1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Kind of what I was thinking.

Yeah, a lot of the advertising is showing off the flashy colors to draw attention to the game.
    But, in the gameplay videos... the world itself is your standard, browns, greens... earth tones. Desolate, apocalypse world stuff.

The pinks, blues and purples come up in the bandits. How they paint their bases, weapons, vehicles... themselves. To mark their stuff.
    And then, the players nanotrie abilities, specifically Overdrive amplifies the color of the world as all the players senses and abilities are... ampped up.

In the gameplay videos, the color doesn't look obnoxious, distracting or obtrusive. Because it's used within the world it's set in. used with the bandits, their camps. Marking their territory to let others know.

Undying likes this.
  2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 4GB Windforce

same footage or no?

3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Same footage.
    The end is slightly different, as it teases the Authority.

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Is the shooting mechanics a bit without recoil or oumph or am i mistaken, i guess the rifles are too arcadey to shoot A LA COD, gameplay reminds me a lot of bulletstorm :p, my only hope is, please, no megatextures and textures pop in edits and astuff, hopefully the engine is good enough not to have bugs

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    MegaTexture was a feature of idTech5.

And, as has been said already... RAGE 2 is not using idTech. It's running on Avalanche's APEX Engine.
    And, even so, idTech6 and 7... don't use MegaTextures. They use something similar, but it's more in line with how texture streaming is handled in other engines like CryEngine or Unreal.

Hell, MegaTexures only actually appeared in RAGE and Wolf:TNO and TOB. And in TOB it was changed.
    They didn't feature at all in The Evil Within even though it used idTech5. Because MegaTextures can only use pre-baked light maps. And TEW uses fully dynamic lighting.

Undying likes this.
  6. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Megatextures was a good idea and was ahead of its time. We might see it again in 10 to 20 years.

ramthegamer likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    It takes incredible mind of John Carmack to create something like that. Industry dont have alot of those.

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
  9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Don't need to wait that long. Megatextures (aka virtual texturing) was used in Doom 2016, Wolfenstein TNC, and will also be used in the upcoming Doom Eternal. Virtual texturing is a core technology of the IdTech engines since IdTech 5, and they've only continued to improve upon it over the years. With IdTech 6 and Doom 2016, megatexture technology was dramatically improved over it's initial use in the original Rage, which had major texture pop in issues and also the textures would not accept dynamic effects. Doom 2016 brought back dynamic lighting and shadows, and also dramatically reduced texture pop in. Some texture pop in was apparent when the game first launched, but with the Vulkan updates, the engine is far better at streaming and predicting the texture tiles needed so as to almost completely mitigate texture pop in.

Shataan likes this.
  10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yes, it's called Virtual Textures now because it's not the same as MegaTexturing was in RAGE.

The MegaTexures used in RAGE only worked with pre-baked lightmaps. idTech6 and 7 uses fully dynamic lighting, and as such they were required to change that aspect of the engine.
    As I said, the newer versions of idTech don't use "Megatexture" any more because they've updated and changed that tech, renamed it and modified how it works.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Oh man, if the game can deliver that sort of gameplay I am totally hooked.

Didn't realise this was using the APEX engine, thought it was using IDTECH6 or 7. I was quite hoping it would be on the IDTECH engine as that engine is simply outstanding for excellent balance between graphical IQ and most all stupidly high performance thanks to excellent coding and of course Vulkun.

But, if they can pull off a game to runs over 100fps with the gameplay in that trailer with those kind of graphics I am super duper hyped.

But now knowing its not on IDTECH engine I am slightly worried.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I wouldn't worry.

RAGE 2 is being developed by the Avalanche team that developed Mad Max. And that was a fantastic PC release.

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Megatextures was just a marketing term that Id used to refer to their form of sparse virtual texturing, or SVT. I guess with the negative publicity the term provoked due to the Rage texture pop in issues (especially on consoles), they are now referring to it as virtual texturing. The underlying technology and concept is still really no different, though it has obviously been significantly improved with IdTech 6 and IdTech 7.

15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Any news about the animations being ironed out of the final release? Still doesn t look smooth

16. Shataan

Shataan Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 FTW3Ultra
    So, this doesn`t remind me at all of Rage tbh. Looks more like a Mad Max meets Duke Nukem sorta thing. Altho I did recognise the wing stick at least. hehhhe And the Ark and driving stuff. I guess it can be Rage, on steroids. ;p Think I`ll wait for DOOM Eternal.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Will probably get it, just not too enamored by hectic OTT gameplay with tons of dumb enemies that require your trigger finger to be endlessly busy. Much prefer fewer, better AI that can hide well, outflank you and throw witty quips at you. Wasnt Avalanche behind Just Cause 3 as well? Because thats the exact sort of crap which I facepalm at. Anything that requires major dumbing down of the player where anything goes just not my thing.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Trio
    I think the APEX engine can deliver...when it's in the right hands. Looking at the monumental piece of crap that is JC4 I understand why you're worried, I don't think I've played a shittier game ever. But hopefully it's another bunch of people working on RAGE 2.

cerebus23 likes this.
  19. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I gave up waiting for it to be on Steam and pre-ordered on Bethesda.net. If it comes to Steam at release, I'll just refund.

Sadly I don't think Bethesda.net has achievements or cloud saves.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    See, I have played JC4 and didn't find it that bad to be honest. I mean overall its just a "meh?" kind of game, it gets boring really fast. But the performance was great and it looked pretty damn good in a lot of areas. Not a patch on JC3 and nowhere near as good as JC2 was.

If this IS being handled by the devs that brought us Mad Max on PC then my hopes are somewhat restored. However, people need to remember that Mad Max's game world was pretty damn empty to say something like Fallout 4 (another open world game) so optimising probably wasn't that hard. But they could of just increased the graphics quality tenfold on PC and given us a 40fps game on high end rigs but the team seem to understand that PC gamers want high fps and instead they gave us a slight visual increase over consoles and delivered to us a 100+fps game with even modest hardware.

I hate it when devs just increase the IQ of games on PC... "just because its the PC version".... like they increase shadow map resolution to like 8K for a sharper image when in reality you can't really tell the difference between 2K and 8K when you are actually playing a game.

I mean, take Doom 2016 for example. They could of just ramped up the IQ to insane levels on PC and said "its true ULTRA graphics, no PC right now can handle it". But instead they focused on performance, if you actually stop "playing" Doom 2016 and really look at the environments they are actually not that great looking. But in motion they are perfectly passable.

Look at the Division 2 demo, that thing runs butter smooth. They actually listened to the players, go back and look at Division 1 release and running that at max settings was a joke and all you got was the smallest IQ bump as you couldn't tell the difference between high and ultra.

Rant over, sorry lol :p