Radeon VII (Vega 7nm) - Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jan 20, 2019.

1. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Use Hwinfo 64

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    GPU-z ;)
    Look into clocks in Relive when in Play :p

Use HBCC,
    Chill when needed.
    Enchanced Sync ON.

3. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    Ok. Um, setting fan profile in wattman here, fan not doing as instructed. Set max fan to 67% but it jumps up to 75% when hotspot hits 95c. 95 is within spec, why is it not behaving?

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD

5. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    I settled on downclocking the card to 1600mhz at 0.937v. This card not the best silicon tbh but perf is still good. Playing Anthem at same settings as my 1080ti and perf is shockingly good on the VII, even at 1600mhz, card nice and quiet. It's like a vega 64 lc but with 16gb. :D

Embra and OnnA like this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB

OnnA likes this.
  7. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    What expression is that? O_O + :D ?

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Whoooa just lol ;)

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    From what I have read AMD's Vega series was closing in on the 1080 so the VII pushing to the 2080 or a bit above seems feasible though it depends on the game and what API and other work here, from charts I've seen heavy multi-threading is still a concern for D3D11 so for most games AMD sees a 5 - 15% performance gap and then there's certain exceptions chiefly Assassin's Creed Origins and Assassin's Creed Odyssey where it's a 35% gap.

I'm not sure how the VII is doing though, AMD's little driver shortcomings would still affect the card but the improvements and overall performance gains might lessen the CPU and overhead problem slightly.

I also have much more to try and learn in this particular area and how it works, D3D11.1 and driver command lists as a optional feature which if you were to use GPU Caps Viewer it should show as false or unsupported for AMD but that's also just part of it so on it's own even if a game utilizes 4+ CPU cores (8+ in Creed Origins and Creed Odyssey.) that on it's own doesn't have to mean it's critically reliant on this one feature either and then there are also how GCN as hardware is set up so it's not entirely the driver being a problem either. :)

It probably shows but this is a subject I am not really good at and it's just something I started looking into very recently trying to get a bit closer to AMD's and NVIDIA's various strengths, shortcomings and differences and for AMD the CPU overhead and D3D11 multi-threading and utilization issues were a well known recurring thing that popped up so started by reading up on that but yeah it's quite complicated so I only have a very vague understanding so far and it's hard to say how much of a effect it makes and how much it changes things up when using D3D12 and then there's Vulkan too.
    (But AMD's Windows OpenGL performance is well known so of course Vulkan would look excellent in comparison to that, titles allowing D3D11 and Vulkan or even D3D12 in addition to these two might be more curious to see how AMD handles each respective API.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bfliss/assassins_creed_odyssey_is_an_amd_affiliated/
    [​IMG]
    (37% for Odyssey as it turns out.)

Though the info I have so far shows a 5% performance grow overall from driver results and tests last year so that's pretty good from AMD even if the Vega architecture is probably close to as good as possible in the drivers now with the VII resolving a few of the 56 and 64's shortcomings leading to a nice bump in performance compared with these.

So in short the drivers are still making some nice improvements and it's not just D3D12 or Vulkan either though I would imagine these could benefit AMD and also NVIDIA really well when developers are able to draw upon their full potential and get the most out of the graphics card hardware. Though we're probably not there yet and there's also some stability issues in a few titles that would need to be worked out as well.

Dekaohtoura likes this.
  10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    As for Odyssey and Origins NVIDIA might not be seeing any of their GameWorks graphical features but the games draw upon NVAPI for multi-threading and creates a pretty hefty 8 deferred render context threads I think is how it's called helping with CPU utilization though since it creates 8 of these that also pushes CPU demand up though the game already has high CPU demands so hexa or octa core is likely all but required for good performance in addition to probably a fairly recent CPU from either AMD or Intel due to improvements to single core performance and this type of thing. (DDR4 probably doesn't hurt either in addition to other hardware benefits on recent CPU models and motherboards.)

So that's also a thing although since this can't be disabled or affected it's not really possible to judge how big of a impact this has or if it skews things in favor of or against AMD or NVIDIA though with less CPU cores available the helper threads are going to be a bit of a issue which can be seen from CPU comparison videos seeing NVIDIA usually at 100% at CPU0 (Not a bad thing as such.) and then extending to the rest of the CPU cores sitting at a pretty high utilization overall. AMD then sits at around 60 - 70% since it's not all going through CPU0 and then the others are also a bit lower.

Thus it's a bit of a exception, pretty sure two or four helper threads is more common and this is about the only two games using eight of them too, for the rest I would assume CPU is a big thing for Ace Combat, Project Cars 2 and World of Tanks and then Witcher 3 has GameWorks if that might affect things and then we have Unreal Engine 4 and a few other NVIDIA Game Ready titles though it looks like NVIDIA has also caught up with Sniper Elite 4 which was a strong showcase for AMD GPU's initially.

