1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I found this interesting.

WhiteLightning and cerebus23 like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I also prefer original grey tone with a muddy and dirty textures. It feels more like a wasteland.

Neon pink/green is not my color.

3. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Its crazy how much detail the first game had. I was blown away by Rage when it came out, it still looks decent.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    RAGE is a great game.
    I've replayed it several times, and still have a blast with it even now.

Visually, it looks fantastic. And the hand crafted animations gave the characters a ton of personality.
    But, the lack of physics in a lot of the world objects, static, back in shadow maps... and the fact that your only "side missions" just repeated your already finished main missions... was a letdown.

id had large plans for the third game.
    Originally, a third Wasteland. More side locations, more bandit clans... you can see on the map. Lots of locations that should lead to places... but don't.

cerebus23 likes this.

5. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    it is obvious id were on to something with mega texture tech *(even with the turn n it loads in issues*) when you consider how much the size of game worlds have moved on since its clear that kinda tech would no longer be viable for any kind off open world follow up including a sequel to RAGE. if avalanche can imrpove the muddy graphics and the AA blur impact in 2 i will enjoy it even more. we know there are already like two new areas in the works which is exactly what i always hoped they would do with Mad Max.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I don't know about that. Megatextures aka virtual texturing has come a long way since Rage. It's definitely progressing very well, as all the limitations that megatextures had in the original Rage have been overcome. The reason why there were so many issues with low texture resolution in the original Rage was because of the low amounts of RAM and storage that the consoles had. And the slow loading was due to inefficient algorithms that relied on the CPU to index and stream the textures from storage to memory. Both of these problems have been solved, the former by increased hardware specs for the consoles, and the latter due to using GPU compute.

Given all the technological advancements for Id Tech, I don't see why they couldn't do an open world game with some further refinements.

Undying likes this.
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    maybe they will fill in the map with some new locations and factions. but only time will tell.

8. Michael Freeman

Michael Freeman Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4gig
    Well said. I decided to jump at this game as I usually wait to see if its worth it. But so far I'm seeing good things. The FPS finesse of ID meets the open worlds of Avalanche. It looks like both of them needed to meet as Rage 2 is a very arcadey open world experience. Someone mentioned Mercenaries 2: Playground of destruction. There's even a bit of the same silly humour in there. So as I thought, performance wise on my machine is same as Mad Max, ie. good, really good which is a huge relief. I get so fed up of these game engine heavy weights that require you have a GPU that was released yesterday. Also there's been no game breaking release day bugs to drag down the game that ID/Avalanche/Bethesda should be commended for. The only thing I'm still following is this "low res textures" thing but I wonder how much of it is a case hearing "low res" and then looking everywhere for "low res" in game. Once your're looking for it you see it everywhere. The Rage / Rage 2 video comparison posted above mostly shows a difference in graphic design approaches.

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    I'm thinking advancements with D3D11, D3D12 and OpenGL and then Vulkan after RAGE's release would have really helped the type of tech Carmack was onto making it far more versatile and with less drawbacks though the amount of detail even in RAGE as the first title up and using the feature is exemplary even if smaller objects are fairly blurry but on the overall whole it's impressive and for when the game came out and memory and video memory constraints too. :)

Wonder what could have happened if the Zenimax/Bethesda and Carmack differences and legals wouldn't have been a thing but I think I recall him being interested in VR from a long while back and Tiago formerly of Crytek has done a really nice job with idTech 6 and Vulkan and on.

This is APEX though although it will be interesting to see idTech 7 and what it can do for DOOM Eternal as id Software's next game. :)

EDIT: What was RAGE using anyway, 3.2 with extensions from Open GL 3.3 I think?
    (Or maybe it was 3.3 and 3.4 depending on GPU feature support.)

Undying likes this.
  10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, they've already detailed their road map for the rest of the year.
    With random "events", and two story DLC packs that will add enemies, locations, weapons and powers.

cerebus23 likes this.

11. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    Can someone tell me what this dude is using in his game ? it makes the graphics really sharp i like it, its not reshade.

Nevermind its freestyle but only build in GFE :(

cerebus23 and Stone Gargoyle like this.
  12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'm still tweaking the settings, but yeah... the game looks really, really good once your counter the blur.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I said, still playing with the settings. But, it's a massive difference between the default blurred image... and really shows the game truly needs an in game "sharpening" slider.

cerebus23 and Undying like this.
  13. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    I find just turning off TAA and FXAA in the games menu, and playing around with the Nvidia control panel colour settings to give the game more saturation fixes the problem of blurred graphics.

Sure it leaves behind some jaggies but the game starts to pop a lot more with no blur (also turn motion blur off) and more colour depth.

I also feel as if people are only in the starting area of the game and complaining the colours look washed out. Trust me, once you get out of the first open area you will see the games environments get a lot more colourful and each area has its own appeal.

EDIT:

Just did some more playing around and I reinstalled GFE to use this freestyle game filter they have and it says the game doesn't support it. So not sure what's going on there.

However, I just disabled DOF and omfg it makes a MASSIVE difference. FXAA does blur the image slightly, TAA is a bit more aggressive but the DOF setting is simple insane! It totally blurs the image to the sides of your character (peripheral vision) to the point where its just a mess and most if not all of the distant horizon as well.

Also, a funny bug, disable DOF and set AA to Off.... leave motion blur on.... now look around with your gun and watch the characters hand... lol its a complete mess you can actually see the per pixel motion blur working. It is quite funny, basically motion blur setting requires DOF to even work correctly.

I highly recommend turning DOF and motion blur OFF, then use either TAA on its own or FXAA on its own (both together create too much blur but not as much as DOF it self).

You will instantly get a much crisper image.

Also, another bug, if you want to change the time of day, use photo mode to change it and once you exit photo mode the time of day will be whatever you set in photo mode.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Michael Freeman and HitokiriX like this.
  15. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    been playin around with GFE which ive had no issues runnin on the game and im rly loving the way night time looks now *(i know it looks a bit purple but eh i love purple ok!!! lol)*

no DOF no blur no chrom ab scaling set to 87% auto scalin is off fxaa for min blur hit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

highering the sharp filter in GFE means i can still keep the resolution scaling lower to run the game better and with no real loss in detail quality, no blur sharp textures and good fps!!! makes a huge difference like someone else said the game really needs a slider but for now GFE gets it all done nicely why they made the game so fkin blurry idk as bring back the sharpness brings the game to life

16. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Duel OC 8
    Photo mode as far as I know works like that

Freestyle you have to enable experimental features in the gfe program settings.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It really is a good looking game. Character models look a little stiff during dialog, but enemies are very well animated and mobile during combat.
    But... the world... looks great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's like... Mad Max, RAGE and DOOM 2016 had a rather naughty weekend, and RAGE 2 was brought into the world.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    If only game had a sharpening slider. AA solutions are awfuly blurry.

Did someone mention HD texture pack already? :p

@Stone Gargoyle did your 1060 arrived? How does it run the game?

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  19. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    no it got delayed until monday for whatever reason dude still runnin my 960

has anyone visited a place called wet wood??? holy crap baws i played it on nightmare at night in dense fog and i will say it was one of the most fun moments in the game yet and one of the best dynamic fights i have had in a shooter for some time jumpin from roof to roof and having to go all out both with guns and powers to survive it was beautiful

cerebus23 likes this.
  20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, I just left the Wet Wood area. Was really nice.