RadeonPro BETA (Automating 3D Settings)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by japamd, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX
    yeah supossed so. Thought some parent check by the child.

Well thanks for working on it :p.

2. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    Yeah I suffer from similar issues for older games like ToCA Race Driver 3.

Normally, Darren, I'd create a CCC profile with saved 3D and Overdrive settings. Then I'd edit the profile's XML file and change the following settings:

- <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="72500" />
    <Property name="Want_1" value="72500" />
    <Property name="Want_2" value="72500" />
    </Feature>
    - <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want_0" value="100000" />
    <Property name="Want_1" value="100000" />
    <Property name="Want_2" value="100000" />

As you can see I've edited the Core and Memory clocks so that all three "Want" values are set to the max 3D speeds for my 5970.

Then I'd create a RadeonPro profile for a game (like Psychonauts) and use the scripting section to start up your forced 3D CCC profile. You can also set the scripting section to load your default CCC profile back when the game has finished.

The only issues I have run into at the moment, that I can't seem to find a solution for, is that the script won't run the CCC profile the first time around straight after having started my PC up. But it will always load the CCC profile the second time. I'm hoping Japamd can find a solution for it.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Thanks for the reply, sean_skroht. Sounds like a bit of messing around really.

Would running another 3D application in the background while playing Psychonauts be a quicker workaround?

4. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Cheers dude for that......

I was hoping that it could completley replace all the funtions that i use ATT for.
    The Vsync "Vista workaround" is quite an important feature for me.
    In ATT its in additional D3DTweaks.

I'll give RadeonPro a miss then as no point on having 2 tools when 1 can do all i need !!!

5. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    I tried running another 3D app some time ago and it didn't work for me. Try it and see if it does for you.

As for the messing around part, once you've done the initial work to set it up it becomes really easy after that, and it's soooo convenient. In theory, Japamd's idea of using scripts to launch CCC profiles or even other executables is a fantastic one, because then that way you can forget about having to manually change CCC profiles to force 3D clocks, spin up fans etc, or even forget about running other programs manually as well.

But as I said before, I have this one small issue that I can't seem to fix.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    i hope japamd can fix it, but i doubt it. its really the drivers.
    on Nvidia you can force SLI on games. on ATI you cant force CFX.
    its the way its designed i think. so psychonauts isnt running CFX for you at all.
    even if you up the clock speeds , CFX wont be enabled automatcly if you do.

i just hope im wrong though!

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    ATI drivers really aren't very good, are they? :(

At the very least I'd have expected Psychonauts to run on one card at full 3D clock speeds given its age (old at five years but not that old) but it's like ATI have forgotten about it... or maybe they never supported it in the first place? I've reported the issue to them through their Catalyst Feedback Form but I doubt they'll bother fixing it now.

I hate to say this but I'm really starting to regret switching to ATI as the cards themselves are great in terms of price, features, power usage and cooling but the drivers leave a lot to be desired IMO. Third-party apps like RadeonPro do make it more bearable I'll admit but ATI do seem to be about five years behind NVIDIA when it comes to basic things like per-game profiles and multi-GPU support. Do they even take note of what their rivals are doing or do they exist in their own little dreamworld?

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I would think so, since there are a few games where they didn't fix performance issues, more in sense of a little lower fps and stuttering.
    TwL compiled something that kicked ass, but had a tiny instability issue when you played for ½ a day.
    Gonna test his new test release to see if its as good performance wise, is so and if its stable, ATI will get something to think about.
    Cause I suspect that some of their staff actually reads on the better 3D site forums like Guru3D.
    If they don't, they miss everything and really live in their own little dreamworld.
    Should think that AMD had a saying in this too.

9. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    I'm not sure if it's really worth adding video options as video features are hardware related and may vary a lot from generation to generation. For video options I think it's better stick with CCC as it gets updated accordingly.

Try clearing the cache in Settings, delete Skins folder then try to download the skins again.

Try Reset Defaults on Global tab and delete the profile that caused the issue.

Uninstalling the program won't do anything regarding video settings, they will stay as they are at uninstall time.

Mine is Steam version and I don't have it installed right now, I'll try to download it this weekend and see if I can reproduce the behavior you've described.

I don't think the AB profile is causing that because the game is started only after the pre-start script finishes.

In case you wanna try, you can insert a delay using a for loop just after loading the AB profile, something like this

for(delay = 0; delay < 10000000; delay++) { }

Ouch, so Sniper Ghost Warrior is that bad? :p

Did you tried to force AA in other games that couldn't be forced before?

About 1-2 the answer is no, RadeonPro don't deal directly with overclocking so it all depends on the overclocking program you're using. About 3, you can load an overclocking profile before the game is started and after it exits.

About 4, just use Force Vsync in Direct3D tweaks, it has the same effect as Vista workaround in ATT :)

There's a registry key to force 3D clocks, but I don't know if the driver is actually using it. You can try to set it manually by editing the Psychonauts profile and adding the following line anywhere between <Profile> and </Profile> tags:

<Property name="ForceHigh3DClocks" value="1" />

Save the file and launch the game.

Please let me know if that fixes the 2D/3D clock switching issue.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @japamd - Thanks for the Psychonauts 3D tip... I'll try it sometime today and report back.

As for the AA question, I only tried the SC2 AA profile with BioShock/BioShock 2 (DX10) and that didn't work (shouldn't have been surprised really since SC2 is DX9 only anyway). The person who reported the SC2 trick though did mention a few other games worked including Sniper Elite (I think that's what it was called). Can't remember what the other games were though... one of them might have been Gothic III.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @japamd - I tried the ForceHigh3DClocks thing but it didn't seem to work. Regardless of whether I add <Property name="ForceHigh3DClocks" value="1" /> or <Property name="_ForceHigh3DClocks" value="1" /> (should it have an underscore like the other entries in the profile?) after I quit Pyschonauts and check the profile again the entry has been removed. Psychonauts still switches between 2D and 3D clock speeds at random whether it's playing FMV or the 3D engine. Annoying.

Thanks for trying though.

12. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    Yeah - I hate to be a pessimistic spoil sport, but the "ForceHigh3DClocks" doesn't work. I had tried it sometime ago.

The reason why you and I and others are experiencing problems like this is largely (but not wholly) because of ATI's power saving feature called Powerplay. In theory, Powerplay is a great idea, but it fails miserably in it's execution. Where I found it suffers the most is when you run CrossfireX on older games. Ideally, Powerplay would increase clock speeds to a consistent 3D rate when a game is running and then decrease your card back to idle speeds when you're done. But what happens is your GPU's will jump up and down in clocks speeds.

The only working solution I have found to override the dodgy effects of powerplay is to edit your CCC profiles "Want" values. No one has been able to come up with a better solution. Not even ATT or Afterburner solves this issue. Seriously, if someone can come up with a better solution, then I gadly welcome the advice, because I too am really really sick of ATI's drivers.

13. brazen

brazen Active Member

GPU:
    Asus STRIX GTX 980
    Hi guys,

Just started building PCs, and so far, I rank this site as one of my favorites. This was also the first time I read about F@H and I think it's a wonderful initiative.

Anyway, all I really wanted to say is that I decided to step up and donate my cycles to the Guru3D team. I'm using the standard Windows client as I need to disable CrossfireX to be able to use the GPU version.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I tried what you suggested yesterday - I saved my existing default profile as (conveniently) Default then saved another called Force 3D Clock Speeds. I then went to the AppData folder and found the latter profile and edited the three Want values (which are shown twice) to show the same values as the high ones, including core speed (850) and voltages (1163).

I then selected the Force 3D Clock Speeds profile before loading Psychonauts but it didn't work. I still saw the clocks dropping down to 400 MHz (monitored using MSI Afterburner's OSD by the way). Was I doing something wrong?

Should I just disable PowerPlay altogether... would that help as I'm getting fed up of older games switching between 2D and 3D speeds during gaming? Telltale's recent games such as Tales of Monkey Island keep doing this as do Traveller's Tales LEGO games (maybe it's something to do with having the word 'tales' in your name!!!). I guess if it wasn't for the OSD I wouldn't know why the game kept feeling smooth one second and laggy the next.

I've complained about this issue to ATI but I doubt they'll do anything about it as they seem to focus only on new games and the major ones at that and ignore pretty much everything else. It's quite depressing to note that of the six games I've bought in the last few months, only two of them have proper CrossFireX support. Blur has CrossFireX disabled (ATI's quick, lazy fix for the water slowdown bug) and Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands still has major framerate slowdown when you die or rewind time, forcing me to Alt-Tab to the desktop and back to fix it. It really is shocking.

15. sean_skroht

sean_skroht Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SC
    LMAO!! You may be onto something there! I have all the Wallace and Gromit games and I did have similar issues until i edited the profiles. :D

We'll take it one step at a time. It might be a time consuming endeavor but once you've sussed it out, believe me, it'll improve your experience.

Q1. When you manually activated your "Force 3D Clock Speeds" profile did you notice your clock speeds in "Current Values" in ATI Overdrive jump up immediately to your specified 3D rates? They should have. If they didn't, it is because of one of two things:

1. You pressed the "Defaults" button in "ATI Overdrive" prior to activating your "Force 3D Clock Speeds" profile. If you did then you need to activate your 3D profile twice in a row for the clock values to jump up. Then just switch between your 3D and "Default" profile. Don't ever press the "Defaults" button otherwise you'll have to activate your 3D profile twice in a row.

2. If you are running dual GPU's then change "Want" values for both "CoreClockTarget_0" and "CoreClockTarget_1" as well as "MemoryClockTarget_0" and "MemoryClockTarget_1". This is just in case you already haven't done so.

I found that the whole profile editing solution works best with Catalyst 10.4 before ATI decided to stuff around and change idle clock speeds. 10.5 - 10.7 are up the duff.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @sean_skroht - Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I'll try it again tonight because if it works for you then there's no reason it shouldn't work for me too.

17. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    I can't even start the Psychonauts demo, I get an APPCRASH right after starting it...

About the updates to the compatibility profiles, I think we're very near to have them working with Steam games and other launcher based ones. I just got Bioshock (steam version) to work renamed as whatever I want :)

In screenshot below Bioshock has been launched through Steam, the executable running is MassEffect.exe though.

[​IMG]

Using the same method I got Batman Arkham Asylum, Street Fighter IV, Trine, Prince of Persia (which uses the new UBI DRM), running with another executable name, flawlessly. ;)

18. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    O M F G

This means AA on Bio****2, MAYBE GTA IV (i said maybe, because i manged to get AA working on it, but EVERYTHING was black. Used a crack to bypass the launcher, so, i've renamed the crack as BIAHH.exe) and so on.

Amazing stuff right there! Thank Japamd!!

19. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 Ti
    Keep up the great work!

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The demo (from Steam) doesn't work but the full game does.

There is a v1.02 demo though on another site you could try as Steam may have the older build. The link is here: http://www.gamershell.com/download_9436.shtml

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.