Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Depends on what you want or expect from the open world.
    Sounds like you are wanting a more in depth, RPG type open world... were your actions have actual impact on the world.

RAGE 2 is all about it's combat, it's why future updates will bring in bandits retaking outposts, and increasing difficulty so you can continue to fight.

blitz72 likes this.
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I find myself constantly wanting to load this game up so it definitely has that "one more go" appeal and addictive factor.

However, while the game itself is very derivative - one third Avalanche's own Mad Max game (the post-apocalyptic desert setting), one third Far Cry (the open world map and mission design) and the rest DOOM 2016 (the first-person combat) - it is nevertheless a lot of fun to explore and play, thanks mainly to the awesome combat which adds enough power ups and weapons to make every battle entertaining. It just never seems to get old for me.

Shame the rest of the game isn't quite up to scratch though. Visually the game is fine but rarely impressive, voice-overs are cheesy but okay and the music is fine. Vehicle driving is also solid although once you get the helicopter-type vehicle then there's little reason to use the main combat vehicle (and you can finally get away from that annoying voice that utters the same five things over and over again!). However, the package is marred by lots of bugs and glitches. Physics are wonky - debris can often be seen floating in mid-air - and NPC voices often disappear altogether during cutscenes. I've even encountered issues with the car engine sound not cutting out after a race until I entered the menu and exited it.There's also some ugly geometry clipping noticeable while travelling through tunnels (I can see missing triangles filling in). Worst are the mission bugs such as one where I was unable to interact with the NPC in order to advance the mission until I saved the game, exited it then resumed the mission. This happened twice with the same character too (thankfully, this has been acknowledged by the developers and will be fixed in the forthcoming patch). Finally, the menus are a mixed bag, laggy to access and poorly laid out. Why does it never remember the last section I accessed? Why are there no shortcuts to recall a vehicle instead of having to navigate to them via the menu? Why can I only create items such as health packs and grenades one at a time instead of all at once? This game really could do with some serious polishing up IMO.

For me, this is one of those fun 7 out of 10 games; you know that ones that don't excel in any particular area but offer enough content and addictive gameplay to keep you enjoying it in spite of its issues. If you're on the fence then I would definitely wait until the game has been patched (disappointingly the game has had no patches since release except the one to remove Denuvo) and it is absolutely worth buying in a sale if you like this genre.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm holding off on revisiting it until the update is out.
    Making outposts refill with enemies and some fixes... will be great.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @Darren Hodgson The game clearly needs a patch which I think they talked about releasing as a Day 30 patch but on the other hand...some of these things, like the audio, should have been priority.

On the other hand, that's what people hated about FarCry 2 ;) I think it's fine as it is but that the game could use a New Game+ or something?

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    True.

Everyone's first impressions of this game will be based on the current build of the game which is unpolished and buggy. While I can accept and forgive the audio for an NPC cutting out once, it has happened far too often for me to overlook it. The same for the other bugs such as floating debris and one quest breaking TWICE forcing me to have to reload the game. I also forgot to mention that the game froze on me three times too while saving, though thankfully I did not lose any progress (I always save to the next of the 12 save slots each time anyway). These issues have happened for me far too often to be just 'rare' bugs so I can only surmise that the publisher decided to just go ahead and release the game anyway rather than delay it to fix them.

Don't get me wrong, the game is definitely not broken or anything, it's just very rough and glitchy for a major triple-A release. The game really needed another month or two of polishing before release but now we paying customers have to play the waiting game for the patch or patches that will address these issues. I would imagine that for many the patch will come too late anyway as people like myself will already have played well into the game if not finished it already.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I *hated* Far Cry 2 for it's ridiculous respawning of enemies and much prefer RAGE 2's approach as it gives a proper sense of progression, which is rare in open-world games where enemies for side-quests do typically tend to respawn just so you have always got something to do.

cerebus23, Netherwind and AsiJu like this.
  7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    No.
    People hated it about FC2 because you could drive five seconds away from the checkpoint, turn around and go back... and all the enemies had respawned. And you could do this over and over and over.
    The enemies were set to respawn once you were so far away from the checkpoint.

With RAGE 2, they are talking about making it so that after a certain amount of time, enemies will repopulate the outposts, and there will be more, and more difficult enemies.

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I completely agree.

I guess it's a different point of view since I'd prefer to feel a sense of completion instead of a never ending map.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Far Cry 2 is stilll better than any shooter ive played in the last decade ive not felt as much a part of a world as that since. think im wrong? fight me!!!

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I disagree with you, but I can't tell you you are wrong. If that's how you feel, that's fine.
    I liked some of the combat in FC2, I just hated everything else.

As with RAGE 2, I'm curious to see how they will implement the "restocking" of outposts. If it will be an option players can pick, if it will just happen... how long after you clear an outpost, stuff like that.

11. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Guess it depends on what you want out of a shooter... but I could never get into that game because I thought it had horrible feeling gunplay. Shooting never felt good for me. So I hated it :p

That said, Rage 2 has some of the BEST feeling combat I've experienced in a shooter. Up there with Doom and Destiny 2. Shame about the quality of everything else... but the gameplay alone made me want to clear just about everything on the map. As vapid as it was, it was nice mindless entertainment.

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I do agree with you on the sense of being part of the world, but farcry 3 have managed that aswell, i guess the best farcry games are those 2 and add to them the first one

13. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Gameplay is indeed fun if u overlook how bland and outdated the graphics are in this game...it s just a shame it can t be a complete experience

14. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    How to put sprint to toggle?

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Assign a key to Sprint Toggle instead of Sprint Hold (or both).

16. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Thanks!

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Today is 30 days since release, so, I guess we'll see when Steam does it's daily update.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Any patch notes or general info yet?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  20. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU: