And even smaller areas made use of the feature, using single textures to cover walls, floors and other areas.
    This way you would never see the same texture reused, or how in some games you can see a pattern when textures are set edge to edge.

And, all future idTech5 titles did get larger and larger install sizes. RAGE is the smallest idTech5 game released.