1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon VII (Vega 7nm) - Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Turanis

Turanis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^ True,Vega 64 & 56 are another story.Good cards vs Pascal series.

Undying likes this.
  2. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    it's because the 1080 owners have something to upgrade to. I don't think Vega64 is magically better value than the 1080 in today's market.

I upgraded to a 2080 because it was an option. And seeing as it's better value than the RVII, I wouldn't have changed my mind even now.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    What do you mean? Vega64 users can also upgrade to 2080 but they choose not to. Vega64 performs quite a bit better in newer games than 1080.

You swapped 1080 for 2080 not long ago, i wonder why.

Embra likes this.
  4. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    As did I. Now we wait.

5. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    I upgraded because I bought a new monitor and wanted more than 80fps at 1440p. Going from 80fps on average to 110 is a big difference.

1080 and vega64 trade blows mate.

Fox2232 likes this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  7. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    another video confirming that the card is noisy ^

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Has it been a success? Yep !

Yep. Okay see you next week. What? You want more? In the blurb AMD show performance that should match up to the RTX 2080.
    Normally manufacturer claims are about as accurate as a Daily Express article, but in this case AMD have hit the nail on the head.
    Throughout our testing the Radeon VII slotted in around the RTX 2080 in every benchmark. Sometimes ahead. Sometimes just behind. But always right next to it.
    Given that the amount of Compute Units - and thus Stream Processors - is actually below the Vega 64 it shows how incredible the updated architecture is.
    At 1080P the two cards aren't too far apart, but as you click through the resolutions the extra memory on the Radeon VII really comes to the fore until you reach 4K when the Vega is a dot in the rear view mirror.

It isn't just the HBM2 that enables this beefy performance hike, as three other ingredients that go to make the high performance stew are perfectly catered for too.
    Firstly it's a joy to see AMD finally dispense with the blower style of cooler and go with a proper three fan job.
    Our temperature test showed how successful this has been with the most we saw being 73°C, 10 degrees cooler than the Vega 64 that preceded it just remember it does spin the fans up to 3000rpm almost instantly as any real 3D game rendering starts so this is NOT a quiet card.
    There is more good news from the power draw. The old Vega 64 span your electric meter like top, but the Radeon VII sits in the power graph in the same spot it sat in all our performance tests, right between the RTX 2080 and the overclocked RTX 2080.

The AMD Radeon VII sits alongside the Ryzen CPUs as completing AMDs return to glory,
    rocking big frame rates in all the latest titles and thoroughly deserving of our OC3D Gamers Choice Award.

As i said -> Mixed Bag & Trade Blows

From -> https://www.overclock3d.net

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    leszy and Undying like this.
  9. DrDoU

DrDoU Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS
    this thing is all over the place in many reviews.Wonder how the launch drivers are?

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Games are increasingly using more and more vram. Im sure 16GB will come on handy in everything you do, even gaming sooner than we thought.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    The error in your logic is that you are assuming the Vega and VII have the same output at the same clock speed. At the same clock speed the VII is a better performer.

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    From the known issues found in 19.2.1 for VII? It's as expected and well, same. ("All over the place.") give it a few months and well I doubt we'll see a full re-test but newer games and benchmarks might still give a nice overview. :)
    The newer WDDM 2.6 Windows 10 Update Catalog drivers if there's a model for VII at some point would be curious to see too maybe even on Win10 19H1 but then it's a beta-of-sorts OS on a beta(Maybe alpha.) driver so might not be very indicative of how these will perform both when 19H1 actually comes out (Or a few months later at worst if MS has to do more patches again.) and then AMD's drivers once this newer branch is stable enough and merged into the release driver branch probably closer to or maybe even after 19H1 is out if they're not doing a WDDM 2.6 beta driver release or similar separately. :)

EDIT: That said it's more about stability, assuming game X is not broken entirely then performance gains are usually smaller although 2% up to 5% gains might be possible and well some ("") games are kinda broken at launch so higher isn't entirely out of the equation. :D

EDIT: Ah and overclocking and even including undervolting could and probably also will change as the drivers pull more performance out of the GPU either for specific games or overall or AMD changes Wattman or Overdrive and things have to be set up from scratch again either with better or at times worse results. Overclocking is variable after all though I do like what Vega can achieve so it will be fun to read up on VII and what can be done both via Wattman and then later on maybe third party programs (Perhaps not bios.) and also newer drivers and the water cooling solutions that will be popping up.

Might even see third party designs although the stock PCB and cooler (For being air cooled at least.) seem pretty solid as is really but it might be possible to go higher.
    (Well for the cooler perhaps, PCB is probably quite over-engineered again for the GPU chip.)

EDIT: Ah same as Vega it seems from the G3D review.

But the power limit seems to cap at 20% going by the screenshot and I think it hits a limit unless you go for downclocking or downvolting. Soft-mod again via regedit?