EDIT: But I am only just starting to learn about this sort of thing, there's so much more and it's also pretty complex and a bit above my skill and understanding so trying to get a better overview and finding info is a bit so so but I find it enjoyable and it gives a bit of a insight into the two big GPU vendors and how they are doing things though now for 2020 Intel might have something too we'll see I guess. :)

Sides CPU is just one part of it, GPU is still important and then there's memory and of course HDD and SSD and how these changes things and removes additional bottlenecks for total system performance. :D

VII's a solid GPU though, quite a solid price too though I don't think AMD has much marginal here due to HBM2 and it's complications with things like the memory interface and total costs though it is a nice card. Next up Navi for maybe AMD has something to show this Summer, going to be interesting to see but I guess it's still GCN before they completely move away from this architecture.

EDIT: And then HBM3 and low-cost HBM(3) plus the HBM2.99 thing or how it was called though I guess that's not ending up on a GPU.

Low-cost HBM if that can be cheaper sans cache might still work well on a gaming GPU though will it stack up to GDDR6 and refinements here although I guess HBM will still retain certain advantages even with LCHBM versions.

Well we'll see, that's nothing for the Radeon VII though but for some future AMD GPU product either next year or a larger Navi GPU if there's still plans for something like that.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
  12. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    I was surprised to see I couldn't keep to 60fps at 1440p with AC Odyssey with the VII, the cause is CPU limitation (with 2700X!). The Radeon drops around 6fps on the 1080ti in CPU intensive areas. Meanwhile Anthem plays better on the AMD card. Weird.

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Hmm another hotspot thread and question but it had some newer answers as to what it was, seems AMD actually clarified how it worked some time ago. Interesting. :)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bi2104/vega_56_and_vega_64_hot_spot_issue_any_official/

And
    That does answer what it is and why it shifts so quickly. :)
    Neat! (And probably a fun thing for overclockers to deal with if it has a throttle around 105 degrees, no wonder water cooling is so efficient then as it keeps the entire die nice and cool, mostly.)

EDIT: Well of course water cooling is effective but comparably so it's not just keeping some part of the GPU die cooled or the VRM parts or similar but all these 32 sensors.
    (Doubled on VII huh, also interesting though I had heard about the 64 figure before in some tech video I think it was.)

EDIT: Also yes the newest version of Anvil Engine in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Origins is pretty CPU bound though a native octa core CPU such as the 2700X should have fared better, that's a bit unexpected.

Guess there's other problems too and just having these eight cores available even from a fairly efficient modern processor can't quite force through it either. Curious to hear, probably more to the issue then whatever it's coming from.

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    For AC:O (New Anvil) Best is to have good RAM OC (LLT) + More than 4GHz on Core.
    Those problems will disappear when ZEN2 arrives.

Im playing AC:O at 1440p Mixed Ultra/High and performance is Fine.
    Try HO settings

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  15. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    The RAM I'm using is 3200 cl14, settings were already optimised (volumetric clouds to medium ect). Dropping the res down to 1080p saw no difference to minimum frames so the combination of the 2700x and VII in AC: O isn't the best. The VII is literally faster than my 1080ti in the other games I am playing though, overall I'm impressed with it.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    1080ti is faster in older games while RVII and 2080 are faster in newer games. Sounds about right.

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    AMD Radeon VII Achieves ~100MH/s Mining ETH – Beats Radeon Pro Duo (Fiji) & Titan V

Radeon VII – Best New Mining GPU?

Compared to the Titan V, the Radeon VII is a much more compelling option. The Radeon VII is immensely cheaper, now available for $680 – $700, whereas the Titan V is within the $3000 range, and the Radeon VII achieves a higher hash rate per watt.
    Compared to Polaris, Radeon VII is a more efficient option. The Radeon VII draws less power than three RX 570s/580s and will occupy a single PCIe slot rather than three, enabling higher performance density in mining rigs, and less heat output.
    As for the Radeon Pro Duo, for miners interested in mining multiple coins, the dual-GPU design may be desirable. With a dual-GPU, miners have the ability to dedicate one GPU too, say, ETH, and the other to XMR, making it a dynamic card.

The Radeon VII’s increased hash rate is largely due to the massive improvement of memory bandwidth over Vega 10.

-> https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-vii-mining-hashrate-beats-titan-v-radeon-pro-duo/

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    :) Moved to Vega thread (more ppl have Vega 1)

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Jackalito likes this.
  20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Another solid performance for radeons family :p

[​IMG]