Radeon VII (Vega 7nm) - Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jan 20, 2019.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    and Registry Tweak:

"DALNonStandardModesBCD1"=hex:13,60,07,68,00,00,00,60,13,60,07,68,00,00,00,75,\
    13,60,07,68,00,00,00,85,13,66,07,68,00,00,00,60,13,66,07,68,00,00,00,75,13,\

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    MSI SeaHawk 2080Ti
    Well. Time to start selling my PowerColor Red Devil Vega 64 :) Already pre-ordered from my local dealer the new Radeon VII..Had to bite the bullet :D

Maddness, Undying and OnnA like this.
  3. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    You can send it my way :) really need a gpu upgrade.

I think that the R7 will be a monster even competing with the rtx 2080ti in some tittles. If you get one put a waterblock on it

Flanker35M and Undying like this.
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    There's some new videos available and more as reviewers get the cards in, various teardown videos confirm it's a vapor chamber and how the PCB and such looks. Seems it's using a HM03 graphite thermal pad for the GPU core too and not a paste material but from the info I'm finding on AMD's reddit it's pretty good. :)

Now then, all that's needed is the actual performance figures. :D

Embra likes this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    link ;)

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    try typing Vega VII in YouTube search bar. That might help.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Well build :D
    Copper vapour chamber + graphene thermal pad.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. kondziowy

kondziowy Active Member

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Nitro LE
    Meaning it will never dry out - you never have to repaste it. OMG finally more cards adopting it.

OnnA likes this.
  9. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    yup. Would gladly adopt it on my gfx too. Wonder how is performance of it compared to LM or mx-4 or so.

10. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    As much as I LOVE AMD/ATI have a vega 64. A WHY would you pay MORE for this VII over a Nvidia 2080? I just checked.. you can get a 2080 cheaper. Whats better over the Vega ...7nm 16gb.. higher clock speed.

And yes it will LOOK as if it is selling but.. there wont be that many put out all the time.. so the stock .. SMALL stock will go fast.. and SOME PEOPLE will say..LOOK ITS SELLING OUT! Pffft... FAKE NEWS.. a truth yet not

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    2080 is about the same price as RVII. It has half the vram and raytracing with no games to try on.

Each of their own.

Maddness likes this.
  12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Sorry, though I see you found a few, didn't want to affect this website by direct linking to what would be competing sites and video articles or that felt like a good idea though I took it from the AMD reddit which had a number of articles on VII already posted. (It's just a few days until the reviews can be posted and I see Hilbert already posted some photos of the GPU as a sort of unboxing showcase.)

Not sure if these teardown showcases and complete coverage of the PCB, cooler, TIM or in this case the little pad thing rather than a paste (Though seemingly high performance.) risk anything for the NDA which should lift on the 7th was it when these are technically released although availability seems really low but it should steadily improve both for the stock version and the later custom models.

Though it does seem that a vapor chamber, decent heatspreader, triple fan kit and the big block of copper on said spreader do a good job already and once again the PCB has quite a thorough design with just about all that might be needed.
    In short (It even has a backplate even if it's fairly thin.) aside from some really over-engineered piece like what Sapphire tends to do and possibly Asus again well it'll be tough to compete with the stock version this time although water cooling is one angle that should see even further gains especially for overclocking potential if there is much headroom left at all beyond stabilizing voltage and thermals depending on what the GPU is actually running at.
    (Guessing it's up to 1250mv once again and up to 1800mhz core via boosting although only the better binned models will actually hit that reliably though downvolting and increasing the thermal limit might work and depending on how it scales downclocking could still decrease power consumption and heat while only minimally affecting overall performance at least for the GPU core, memory might be a bit different now that it's less of a bottleneck with bandwidth.)

EDIT: The 2080 is on a similar price level? That's going to be tough for AMD depending on how this performs though even then NVIDIA has a strong market lead and popularity.

Well we'll see in just a few days how this new Vega GPU performs. :)

So AMD said 27% average and a 20% - 25 ish percent increase from Vega 64 isn't bad and then 30 - 35% perhaps for the 56 maybe but at 700 USD and somewhere around that to well probably a bit higher in Europe I couldn't justify a upgrade until it's discounted similar to when I picked up this for 550 Euro something with shipping , was a pretty good price considering the situation Vega was in last year and the mining craze.
    (The tech is getting more expensive overall though or so it's at least looking like from both AMD and NVIDIA though I suppose this is a somewhat special GPU what with HBM and targeting the compute market a bit, maybe things will differ with Nano depending on how that turns out and the rumors on it thus far.)

EDIT: Though this is fairly higher-end product instead of mid-range so that also has a different price class.
    (If Nano is debuting as a mid-range segment product before a higher-end version down the line well nothing to do but wait and see.)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Maddness likes this.
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    So Nvidia release a gpu for $700 months ago and it's an outrage, because it's too expensive, but AMD can release a gpu now that performs worse and costs the same and it's "to each their own"?

hahaha

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Later this year it will perform better than 2080 just like vega 64 beating 1080 in pretty much every game. It will also have extra vram that will come in handy.

All that your 2080 have is rt that drag your performance down (if you find a game)

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    I'm not liking pricing of the Vega VII either.
    IMO now they need to probe the market (and milk those who willing to pay 700€ !)
    But in 4-6 month period we will see massive price drops (Yield will be better) and finally it settle on 550-599€ mark.

Price that they can sell it now is not less than 599-649€ (manufacturing / R&D /etc. of this GPU is ~500-550€) so ATI has ~200-150€ earn on each GPU.
    AMD/ATI Margin is at ~25->35% (depends on HW)

16. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    As much as I'd like I don't believe the cost of the VII will drop that much with time. I plan to vote with my wallet two days from now.

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Up & running :eek:

Maddness likes this.
  19. Flanker35M

Flanker35M Active Member

GPU:
    MSI SeaHawk 2080Ti
    Oh this wait for a new GPU :D Luckily a fast swap and have original boxes etc. for the Vega 64 still. Easier to sell and possibly ship.

OnnA likes this.
  20. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti

Maddness likes this.