30% is usually enough 50% and higher well some higher overclock gains might be possible but diminishing returns but if going to max OC is important then it can be done or even higher via said reg table. :)

What else am I forgetting, probably not much and newer drivers should see some adjustments to Overdrive 8 here. Doesn't seem too bad but the stock speed is already hitting the throttle points for at least power and probably thermal too if it tries going past 1700 to 1750 Mhz and probably won't go too far above 1800 Mhz although water cooling is still a factor as is heavy testing and power tweaking by getting that voltage down again.
    (And how much it actually scales and what it gains from cutting to say 1500 to 1600 Mhz and -100 to -150mv perhaps. Going to be interesting to see what can be achieved and exactly how this GPU scales.)

Water and a good binned GPU and what I wrote above might no longer apply though, still going to pull a fair bit of power and probably hits a wall with how much it wants and how much extra heat you need to dissipate and all that stuff after a certain level but well we'll see. :D

Few months and a few hundred enthusiast users should give a nice overview of just what these can do and exactly how the scaling is for them when you play around with the sliders and settings a bit.
    (Less memory limitations so maybe core clocks have a larger importance now so cutting it down by 100 or 200 mhz might see some tangible performance drops outside of benchmarks. Lots of unknowns really but it was just released so of course there is.)

EDIT: But...if this builds on Vega 56 and 64 and Overdrive 7 and the recent changes to Wattman then under volting even via auto might still be pretty good without manual fine tuning similar to what users reported the GPU was actually pulling when leaving it on Auto after sometime in Autumn last year I think there were some reports about the algorithm having changed and it hitting better results without changing anything manually in Wattman.
    (Though it can also boost a bit higher or draw a bit more from the GPU so users also reported prior stable overclocks as no longer stable so drivers can change things in that regard too, probably not too surprising getting more performance out of the GPU and it having to work a bit harder.)

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    RTX.2080 545mm² -> GPU size comparison (GPU without VRAM)
    Radeon VII (with VRAM) 331mm²
    Vega 64 (with VRAM ~120mm²) 495mm²
    Estimated size, just to point something out ;)
    ATI Technologies have Great uArch IMO.

Yup, i know it looks kinda funny, to see this small chip compete with 545mm² one.

[​IMG]

14. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    This new radeon is loud man, jezus christ xD
    If amd keeps going this road they never beat nvidia in the end. Hopefully the card gets a bit more stable and faster with newer amd drivers, else its just a big let down imo.

Also they need to do something about the load noise in gaming, thats just to much, its on par with the 560 ti hawk back in the day from nvidia.

[​IMG]

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Now we know why it's 699-599€ GPU ;)
    1.081v (my LC like this V much, from 1.094 to 1.075v is the best for Vega Gen.1)

[​IMG]

16. N7JFG

N7JFG New Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1070 wat
    I did it, i just ordered one. (btw coming from a waterblocked 1070, which served me great)

Why? because after watching Jayz2cents, Hardwareunboxed, Bitwit, Linus, etc. They almost all had the same gripe: the noise & the overclock & the shitty media drivers. So i looked at the figures and thought " if this is the performance we get with shitty drivers and broken overclock, then with good drivers and a waterblock, I'm taking the bet the game is going to change real soon on those figures we saw. "

Now if AMD takes 1/3 as long to get good drivers out as it takes Nvidia to have RTX & DLSS support in games, ill just sell it, bite the loss and go back to Nvidia.

AMD, if you read this: This looks like a fumble, which happens, but please, do NOT drop the ball.

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    OP updated

UV goes to 0.971mV & 0.950mV !

Undervolting on the Radeon RX Vega 64 worked well, but it was complicated. On the Radeon VII, reducing the GPU voltage not only works much easier, it's also more effective.
    First of all, you no longer lose performance when the voltage is reduced. Because unlike the previous flagship, the clock is not automatically reduced as well.

In addition, at least the test sample of the editors has a large scope for UV. Without clock reduction, the Vega 20 voltage could be reduced by 0.1 volts to 0.95 volts, without any problem during operation.
    At even lower voltages, however, the graphics card crashed after a few minutes. The consequences of undervolting are immediately noticeable:
    A significantly lower power consumption, an audibly quieter operation and the performance remains the same or in a few cases even minimally better - if the power limit has previously intervened.

From GER
    -> https://www.computerbase.de/2019-02..._ist_der_eigentliche_koenig_der_radeon_vii_uv
    and
    -> http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Radeo...5K-Compute-Tessellation-Undervolting-1274222/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sumarized at 4k (looks better)

[​IMG]

and Clock Vs Clock with Vega 64
    (Vega VII has less Compute GFX Units so it is Better overall)

[​IMG]

N7JFG likes this.
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    N7JFG likes this.
  20. Morax

Morax Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RX Vega 64
    Since the Radeon VII is officially released now: is PlayReady 3.0 supported by this card('s drivers)?

In other words: is it possible to watch 4K/UHD/HDR Blurays and UHD/HDR Netflix with these? Since it's still not possible with previous Vega-iterations...