Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    A big thing, is the game started as a Mad Max sequel. So, it was initially a serious, darker game.
    But... then, was morphed into a sequel to RAGE... which did have it's share of Mad Max elements. But, the tone is drastically different. So, in trying to inject the game with the more over the top tone they were going for with RAGE 2... it didn't fully meld.
    If the game had been built from the ground up as a RAGE sequel, I feel it would've meshed better.

But, in the end, I really like the game. The combat is fantastic, and while some may hate it... I actually like the almost dead feel of the world.
    I think, much like Mad Max, that works better for the setting.

Kolt likes this.
  2. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I think the part that didn t let me enjoy this game that much is:
    1-graphics awful, taa makes it worse.
    2-character movement,feel, no weight, wish it felt like wolfenstein coz i got so used to the feel of the weapons on that game.
    3-that barren environment of the game
    4-i enjoyed rage 1 way more

3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Use sharpening filter... TAA blur gone. That's all DOOM 2016 did, was include a sharpening filter.
    RAGE 2 now has one as part of the graphics options... so... yay.

And, player movement, combat are the high point of the game.

4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I didn't like that they went and tried to add in a lot of "humour". Look, I get that the original RAGE wasn't 100% serious all the time, but it also didn't feel like it's a step away from the rather obnoxious Borderlands 2 meme humour. Sure, the end result is nowhere as infuriating as New Collosus (which made the game absolutely confusing tone-wise), or more recently Youngblood (which's "humour" can go die in a ditch), but I would have appreciated it more if it was a bit "rarer" to come across. In the og RAGE, I thought that the game's more lighthearted elements came from the artstyle of the characters, which were slightly cartoony, but grounded, and some of their more wacky personalities (not every character was a walking joke, and those that were, weren't turned to 11).

Shooting in RAGE 2 is fun, though. The car controls are rather stiff (I hoped that the cars would be a lot better than in RAGE 1, seeing how I liked the car combat in Mad Max). I'd still replay this game 10x, rather than ever touching Youngblood.

Kolt and angelgraves13 like this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I personally don't find the lack of interesting characters or better writing / story that bothersome.
    This is clearly meant to be B-movie schlock type set dressing or Saturday morning cartoons at best.

Also the somewhat barren open world fits the setting (a bustling metropolis wouldn't fit the barren wasteland post-apocalypse theme) and I for one find it refreshing that for a change an open world is just that, an open playground without map markers, objectives, quests and NPCs coming out of the woodwork all the time.

RAGE 2 is no different to RAGE in this regard and it works just as well. Both games are kind of middleground between linear and open world gameplay and I think it works in both games.

6. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Except it doesn't work here. Comedy is more difficult to pull off than horror. Horror b-movies are great. I can't think of a single good comedy b-movie.

Kolt and emperorsfist like this.
  7. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    That's actually correct. Most writers will tell you that writing a good comedy is way harder than writing a good drama. You can laugh at a bad horror movie, or at an inept drama (though more often than not they end up boring, rather than funny), but a bad comedy is the just a facepalm/cinge fest. Now, RAGE 2 isn't on the level of Borderlands 2 or Youngblood (nowhere near Youngblood), but you can see that it lacks restraint. If the humor didn't try to go over the top all the time, and was a bit more grounded, you could still pull off a charming, fun shooting romp. It was mentioned here that the game can feel "corporate" at times, which I believe suits the chosen form of comedy. It never goes full obnoxious, but you can see that the form was chosen because it was identified as "popular" on some chart.

I still look forward to the next area dlc. Skins and other MTXs can be damned, however.

Kolt likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    To each his own, I don't care if attempts at humour are unsuccesful if the game is fun to play.
    The game has its fair share of cringeworthy moments yes but that doesn't detract from the core gameplay experience (and perhaps even that cringe is by design).

I didn't really expect anything from the writing / characters, just as I don't expect demons in Doom to throw in smart social commentary every now and then.

For that, there are different games.

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Next RAGE 2 expansion has been announced.

RAGE 2: TerroMania

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Undying likes this.
  10. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Ok...weird.

11. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    That's... an odd way to expand RAGE. The undead and magic don't really fit...

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    To be honest this looks more interesting then rage 2.

Witcher29 likes this.
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yeah pretty weird, starting to look like Far Cry 5 DLC *cough*

Guess it's Halloween themed then.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    The screenshots made me think of Sea of Thieves for some reason.....

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

16. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb