RadeonPro BETA (Automating 3D Settings) #2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

It depends on what you compare it to I guess.

To me, the general look and feel of Raptr (stock and Gaming Evolved) just scream cheap and unpolished to the point to where I don't even feel comfortable using it. I don't consider my expectations in good UX design too high at all really.

Is anyone aware of some way to adjust the Flip Queue Size setting, preferably from the registry, or another program other than ATT? So far, that's the only feature on RP I can't find any alternative to...

2. Seren

Seren Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Meh, I've been running Raptr in the background since they introduced those points. I disabled all the crap (overlay, dock, notifications etc.) but still have it launch at start-up and track games. It does use a crapload of RAM (70-110mb) still but doesn't put a dent in my 16GB (my old 4gb machine would disagree however). It doesn't interfere with anything the way I have it set up so I don't mind it. I don't open it up from the client anyways so I don't care for the UI, but honestly it's not too bad, however the in-built web-browser is, it's terribly slow.

Anyways, I've accrued 7200 points just from playing games so far which could prove handy in the future. Since I ditched Xfire, Raptr is pretty much the only one that can keep my proper game-time, Evolve had a sync from Steam one-time only and since I stopped using it for a bit it's completely inaccurate. Evolve is a nice program but there's just so many little things that make it useless for me (Esp, you've probably seen my post about that).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  3. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Ah, yeah I've seen that post.

Basically, gametime with Evolve is only trusted when it's tracked from the client itself, and only when you have the client running. They mainly just want accurately tracked gametime (there was a point where there was basic implementation of an early rep and loot system which I assume would of been similar to Raptr's system, but it was scrapped a good while back with the website re-design).

I used to care about gametime tracking heavily in the past, but I realize it's pretty futile to try now. I consider gametime the time I actually play the game. Meanwhile, I have hours worth of AFK, queue times, game patching, and loading screens of time logged, and none of that is actual playing time.

Raptr does have some pretty nice features, but I feel most of those features are better implemented in other programs. The only real benefits to Raptr that I know of (based on my usage anyway) are console gametime tracking (which you don't need the client for; barely need the client for PC gametime tracking also if you use Steam), and some kind of rewards for your gametime (not too sure how well that works though seeing as people can just start a game and idle though; perhaps the rewards aren't anything significant to account for that?).

I tried to stop using Xfire as early as 2010, and tried out Raptr for a bit. Was back to using Xfire later that same day (I believe my original reasoning was because of Raptr providing much more than I needed). I eventually ditched Xfire (due to a bs move and threat from an employee) for Evolve and managed to convince most of my friends to do the same in 2011.

I was initially pretty disappointed with John's news about scrapping RP development, but after realizing what all I only really used RP for (FQS and GPU stats overlay sometimes), I suppose I won't really be missing out on much (both still work currently; FQS adjustments isn't mandatory, RTSS can do GPU stats overlay). I can imagine others having more of a reason to be disappointed though if they share similar feelings towards Raptr and relied on more features of RadeonPro...

4. Gizmo

Gizmo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gratz to John on the new job :thumbup

Im sure it wont be long before AMD break Radeonpro one way or another so they can push Raptr/Evolve & there points of prizes (bribery) BS & Unless someone put out an alternative or AMD radically overhauls CCC (never going to happen)its just going to be one more reason to go back to Nv for me....

5. Parsnip

Parsnip Member

GPU:
    GTX760 2GB OC 2.0
    I too have been using Raptr for several years now (from back when their client ran on Adobe AIR, oh boy, that was a "great" version), and in my opinion moving away from AIR was the last good development for the client, been downhill with each update from there. Their focus on facebook style walls on the website end and trying to be too many things for too many people with the client, well it just means that they are doing many things, but none of the things work super well. Jack of all trades, master of none, and all that.

I can't count the bugs I've submitted to them about some broken thing on the client that is still not fixed after years, but they somehow found the time to add twitch streaming, revamp the reward stuff, get in (sucky) crowd sourced optimization etc. It wouldn't hurt them to put a feature lock on the client and take 6 months or something to polish and actually fix that stuff before adding new things.

6. Shaneus

Shaneus Master Guru

GPU:
    5970/5850 TFX 899/1150
    First of all, massive congrats to John, I think it was only a matter of time before he got "the call" ;)

Secondly, yeah, I am disappointed and to an extent it does feel like we were strung along a little (even if it was out of everyone's control, like John's hardware getting lost in the mail or something, delaying the release of the next RP). And I realise it might sound a little over-the-top, but RP honestly was one of the last things keeping me interested in getting an AMD card once I finally ditch my 5970/5850 setup (a testament to how solid the program is). Seeing how easy nVidia users have it with that utility where they can configure AA and profiles and all that stuff (like that SGSSAA or whatever it is), and thinking we'll soon have something they can be envious of was keeping me going. But honestly, useability has never been in AMD's vocab and I don't expect John's involvement with the Raptr project to improve things significantly, no matter how talented he is.

I'll keep using RP for now, but knowing it's basically the last version we'll ever see (and say goodbye to something like a new SFX version working with it or getting any fixes) stings a little.

Sucks, I kinda liked coming into this thread and hoping there was an update to RP around the corner :(

7. LeLeXD

LeLeXD New Member

GPU:
    Someone who has tested ambient occlusion with cod4?

8. WillG

WillG Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Not sure if AMD is directly affiliated with Raptr or not - but AMD has really shot themselves in the foot by letting John 'go'.
    The power of the AMD hardware, it's pricing and this RP tool, were the main reasons, as an advanced user, that I choose AMD over Nvidia. It gives us control to use all of the power in AMD's impressive hardware.

With RP now gone (and the continuing disarray of their drivers) it's yet another reason to give pause come the next purchase or upgrade.

AMD should have paid John and branded RP as AMD software. It doesn't matter how good the hardware is if you cant extract the performance from it - and now with RP gone, that is going to be a lot harder.

9. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    RP is not gone. Install it and it works.

10. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    For now. No more updates or bug fixes. Development ceased.

11. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    he said he wil fix breken stuff if amd breaks it...

12. nom4r

nom4r New Member

GPU:
    I have a question, does the radeonpro must be running for the profiles to be applied?

Also, for example in the Visual tab, uncheking the Anti-Aliasing box for example, what is going to happen? It will run the CCC settings or what?

In the advanced tab also some options like "anisotropic opmitization", which sort of have 3 options, a "full checked box", a "box greyed checked" and no checked box, what each one of them means?

Sorry for any english mistake.

13. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    yes, it must be running.

yes, unchecking the box will default to CCC settings, checking it will override CCC.

i dont know what the grey check means, the other are on and off obviously.

14. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    I'm having a strange problem with the Stalker series on Steam. I installed all three and used RadeonPro in Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat. Both games loaded up fine for the last couple of days with RadeonPro but yesterday, all of the sudden neither game will load with the program enabled, they both just hang at the splash screen. Both will load without RP running or with API detection disabled but not with it on. I've tried several other games and they load up fine with RP running. As far as I know there have been no changes to my system so I'm really at a loss here.

15. onemoar

onemoar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    welp since japamd has dropped off the face of the planet time to start working on a alternative to RP staytuned

16. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Whoever does decide to do this, please make it open source :)

17. lycanwrath

lycanwrath Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB ref
    hehe, that wud be niceee!!! :)

18. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    You will get zero help from AMD if you do.

They are not going to give away their secrets for all to see.

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    I don't think RadeonPro goes architecture deep. Many of its features work on Nvidia cards as well.

20. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Just something to be aware of is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.