Rage for Crysis

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Australis, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    :puke2: Crysis is so demanding on hardware that I must tune the resolution down to 800 x 600 to get merely playable frames. On 1024 x 768. the game froze which forced me to restart Windows.

I don't think the graphics on 800 x 600 medium settings is gorgeous so what causes the lagging must be the "Physics" thing. A few hours before I started playing Crysis, I finished Call of Duty 4 Modern Warefare with everything maxed out on 1280 x 1024, 4AA enabled. So it is quite a framerate and visual quality dive as I switched games.

Sometimes, I really don't care about trees falling in realism. They do not add much to the gameplay except impressing me once or twice. Then I found them annoying for blocking the road, thus busting my vehicle. These physics inflicts heavy penalty on framerates which I hope can be disabled for Christ's sake.

Beautiful graphics and smooth framerates constructs a believable world and some trees should not stand in the way! Watching those trees falling like in the real world in 800 x 600 medium is nothing great, isn't it?

For now even the 8800 Ultra struggles with Crysis. I am quite disappointed by the current GF9 line-up because they are still 8800 inside out. I am not buying a new graphics card until they can make technological breakthroughs like from 6800 Ultra to 7800 GTX.

Some rumours say Crysis may be coming to Xbox 360 and PS3. If new content is added, I may give it a rental but I hope not it will fry my 360 when processing those trees!:biggun:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Crysis ain't so bad. Just gotta have the hardware to play it. Sure, we don't see the 60+ fps that we all were used to...but Crysis has a way of feeling smooth at around half that frame rate.

3. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    huh my card runs it smooth as silk :smoke:

4. Gucci

Gucci Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti
    Well i just finished trying it with the new 1.2 Patch and by god i can run it veryhigh no aa or af @1024x768 and get playable fps...

Pretty cool i think...

5. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    A lot of people moan about the game but at the end of the day it's not the game, it's their rigs.

6. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    My rig plays it. all max 2xaa over 30 frames :p i happy

7. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    i dont rly like the multiplayer.. but with new patch im hoping it improved

8. Curtimus

Curtimus Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD4870 790/4400
    Going from x1950xt to 8800gt is a pretty decent step up. Your x2 3800 is holding you back some.
    I know constant upgrading sux , but Crysis has pushed the limit for graphical expectations so just know that you'll reap the benefits from it down the road!

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well I was disappointed about that move because it was nothing like jump from GeForce FX to GeForce 6.

10. *Rogue*

*Rogue* Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 OC 216
    Runs quite nicely for me :)

11. i_am_vince

i_am_vince Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800Gts 320 OC (factory clocked
    come on, be fair. CoD4 is a good game and it produce good frame rate with lesser system. but crysis never boast it can play well with anything older than 1 yo system. read the spec clearly. yours is rather well below the rec. spec (x2 3800? 1gb ddr 400???). so if you expect to play with 1280 x 1024, 4AA is rather your fault than the dev for hoping miracle would happen for you.
    it's like you are insisting on participating a grandprix racing with a VW golf, but when you race to disappointment, you blame the grandprix organiser for making too hard.
    if you are upgrading from NV 7 series or ati x1xxx, there is really not an issue if 9600/9800 is actually 8800+, because 8800 is a powerful product eventhough it has been around more than a year now. it handles anygame you throw at including crysis (provided you dont go too high with resolution and AA)
    but i think your case, look into your overall spec..... even a NV '10800' can't do miracle with that spec.

12. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080TI/1080TI/VEGA
    My pow

I think the 3800 X2 is holding your performance and 1 GB ddr (not even ddr2) is slow and not enough for a decent new game. you need at least 2 GB ddr2 and ofc a decent cpu. so basicaly the vidcard and the cpu and the memory is holding you back. You are trying to play a very demanding recent game with older hardware ... simple ... it just don't work as expected. read the recommended sys req for crysis ... or just look around for other specs that play it.

13. orion24

orion24 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    This wasn't even a breakthrough; just added some shader processors. Only thing spectacular was that it moved from IBM fabs to TSMC.

