RadeonPro BETA (Automating 3D Settings)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by japamd, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Won't take longer but I think you'll have time to prepare a diaper :p

I didn't received too many error reports in the last few weeks, the ones reported are about a duplicated key in a sorted list that is already fixed :)

There's also a few about the Choose from Steam wizard, but this is a lot more difficult to trace and fix.

I just finished tests with UAC and it's working fine, still need to test Windows XP.

As the compatibility profiles code it's brand new I also think there's still a few bugs to iron out, let's get ready for them! :banana:

2. And0r

And0r Active Member

GPU:
    Is temporal aa worth it?

3. JackM

JackM Guest

japamd, thank you so much for this great program. I used it with Dragon Age to enable AF and Triple Buffering under XP SP3 and it works so fine.

However, I have noticed one minor glitch: I am using a iMac 27" (late 2009) with ATI Mobility HD 4850 under Windows XP SP3 with Bootcamp 3.1. If I shut down or restart my computer once RadeonPro has activated then deactivated the profile for Dragon Age (launch and exit this program), Windows cannot stop Bootcamp and GDI+ programs and presents me timeout requesters to stop these applications. If I exit RadeonPro before shutting down or restarting Windows, there is no error message displayed.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    How is temporal AA supposed to work because I've tried it and never noticed it working in any game I've forced it in (set it to on and set the framerate counter to 30 or 60)?

I understand that it's supposed to add the illusion of AA being applied by alternating between two different frames so it only works during movement not during static scenes (is that right?). If it works like that then why can it not be used for games that traditionally don't support normal types of AA, e.g. GTA IV or Mafia II for example?

5. yaji

yaji Active Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 4850 512MB
    And TAA works just like normal multisampling. Well, it is multisampling, so you cant use it to force AA in GTA4 and other games. Oh and it looks the best on static scenes.

You can check how TAA works with this:

http://www.3dcenter.org/download/d3d-fsaa-viewer

6. And0r

And0r Active Member

GPU:
    So should I have it enabled then? I notice there is an 2x and 3x settings. I have the frame limiter set at "0"

Andy

7. yaji

yaji Active Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 4850 512MB
    The 3x multiplier does not work (I think last time it worked was few years ago). Turning TAA on will force VSYNC, so if you don't like vsync don't use TAA.

8. And0r

And0r Active Member

GPU:
    Yea I use vsync anyway as I have an lcd and I dont like tearing. So should I just leave it on or does it cause any known problems?

9. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Was happen to be playing with temporal AA settings last night with BC2. It sure helps making the game looks good without the heavy FPS that comes with 4x or higher AA settings.
    Used MSAAx2 with x2 temporal AA multiplier at first. That caused some noticeable outlining (anti-aliased at that) around characters in dark environments. x3 multiplier fixed some of that; gives at most scenes 4xAA impression.

Enjoyed the game now much more with a relatively stable 60fps at 1680x1050 with 4x(like)AA impression. \o/

10. yaji

yaji Active Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 4850 512MB
    I never had any problems with TAA, but sometimes it just doesn't work (Alien Swarm). See for yourself if you like it :p

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I was messing around with forcing AA in the Mafia II demo yesterday and noticed this morning that RP's Global settings and the CCC's own 3D settings had changed to 24xCFAA + 16xAF despite the fact the game had not crashed and I heard the sound both when starting the demo and exiting it.

Am I the only one who has my Global settings, which I leave at their defaults in both RP and the CCC, randomly change?

12. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    I did had that in an older version (forgot which one), and my Global Settings would reflect the settings of my last used profile. Despite the application didn't crashed.
    Can't say i have seen that again now i'm on a newer release.

13. DeFade

DeFade Active Member

GPU:
    SapphireToxic R9 280X 3GB
    Thanks for the great program. I'm using it with great success for Bad Company 2.

However, when the app lauches at system startup the tray icon is not visible. The only way to get the icon to appear in tray is to kill the process and start it up again. Is this normal?

edit

I was curious if you had any plans to add refresh rate overriding functionality to this? Thanks again for the great app :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @nexu - Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the latest build, v1.0.7.51 though. :(

It doesn't happen all the time, leading me to suspect it's either a random bug or something triggered by specific events, but it does mean that I have to constantly check the global settings because something like 24x CFAA applied globally would cause massive framerate drops in most of my games.

15. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    dont you see a red circle?

when you launch a game radeonpro icons change to a red circle meaning that monitoring its disabled (aka it wont detect another game if you open two games at the same time) until the game finishes :p.

16. DeFade

DeFade Active Member

GPU:
    I mean that the icon isn't visible in the tray at all, even though RadeonPro is running at system startup. Btw I do have it set up to show all icons and notifications in the taskbar.

17. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    If you click the radeonpro.exe again, without finishing anything on the task manager, it should open radeonpro window

18. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Yup, that lead me to do the same, in fact i still do, to make sure my global profile is as it should be. Which lead me to keep the global profile at defaults (global profile > restore defaults) and set a specific profile for every game that i have installed. Which is fine with me, at least now i can backup the profiles and have the proper settings for each game, which gives me great FPS with good IQ.

19. DeFade

DeFade Active Member

GPU:
    Thanks I know that. But the icon still didn't appear. Strangely, now the icon is appearing when windows starts but now Rivatuner can't show proper temperatures until I restart it. Is there some kind of conflict between Rivatuner's monitoring and RadeonPro's functions?

20. Black_ice_Spain

GPU:
    5700XT
    not that i know, but better ask japamd :p.

altho if we could have temp monitoring and such in RP :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.