Radeon VII (Vega 7nm) - Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Agent_D

Agent_D Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    I've tried it in the past. I'll give it another shot to see if I have any luck.

Currently, the only way I can use the card without crashing is to set the Auto Overclock GPU option in Wattman; if I try any other setting (including default) it will crash when running 3D applications after about an hour (19.10.2 after using DDU for removing old drivers). I don't really care for the auto overclock GPU since it sets it at 1991MHz with 1168mv, when the card runs stable at 2030 with 1095mv all day. Hopefully overdriveNtool will work until I get a 2080 super; I just can't deal with AMD's driver problems anymore.

Edit: Just tried overdriveNtool with the same results. When setting the clocks and voltage, it just locks the clock to ~1650MHz and crashed within 10 minutes in a 3D application. I spent a bit of time messing with MorePowerTool and was able to make it work with 19.10.2, I had to uncheck some of the boxes in the first tab that AMD removed from Wattman in 19.10.2; now it's working as it was before and needing to set the memory to 1200MHz in Wattman to get the memory overclock. Gives some strange readings in GPUz this way, but it's holding the 2030/1200 clocks and 1095mv GPU voltage.

I just wish AMD would stop screwing over their customer base who enjoy overclocking and fix the driver issues that lead to the problems.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    CPU Bound Vs GPU Bound :p

MSIMAX likes this.
  8. Boggus

Boggus New Member

GPU:
    Radeon VII
    My card has had the elevated memory clocks while idle since I bought it, not a big problem overall. However, during the november driver updates this issue seems to be fixed but I got a whole other problem instead. Now I get sudden high spikes in memory clocks when gaming, monitoring software has show them to sometimes be in the 1300-1400 mhz range. They last for a moment before dropping down again. Even with a manual setting on 1000 mhz on the memory these spikes still occur. Overall the memory speed fluctuates alot, never really stabilizing on 1000 mhz but jumping up and down 50-100 mhz like it is dynamically auto overclocking itself.

Anyone seen something similar? Downgrading to the september WHQL drivers makes the issue go away so I does not feel like faulty hardware.

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    do the memory spikes actually cause any problems?, if not , it might just be a the clock being reported incorrectly, in which case you need not worry

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Can be brutal ;)

11. Vlooi

Vlooi Member

GPU:
    GTX 980ti
    Overclocking with the latest 19.12.3 drivers works as normal again on both my vii's, one on AMD and the other on Intel based machines. What I have found also, is if one undervolts, memory does tend to clock much higher during gaming, with no adverse effects at all. HBM clocks on both cards can hit 1.4Ghz easily on occassions (Hynix). Another important observation is that one needs to toggle the "Fan curve" setting to "On", otherwise the auto algorithm tends to run the cards much hotter. I run both at 1860Mhz clock, 987mv in about 29/30 Celcius humid ambient, with temps not exceeding 74 Celcius core and 76 Celsius memory, hotspot max at 98 Celsius (took the highest of both cards).

12. Vlooi

Vlooi Member

GPU:
    GTX 980ti
    Apologies, just to rectify, volts at 1012mv when it hits 1860Mhz. It is set to 987mv for 1801Mhz.

13. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    What do you guys consider a good price for the Radeon 7? Anything under $400? Have a chance to pick one up and dont want to pay to much. Was going to offer $375. Thoughts?

OnnA and warlord like this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Even though 400$ sounds like a great deal if your just gonna gaming on it just get a decent 5700xt.

warlord likes this.
  15. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Radeon VII is more powerful than 5700XT.

Radeon VII rivals RTX2080

5700XT rivals RTX2070S

RTX2080 beats 2070S

If someone can find R7 under 450$ it is the best pick on the market. Not mentioning 400$.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Navi will just get faster and faster with every driver update, it takes less power, less noise and its an actual gaming card. Maybe he can make use of that 16gb buffer idk...

17. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    Wasn't going to go higher than $375. Figured at that price not a bad deal but wasnt sure that why I was asking.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    At that price its a great deal. :D

19. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireNitro V64
    Thanks for the replys

Undying and warlord like this.
  20. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    480 polaris never became better than 390X due to optimizations by the years. VII is a high end gpu, 5700 series were mid-range to upper mid-range,

580 never can beat fury-x in non vram limited scenarios and they pushed 590 ;) Newer arch doesn't mean you can save the day with drivers.

RVII was, is and will be a 'lil better gpu than 5700XT series, at the same price range for ever as long as it get support.

Tiers do exist for a reason IMHO. And it will be never vram or bandwidth limited like furyx series.