14. quadroplex780

quadroplex780 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 8800GTS 640 eXtreme SLi
    Why was crysis made

I think crysis wasn't made to run on current gen hardware at veryhigh on HD resolutions but when I first saw Crysis on a HDTV being showed off at some show(probably E3)the Crytek official said that it was being run on a core 2 duo 2.66Ghz(e6700 was not mentioned neither e6750)and a GeForce 8800 series of graphics(it wasn't mentioned whether it was ultra,gtx or the GTS).The game was running very smooth but there were brief pauses,anyways the resolution wasn't mentioned or asked for but it was mentioned that they were running at ultra settings(yes the official said that the settings were ultra and not very high).The main thing I had noticed in the earlier crysis videos that the vegitation was very charming and beautiful(the different level mods come close to this)and very much reactive.
    Then I saw the video of the first palyable level given to gamespot and I noticed very pale vegetation(not that I am saying that cryengine 2 isn't capable of very realistic veg),low resolution and AA and also slow performance compared to what I had seen earlier.
    When the demo came out I had a very bad impression as the demo performed very poorly on my 8800gts(G80) at 1024x768 veryhigh vista x86,but then I switched from vista x86 to x64 and dx9 mode for the demo and got very good performance(dx10 mode froze the demo)I was satisfied but not happy.So I got another G80 GTS and SLIed still poor performance on dx10 and slowdowns due to possible memory leaks while adding AA and changing res.The dx9 performance improved very drastically.And with the 1.1 patch I got an increase of over 4FPS in island bench at 1280x960 high.
    It was also mentioned by some other crytek official that guys with an 8800gts and C2D 2.4Ghz will be able to run it at ultra settings and at HD.I have one c2d oced to 3Ghz and the other to 3.3Ghz yet none of them performed good with crysis.
    My brother has an 8800gt which though performs not as good as the 8800Gts(G80) SLI but yet feels much more responsive and soomth in crysis than G80 gts.
    I only think that crysis was made to show current gen people what they can expect in future though some lies were told(about its performance).
    Well we all can expect huge improvements in performance with future gen cards(I don't think same is the case with geforce 9 series but I think performance wasn't lifted due to lack of more multithreaded gaming apps/or no huge performance leaps with the new gen of processors eg.qx9650).

15. Australis

Australis Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    I am a hundread and ten percent sure that my PC isn't all that powerful anymore. What about an upgrade? I also like it but not now. At least I should wait for the new PCI-E 2.0 mainboards and Intel Nehalem processors seem to have a lot of juice.
    Within the time gap, the Xbox 360 will be my best comrade. Guaranteed speed is very nice about console games.
    Although my system (especially the RAM which I cannot get rid of until a thorough upgrade to an Intel CPU and a compatible mainboard) is mediocre, it was able to run newer games like Rainbow Six Vegas on high settings 4xAA on 1280x1024. Aforementioned, Call of Duty 4 MW runs flawlessly too. So the physics thing is to blame besides my rig. Worth mentioning, my PC also plays a slideshow running GRAW (PC). Lucky I only borrowed it from a friend because my system ran poorly and I didn't like the sheer difficulty.

16. Arronaldo8

Arronaldo8 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 280 1GB
    My pc runs crysis and ive got the worst procceser goin =S but i do have ddr2 memory and a grdd gpu

17. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Its ok to say that some you guys run crysis on high or max settings yet none of you guys mention at what resolution you are running it at. With my specs and vista 64 at 1900 x 1200 all medium settings for me for it to be a bit smooth.

18. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    i fell sorry for that 8800gt running with a Intel celeron D 3.46ghz

:)

19. Arronaldo8

Arronaldo8 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 280 1GB
    Loll i feal sorry for it to lol! i got a C2D on order so won be long:)

I play mine on 1280 x 800!

20. easy2007

easy2007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    I play Crysis @1280x1024 everything on high 35-40fps. lows of 22/23 fps highs of 55-60fps.