1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Looks like id tech 6.5 to me.

Still not up on Steam for pre-order. Probably around E3 then.

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    The debate as to what engine the game will be using is over. It's using the Apex, Avalanche's open world game engine, per one of the game's developers.

I just hope it supports DX12 or Vulkan, and not DX11.

Twitter feed

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Can't say I understand that choice of engine when they have the excellent idTech6 which proves to run on absolutely amazing on every type of hardware.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, if I remember
    From Bethesda's website...
    Seems it's id's FPS design, and Avalanche's open-world design. And probably a mix of both companies efforts in vehicle combat, and possibly engine tech. While using Avalance's Apex engine, I'm sure id have supplied a decent amount of support and tweaks to the tech.

Stone Gargoyle likes this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix Gaming
    The vehicle part looked cool.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    It's because IdTech isn't suited for truly open world games. It can do limited open world, but not fully open world. As I told Damien on the previous page, the trend towards seamless open world games has been happening over the past few years. If they released it on IdTech 6.5 and lost total seamlessness as a result, a lot of people would be unhappy and complain.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix Gaming
    What is it that holds back IdTech from being able to do seamless open world traversal?

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I don't know specifically, but from what Tiago Sousa said, it seems the engine was purely designed for games like Doom, ie linear, story based shooters. Seamless open worlds are another matter entirely.

To do proper open world seamlessness, an engine has to be designed specifically for that, and IdTech in its current iteration isn't.

9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Apex Engine - Avalanche

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Oh man think of the download size of such a game and be grateful :p

11. Nosein

Nosein Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Gun models look like something from an asset flip game, all the gpu performance looks like its all been spent on that over use of the DOF Bokeh, textures are still rubbish, no AO, empty and last gen looking LOD and visuals (they seem to be banking on using florescent colors to give he game some visual flare like BF4 and the neon lights in the city maps) and going by the car customizing that they showed, there will be a ton of boring but mandatory vehicle based gear collecting and race missions,

I don't understand why they chose to keep the worst aspect of rage (besides the story and textures) - the vehicle portion.

Im off to download RAGE 1.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Well, in that case it was a good choice. I read that using the Frostbite engine for ME:Andromeda proved to be a huge mistake since that engine wasn't suited for worlds like those in ME. Finally they had to rewrite most of the engine to make it work for Andromeda.

13. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Twn Frozr IV GTX 1070
    You can tell all this from a 2 minute trailer? I have to say, they're really overdoing the motion blur. Perhaps it's an artistic choice, specifically for the trailer? Guess we'll see its true form when they show it off at E3.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+
    Well unless Bethesda/Avalanche/id turn anti-PC all of a sudden I'm sure there will be a toggle in graphics settings for motion blur.

And yeah, what can you really tell from an early production trailer? Video compression alone loses all detail (that there might be).
    Not to mention this, if any game, is suppposed to be fun to play. Some missing effect or low(er) res texture here or there is, well... neither here nor there :)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Trailers like that also have additional filters applied to them, that increase motion blur and other effects for cinematic purpose.
    But, both id and Avalanche are PC focused developers, and the last main titles from both studios (DOOM, Mad Max) show a strong love for PC with plenty of graphical options, and wonderfully optimized and coded PC releases. (Just Cause 3 was released by Avalanche's new, second studio... so... birthing pains ended with a rough release)

But, even using the Apex Engine from Avalanche, I'm sure it's safe to say that Tiago and the guys from id have added to and helped Avalanche with the Apex Engine in various ways. It would be foolish for Avalanche to not allow id access to the engine, and or be willing to allow them to help improve the tech.
    Specially since id are handling the FPS design and gameplay. Much like how id helped Bethesda improve the FPS gameplay in Fallout 4, but, in a much stronger showing here since RAGE is actually an id property.

16. angelgraves13

GPU:
    eVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Well it definitely looks like id worked on the engine somewhat. I wouldn’t be surprised if they added id tech 6 to apex. I also wouldn’t be surprised to hear that they’re buying Avalanche in a few months. They could probably add their tech into id tech 7.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    ZeniMax is always looking for talented studios, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were interested in Avalanche. But, I thought Avalanche was already a subsidiary.

EDIT: Okay, it seems the studio is actually Fatalist Development AB doing business as Avalanche.

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    So we talking about OpenGL?Vulkan?DX11/12?

19. angelgraves13

GPU:
    eVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I think Vulkan will be the main API.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Mad Max used DX11.
    Avalanche did release a Vulkan update for the title, but it's exclusive to Linux.

Just Cause 3 is also DX11, I believe they were going to release a DX12 patch... but not sure if they ever did.

In the long run this doesn't mean anything, they could've updated the engine. And with id's Tiago really pushing Vulkan support pretty hard. And Bethesda commented some time back that all future titles from them would use Vulkan. It's hard telling.
    But, until someone says anything specific... it's an unknown.