Radiator repair?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Kzage, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Kzage

Kzage Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ATI 4890
    I got my screws mixed up while I was reinstalling a fan and punctured a channel on my xspc 360. Filled it with water and sure enough was leaking like a mofo. The hole seems rather small, so I was wondering if I just applied a bit of silicon sealant if it would be fine? I've used the stuff to secure brass nibs on a reservoir I made out of tupperware and after it cures it seems pretty tough, anyone had any experience patching their rad?

Is there something that I can use that is a bit better? I think tears actually came out when I saw the leak

2. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    epoxy or anything equal should work in effectively sealing off the leak.

i personally have used epoxy with water cooling(on the laptop) so i can recommend that.

3. Kzage

Kzage Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ATI 4890
    Ah yeah, I remember that project of yours. On XS, they talk about fixing it with JB Weld, any experience with the stuff?

4. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    jb weld is pretty crappy stuff. i wouldn't use it, can dmg your pump or block your heatsink.

you could use silcone on the outside, or if you know someone with a TIG welder get them to just fill it for you.

5. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    +1 for epoxy, or a good superglue works wonders also, plus it only takes 30 seconds to dry :)
    Or if your handy you could solder it. JB weld sucks

Make sure the hole is dry and clean, before you start any repairs.

If you think you might have got any extra into the radiator, make sure you flush it before putting it back into the system loop.

6. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Bit of solder maybe?

7. Romv19

Romv19 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 470GTX x2
    I punctured my new radiator in two places and epoxy fixed it.