1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yes just sucks some of the gamey decisions they stuck on top of the world. kinda ruins it when you make a nice detailed world but game things negate that work.

but yea the combat is hellaciously fun.

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    I've enabled experimental features and the setting shows up when in game on the GFE overlay but when pressing the hotkey ALT+F3 I get a message saying "a compatible game is required to use this feature".

3. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Yep, I get this also. Am on latest GFE and GPU drivers. Definitely helps disabling any AA in the game and depth of field. Guessing we got the god awful console version of AA. Kind of makes sense as they went for 60 FPS/1080p on current gen. Just wish the PC version wasn't so bloody clunky. The UI is also a mess. Is it too much to ask to have it fully mouse-driven? It's so inconsistent. Sometimes mouse clicks register, most of the time they don't. Feels sloppy.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Yea the UI needs some work on the PC, like why the hell do I need to press ENTER to get rid of some text on screen!?? Why can't I just click the LMB? You can't even rebind this in the options menu so you are stuck with having to press ENTER!

Also sometimes trying to bash crates in the game is hilarious, and painful at the same time. It's as if a sneaky pissed off dev went in just before the game went gold and made all the crates 1mm shorter making smashing them a chore.

Other than that the game is still fun to play, and at least they made an effort with performance and finally someone else using Vulkun API which in my eyes should be the only API game devs use.

cerebus23 likes this.

5. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    RAGE - alpha open-world gameplay
    RAGE 2 - beta open-world gameplay
    RAGE 3 - Third time's a charm? Maybe id tech 7

cerebus23 likes this.
  6. haste

haste Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    OK so I've finished main story and acquired most of available upgrades. Even with my extremely leisure style of gaming, I've managed to do that in just over 15 hours! Yes, there is still plenty of outposts that need clearing, but the main story was just a few quests, literally. The 3 projects, that you get at the beginning, is the whole main story. So disappointing. Overall this is not a AAA game. With this little content the game offers, it's really daring to ask 60 bucks for it.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Maybe...

Except... RAGE was never said, or meant to be "open world".
    id said multiple times that it was NOT an open world game. They said if featured more open design then their previous games, but it was still a linear experience, connected by Hub style wastelands.

The original design was for 3 distinct wastelands, and more side content.
    But, lots of stuff got cut before release.

EDIT: @haste I'm just a little over 15 hours, not even halfway through the main story. Also, tons of side stuff still scattered all over the map.

I'm not sure why everyone is making such a huge deal about this with RAGE 2. When, this is has been the case for so many open world games in the past.
    Several of them, the main story can be finished very quickly is you just push through those quests.
    And, people being upset by the open world design of RAGE 2. Yet... it's damn near the same design as all of Avalanche's other games.

signex and cerebus23 like this.
  8. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    If they don't drastically improve the game with updates and DLC, RAGE 2 won't be a success.

Hell, once Cyberpunk 2077 comes out, I think all future open world games will be judged against it and RAGE 2 barely holds up today.

I'm at 19 hours now...I kind of want to play more, but I also don't want to complete everything before the massive Day 30 update which will likely patch the game to release status. Right now, I consider the game to be a post-beta, pre-release. There's a lot of bugs. The textures seem to finally load in higher resolution for me, after some 15 hours lol

Also, the driving in this game annoys me. I haven't done any races and haven't gotten into the winner's lounge yet so can't even complete the story. I'll get around to it later.

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    1 day and 4 hours into rage and i can start the final mission most of the contacts are rank 9 or 10, my most used guns are upgraded, got all the weapons had to use the intenet to find some (oops). Got a decent amount of upgrades playing on easy first go so yea i do not need 10 levels of health and damage to finish the game. still TONs of side content to do.

So yea might spend another day knocking off some side stuff and finish up the story. upgrade my fire pistol some more, and my umm the uber sniper thingy, oh a i need the dart gun i guess which supposed to be one of the most meh of the weapons.

had fun though might start over on higher difficulty and try to rebind some of the powers keys to not be such a hassle to use. ctrl plus key is kinda awkward for a leftie trying to keep fingers on wasd got the black hole power and not even used it in combat dash pretty much wins any fight lol (lest on easy).

10. Michael Freeman

Michael Freeman Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4gig
    Yes, that dawned on me eventually. I just wrote an article about this. The desert area suffers from "texture wash out" in the desert sun.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Really enjoying the hell out of this even though the story is "B" movie quality at best. The mix of Mad Max open world exploration/driving and DOOM 2016-style combat is a lot of fun but it is somewhat marred by a lot of bugs and glitches, mostly broken audio such as dialogue cutting out, the horn on the car continuing until I exited the game and so on. There are also some physics bugs such as floating objects etc, nothing game breaking but it does distract from the overall polish of the game. Still, this is a solid first-person shooter and a decent followup to the original RAGE.

12. Michael Freeman

Michael Freeman Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4gig
    Never got any of those bugs. But I have the GPU driver crash while in TAB menu bug. It appears to happen after hibernating Windows 10. I fully shut down Windows yesterday so I'll see if it the bug reoccurs today.

EDIT: Best fair review I've seen of Rage 2. I think they got the bullseye when they compared to The Expendables film but I guess you have to watch the vid to understand what they mean by that.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    My short review:
    Fantastic combat and weapon feel, nice SFX.
    Graphics are OK but there is too much bloom.
    Story is not great but you probably don't play these types of games for the story.
    UI/modding system, not too great.
    Driving is pretty poor due to bad handling, driving also introduces some stuttering probably due to streaming.
    Only bug encountered is missing dialogue audio and some missing SFX (for example when buying an upgrade in the TAB menu)
    Plays great on my computer with stable frame rates.

BlackZero and cerebus23 like this.
  14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    LOL I found a bug in one of the bandit camps in the marsh area near a small swamp. There are stairs inside the only large room going down to a wall (yes a wall nothing there) but half way down the stairs the entire building disappears leaving only some small lines of the building. It only happens in a specific spot on the stairs but if you time it right you can get your character to stop.

Anyway, if you think the driving sucks wait til you unlock the flying motor cycle.... I just did... its super weird and you can barely control it. You have to be over ground for it to work otherwise you just fall, and across mountains and hills it auto corrects its own height so you can basically just fly across the whole map.

cerebus23 likes this.
  15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i've also seen stuff pop into view like in front on me or my vehicle. like right in front so it not general pop in but a rendering bug of some sort.

And was clearing a base and there was this pit thing, where there were explody barrels, but they did not render less you got right up to the pit, take a step back they vanished, but you could still shoot them visible or not so i blew them up.

not happened a ton but it does happen.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    ;)

[​IMG]

cerebus23 likes this.
  17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yep @ 1080 the 1060 numbers look bang on to what i see the dips are mostly in vehicle though otherwise its 60 fps.

Undying likes this.
  18. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    The ssao is heavy on ultra. drop down to high fps boost and hardly any change to visuals.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Your 2080Ti should eat this game for breakfast (except perhaps at 4K) :)

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Yeah the game sees a pretty big performance hit as the display resolution is scaled up, seems to run from 40 - 50 averaging at low 50's at 4k when the 2080Ti should be handling it better though who knows what's going on in the game engine and what else is scaling with said resolution increase. SSAO seems like a good candidate from the quoted post there and perhaps other effects so if they hit hard at 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 then it'll be significantly harder at 3840x2160 not sure but perhaps Ultra doesn't use half or quarter res which are both common for post-processing techniques like ambient occlusion. (Short of debug mode it's not going to look that much worse and it's a good speed gain as long as it's not a fixed resolution like in some ports were it's 1280x720 and scaling up.)

[​IMG]